Chapter 71

I felt Lena's small frame stiffen against my torso and her breathing suddenly became rapid and unsteady.

Her hands latched on the edge of the countertop, her knuckles becoming ghost white from how hard she was gripping onto the surface.

Both of my hands were now on her hips as she slowly turned around, her eyes desperately scanning my face as they were widened to the fullest and completely lit up as she stared at me with what looked like pure relief.

"That's what I call you isn't it?" I asked quietly. "Groupie?"

However, much to my surprise, any ounce of comfort that she had was suddenly drained from her face as it soon dawned on me that for a split second, she was under the impression that all of my memories had returned.

But she soon realized that I only remembered my little nickname for her and nothing else.

My heart sank as I saw the disappointment on her face and I couldn't help but feel guilty for getting her hopes up.

"W-what did you remember?" She asked softly, though I could hear the sadness in her voice as she tried to put up a front.

"I was teasing you for singing alone to Circles. You admitted you were a Post Malone fan and we were laughing together." I said honestly, though I didn't tell her that it was probably triggered because I had seen the video of us on her phone.

"That was the night you taught me how to play beer pong. And the night you called me groupie for very the first time."

Her voice was low and her eyes refused to meet mine as they dropped to the ground. Her entire demeanor had suddenly changed and the happiness that was glowing from her face was now no where to be found.

She immediately pushed away from my embrace and began to walk away but I grabbed ahold of her wrist, my heart unable to take the fact that I had upset her.

"Lena."

I said her name quietly as she allowed me to pull her back.

But she refused to look at me, her eyes still glued to the floor. I tilted her chin upwards with my index finger, making her gaze finally lock with mine.

Thick tears were residing in her brown eyes as she swallowed the lump in her throat, causing a sharp pain in my chest.

I barely knew her but I knew I hated seeing her cry. And I hated even more than it was because of me. Because I couldn't remember her.

"I just need a minute." She mumbled, slipping out of my hands, and made her way to the staircase. I watched as she went up the steps and quickly disappeared from my view.

I ran my fingers stressfully through my hair as I fought the burning urge to run after her and wrap my arms around her. But she clearly wanted to be alone and I knew I needed to respect that.

"What happened? Is she okay?" I heard Vanessa's voice from behind me as I swiftly turned around.

"I-I'm not sure. I sort of remembered that I call her groupie and I thought she would be happy but she became- sad. I didn't mean to upset her, I don't want her to cry-"

"Austin it's okay it's not your fault. She just misses you. Well the other you." She said, placing her hand onto my forearm as she tried to take away my guilt.

"I think she thought all my memories came back when I called her groupie. And she looked so happy. So full of life." I shook my head. "But the second she realized I didn't remember everything, she looked so lost. I just want to get my memory back V. I just want to remember her. All of her."