Chapter 23

Austin: Meet me upstairs. Now

I swallowed hard as I stared blankly at the dim brightness of my phone screen. After nearly five seconds of burning the text message into my brain, I pressed the lock button and slanted my eyes towards Austin's direction once again.

He was slightly smiling and nodding his head as he listened carefully to whatever Brian was explaining to him. On the outside, he looked calm and collected, his usual confidence radiating throughout the room.

What possibly couldn't wait until later on tonight when the party was over and everyone was sound asleep?

"You okay Lee?" Charlie's smooth voice entered my ears, snapping me out of my heavily distracted mind as he placed his soft warm hand onto my thigh.

The bar stools were placed along the front side of the island, putting Charlie and I clearly into Austin's view from where he was standing.

Austin's gaze almost immediately shifted towards where we were sitting as he saw Charlie lean closer to me from the corner of his eye. He glared at Charlie's hand resting comfortably on my leg, before he brought his Bud Light to his lips, quickly emptying the halfway filled bottle.

"Uh- yeah. I'm fine." I turned my attention back to Charlie and gave him a small smile. "I'm sorry. What were you saying?" I asked as I shook my head.

"I was asking if you were seeing anyone." He raised his brow, his kind expression staring back at me.

His question caught me off guard as I blinked slowly at him. But I knew exactly what he was getting at.

"Oh. No, well not really." I mumbled, nervously picking at my fingernails as I thought of Austin.

"Not really or not at all?" Charlie chuckled quietly, flashing his white teeth as he smiled. "Because I would love to take you out on a date."

I saw Austin excuse himself from Brian who was now busy talking to Jay and Chris.

My eyes followed his every move as he smoothly maneuvered his way through the busy wave of people, finally reaching the staircase and cautiously making his way towards the top.

"I mean- I don't really think it's a good idea for me to see anyone at the moment. I'm always on the road now so- yeah." I shrugged my shoulders awkwardly. 

"Yeah I get it." He answered, reverting his hand back to his own lap. "Never could get the timing right with you." He chuckled, referring to when he tried to ask me out when we first met a few years ago. I had just gotten into a new relationship and had to kindly turn him down.

I weakly smiled and felt a pang of guilt as I apologized. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be Lena, it's cool."

My mind quickly shifted to Austin who was probably wondering where I was.

"Charlie, I'll be right back. I'm gonna run to the bathroom."

He gave me a small smile along with a nod as I rose from my seat.

My legs trembled as I made my way towards the stairs, my heels slowly clicking up the steps.

I saw Austin at the very top, quietly waiting for me.