Detention

The last week of classes before break went by quickly. You hung out with the Marauders and Lily way more often that you would've thought, and didn't say a word to Regulus, not like he tried communicating with you either, he just let you be and continued with his life as if you had never been part of it. Dafne had completely vanished. That, or, she was brilliant at hiding or finding shortcuts around the castle to avoid being seen by you and Remus.

Between you and Sirius had been... odd. Not as awkward as you thought it would have been. He had proven himself to be a great friend, even if you knew you felt more than just friendship towards him, you weren't too sure what he felt. He did try to kiss you, but since then, nothing that hinted any romance had happened.

It was as if nothing had happened between the two of you, and you didn't really know how to feel about that. It's like Sirius avoided bringing up the subject of the black lake, and the whole date in general, but you didn't push it.

Currently, you were seated in the Slytherin common room trying to finish a book before you had to head to detention, which Lily had helped you brush off as voluntary service towards professor Slughorn. And of course he'd believed that.

Dammit. There's no way I'll finish it. You huffed, closing the book and standing up from the comfortable green single couch. Guess I should head to the potions classroom now.

The short amount of hallways you had to walk to get to the classroom were deserted. There was barely anyone around. Of course that didn't surprise you, since tomorrow morning, the Hogwarts Express would drop all of you at Kings Cross for the holidays, and most people were packing or spending time with friends.

You knocked on the classroom door before entering, and when you did, you weren't alone. Of course. The Marauders are here. You chuckled under your breath. All of them were there except for Sirius, who had miraculously stayed out of trouble for the whole week.

" (y/n) (l/n)!" Professor Slughorn exclaimed, heading towards you. " Thank you for offering to help clean up this mess of a classroom. With all the students and potions, I'm afraid everything is all over the place!"

" Not a problem for me, professor! I'm always glad to help!" You gave him the winner (l/n) smirk. " I actually know just the spell and your class will be tidy and spotless." You said, taking out your wand.

" Sorry (y/n), but because of the students who are here by detention, the use of magic is forbidden for this task, or I would've done it myself." He sighed.

You lowered your wand. " So, we'll have to do it the old fashioned way I guess." You shrugged.

" That's the spirit." Slughorn cheered. " Do you mind watching over these three troublemakers for a while? I'm afraid I need to do some important paperwork."

" Not at all professor. Take your time." You reassured, pulling up your sleeves.

Professor Slughorn left the classroom in a hurry, and you were left to babysit James and Peter, because Remus would of course help you out with that.

" To what do we owe this pleasure of having you here, (l/n)?" James mocked, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

" As you heard Slughorn: I'm here to volunteer. I've got nothing else to do." You brushed off. Right. Nothing to do. I could be reading my book right now. You sighed mentally. " Well, let's get to work!"

The four of you began cleaning the classroom, making a lot of dust fly into the air, and taking every single vial out of the cabinets to clean them. It was going to take some time, that's for sure. " Hey Remus." You smiled as you and the Lycanthrope cleaned a table together.

" Have you heard from Dafne lately?" You asked in a worried tone.

" I'm afraid not. But I did ask her sister through our pen pal connection, she says Dafne's still at Hogwarts." He replied.

" I see. Well she's really good at hiding." You sighed. " I wanted to ask you: how do you know Dafne's sister? I'm assuming she doesn't go to Hogwarts since you're pen pals." You questioned.

" You're correct, she doesn't go here. Her sister studies in Castelobruxo, in Brazil." Remus nodded his head. " She's also a werewolf. That's how we became pen pals, through our lycanthropy. She's really helped me understand more about werewolves, and has given me great tips."

You hummed. " That's interesting. I'm glad you found a friend that understands through experience. But Castelobruxo? That's pretty far from here."

" Yes, it is. Apparently the whole family is from South America, but Dafne was sent to Scotland so she could study here." He explained.

" Oh? I didn't know. Now that you mention it, it's true that she speaks with an accent. Well, thank you, Remus. If you hear anything from her, please tell me. Dafne really has me worried." You sighed.

" Will do." Remus smiled and left to help Peter clean a shelf that was too high for him to reach.

" So, what's all the chit chatting about?" James slid on the slippery floor towards you.

" A mutual friend." You answered bluntly. " Are you done with your side of the classroom."

" No. But you're done with this table. So come help me." He shrugged, pulling you by the wrist towards his assigned place.

" Seriously, Potter?" You huffed but complied anyways.

" So, what are you doing over the holidays? I never asked." James asked as the both of you got to work cleaning. " Nothing, really. My father is probably going on some fancy business trip for a while, my mother leaves to France for a week to meet up with some of her acquaintances, and I stay in the manor practicing advanced spells." You said.

" Oh my. Must be boring. What about Christmas?" He insisted.

" Yes, it kind of is boring. And, what about it?" You raised an eyebrow. " Well, don't you guys open presents or something?" James questioned.

" Ah yes. We exchange presents, I guess. The house maid deliver the boxes to my room on Christmas morning." You replied.

James looked at you almost hopelessly. " What about you, Potter?" You returned the question.

" Well, usually it's me, mum, and dad. Of course, now Sirius is part of the family too. He really loves it with us. We open presents under the tree- I know, childish, right? But it's tradition. Oh, and some friends and family come to eat dinner." He explained with a dreamy smile.

" Must be fun." You replied, almost sounding annoyed. " Oh sorry. That sounded rude."

" It's fine. I get that it must be hard with very strict pureblood parents." He sympathized.

You shrugged. " I guess. But that's how it is. I don't let it bother me as much. And now that I think about it, this year will be different!" You cheered. " We're going to an engagement party at the Malfoy's. Did your family receive an invitation too?"

" I don't know. I think I read it somewhere in one of mum's letters. So I guess I'll be seeing you this winter." James chuckled.

You smiled, but at the back of your head, you felt a bid sad. Those were close to the words Regulus had told you when you'd received the invitation: 'I suppose we'll be seeing each other this Christmas holiday then', is what he had said so cheerfully.

" Yes. I guess we will." You shook your head and looked at the bright side of things. " Anyways. Come on Potter, work, work, work! The classroom won't clean itself!" You nudged his shoulder.

" You know, it kind of could if you used the spell you told Slughorn about. Since you're not in detention, it technically isn't forbidden for you." He smirked.

" I SAID GET TO WORK, POTTER!"

" Alright, alright. Calm down for Gryffindor's sake."

Little note from the author: PETER IS COMPLETELY NON EXISTENT IN THIS STORY AHAHAHAHHAHAHA. HIS EXISTENCE ISN'T NEEDED.