Midnight waltz

The beginning of the wedding ceremony came with magical lights swirling and spiraling in the air above the venue before circling the soon-to-be-married couple, who would be the first to open the waltz. 

"Do you know how to dance?" you whispered towards Sirius while looking at the lights in awe.

"If I know how to dance?! Who do you take me for, (y/n)? Of course I know how to dance," he proudly smirked. "Was that secret invitation to waltz with me?"

"No, but this is-" you stood up and faced him, slightly bowing- "Sirius Black, will you grant me the honor of this dance?"

"You know I'm a sucker for reversed gender roles," he looked up at you, taking your hand as he stood up. "Granting you this dance will be my greatest pleasure."

"Yeah, just go ahead and ignore I'm even here," James cleared his throat. "Go have fun I guess."

"Don't ruin it for us," you frowned, but it soon turned into a smile as Sirius pulled you into the crowd of fancily-dressed purebloods. 

Flawlessly and confidently, he placed a hand firmly on your hip and laced his fingers with yours on the other hand while you put your free one on his shoulder. "You're a natural, aren't you?" you raised an eyebrow as the whole crowd began waltzing in sync. 

"Growing up, it was either ballroom or horsemanship, and I'm not very fond of horses," he shrugged. "Seems I took the right choice, though. Now I get to show off my years of practice and raw talent to my beloved."

"You say 'my beloved' often, have you realized?" you asked, following the pace of the dance floor. 

"Of course. Each time I say it, it's with intention," Sirius hummed, twirling you around. "It's nice, isn't it? Being able to dance like this in the open without my mother yelling at the top of her lungs because I exist."

"...How grim," you tittered. "But yes, I have to agree with you. It's a lovely feeling. Though the thought of James being bored out his mind lingers in my head."

"Now that you mention it..." he held in an obvious laugh. "He'll be fine. All he has to do is think of his dear Lilyflower and all his troubles will be gone."

"That simple?"

"That simple," Sirius repeated with a nod. "The song's about to end. This means we'll have to change partners."

"You don't sound too unhappy about that," you scrunched your eyebrows.

"That's because I'm not changing partners," he shrugged. "It might break the chain a bit, but who cares."

"How selfish of you, Sirius."

"Admit you want to keep dancing with me, (y/n)."

"I won't deny that," you smiled, placing both hands on Sirius' shoulders when the rhythm changed. "Don't you find it peculiar? How the waltz is before the actual wedding?"

"Family tradition. For some reason, the Black family has always done that," he explained. "There's really no point to it, but if it means dancing with you sooner, then that's fine."

"Aren't you a smooth talker," you grinned, adjusting your pace to the new melody.

The mumbling sounds of the crowd died down and the music seemed to get louder, inviting more people to the dance floor, where circles of waltzing pairs were perfectly synchronized. 

Your conversation had slowly ended, and the two of you waltzed quietly for countless songs. There was no need for words. You and Sirius had a comfortable silence, in which intended stares spoke more than sentences.