Commitment

"Avoiding you?" Sirius repeated with a dumbfounded look as he blinked continuously. "Why would I be doing that?"

"My question exactly," you grumbled. "I just jumped off a third-floor window, so you better tell me what's going on."

"Yeah, I still can't get that through my mind. You doing something so reckless. Then again, I have to admit that you're not the smartest decision maker, my love."

"I'll let that comment slide if you tell me why you've been avoiding me," you scowled, walking next to him towards the castle.

"I have not been avoiding you," he sighed but failed to hide a smile. "I've been planning something, actually."

"Oh, have you?" you rolled your eyes with a scoff. "Care to enlighten me on what that might be and why you couldn't tell me?"

"Well, because it's a surprise, of course," Sirius said as a smirk tugged at his lips. One he didn't even try to hide. "But now I'm not too keen on showing you what it is, considering you'll either kiss me or shove me off a bridge. Maybe both, though I'm hoping for the first one only."

"Didn't you take that into account before you planned whatever this surprise is?"

He shrugged and hummed to a song as the two of you walked into the empty clock tower courtyard. "This would've been the perfect place to tell you what I have planned," he shook his head, "what a shame it's covered in snow and we can't sit. Oh, and that I'm hesitating on telling you now, too."

"Are you really not going to tell me what you have planned?" you sighed exhasperated, walking into the warmer halls of Hogwarts.

"No. You're radiating displeasure, so I'm afraid I'll wait until you're in a better mood," Sirius said, taking off the scarf around his neck a few minutes after entering the castle. "Also, now that I think of it, building up the tension and the suspense is quite fitting. I always love some drama."

"No kidding, really?" you grumbled, putting your hands in your pockets. "...Well now that I've found you, I think you owe me some time together, don't you think? Even if you won't tell me what the surprise is."

"Well you know I could never refuse such a charming offer," he grinned, offering you his hand as he bowed forward. "Would you care for an in-Hogwarts date, (y/n) (l/n)?"

"It would be a pleasure," you replied in the same tone, lacing your fingers with his. "Where to, Sirius Black?"

For a few seconds, Sirius was silent as he thought over your question before his eyes glistened with enthusiasm, and his long hair slightly bounced off his face as he straightened in excitement. "Oh, I know just the place!"

Without giving you time to answer, Sirius pulled you along the halls, walking awfully fast. He darted up staircases until there were no more, and only stopped his frantic rush until he was at the foot of the last staircase in all of Hogwarts. The ones leading to the astronomy tower.

"We... we could've... just... walked, you know?" you gasped for air, leaning your hands on your knees as you caught your breath. "How are you not worn out like me?"

"What do you think has better running endurance, a dog or a bird?" Sirius looked over his shoulder towards you as you looked at him knowingly. "That's your answer."

"So you're telling me animagi gain characteristics from their animal forms?" you asked, wiping some sweat off your forehead as you stood next to him.

"Yeah. You're lucky I'm the one telling you," he nodded, grabbing your hand once more. "I found out when Prongs' eyes glowed when he was awake late at night. Not a very enjoyable experience."