Blood status shenanigans

There was always something about running through the brick wall between stations nine and ten at King's Cross every year that you couldn't quite place as any normal feeling in the world, and even if it was the sixth time you closed your eyes and pushed your trolley into the magical station 9¾ for the beginning of a new school year, you always felt the magical tingling sensation in your stomach as the adrenaline rose within you.

You opened your eyes after almost tripping into your trolley, whose wheels had begun spiraling out of control, but you had caught it right in time, before it crashed into a boy with long, wild black hair and piercing gray eyes. Way to go, y/n, not even on the Hogwarts Express and already almost injuring someone, you told yourself sarcastically as you smiled timidly at the boy as an apology for almost running him over.

The station was filled with laughter of friends being reunited and the tears of parents -mostly muggles- saying their farewells to their children. The fumes of the Hogwarts Express filled your lungs as you breathed out in relief, it felt good to be back. You looked around at the people on the station, most students were hugging their parents good bye and entering the train, it was almost eleven in the morning, and the Hogwarts Express was never one second late to leave. 

You looked over your shoulder, as if you were hoping your mother and father would be behind you, hugging each other tightly as your mum waved a handkerchief in the air as an adieu, with a tear of happiness rolling down her smiling cheeks, but that didn't sound like her at all. The only time they had ever accompanied you to station 9¾ was in your first year, when instead of reassuring and encouraging you, the two had lectured you once again about the importance of being a (l/n), and how you had to keep the family tradition of being a Slytherin. Just how your father had been, and his father before that, and his father before. 

The old hags can shove their small lived delight of me being a Slytherin in places that have never, and will never see the sun. You rolled your eyes. Going to Hogwarts was some sort of a vacation for you: away from your parents and all their blood status shenanigans and a requirement to put up a façade for the sake of their lavish reputation, because of course, you are a (l/n), one of the most powerful and wealthy pure blood families in all of England, or how your parents like to brag at their 'friends': in all of Europe. 

Rolling your eyes at the observation you had made about your bloodline, you proceeded to board the train, which had whistled for the first time, announcing it was going to leave in a couple minutes. Brilliant, you scoffed to yourself. Better go find a seat before the train starts moving.

Most the train cabins for the Slytherins were full, not like you cared anyways: there wasn't someone in specific who you would want to sit next to. You stumbled across a cabin that was open mid way a peeked inside: there were only two boys, both of them with black hair, one had greasy medium length hair and the other with a straight and neatly arranged undercut, both the Slytherins had their eyes looking out the window and emotionless stares as they watched the landscape go by in fast and blurred lines.

 As odd as it sounded, you could take a guess the boy on the right, the one with the neatly combed hair was a pure blood, and the other one maybe a half blood, but who held a lot of pride, just by the vibe they gave out. Guess this will do, you told yourself in a sight as you knocked on the sliding door of the cabin. Not like I have much of an option. You added mentally.

" Excuse me." You asked with a posh tone as you pointed your nose upward. " Can I sit here?" Not like they will decline, that would just be rude, yet sort of funny. You muttered in your head, starting a little conversation with yourself was happening more and more often each year, nothing to be the slightest concerned about, though.

The boy with greasy looking shoulder lenghth hair didn't even bother turning towards you when he hummed and muttered an almost illegible: " Yes." You entered the cabin and took a seat on the same bench as the other boy who hadn't even spoke or looked at you, but you made sure to sit on the complete opposite side of the bench. 

You noticed a pair of eyes on you, and you scanned the small cabin, your gaze meeting that of the greasy haired boy, who looked at you with his eyebrows furrowed. HAH, totally not creepy. Keep staring at me like your planning your next murder, dear 'friendly' looking stranger, you mentally stated as you falsely side smiled faintly at him, not really knowing how to respond in these types of awkward situations.

You swung your feet from under the bench like a child, which was very unlike yourself, you had never really had the time to act like a child when you were one, but the silence between the three of you was creating a very uncomfortable feeling in your gut and you just couldn't make it go away, especially since the boy seated diagonally from you was sneaking peeks at your direction constantly, while the one on the same bench hadn't seemed to notice you had even entered the cabin.

This continued for over half an hour. Thirty minutes of silence and not so discrete glances at you coming from the raven haired boy, while the other one looked out the window without growing tired of it. But unlike him, you had gotten very fatigued from this. How do I even start a conversation without sounding like a total creep? You asked yourself, rolling your eyes mentally at the thought you had little to no social skills whatsoever. Geez, thanks mum and dad for exposing me to other people my age I could talk to when I was young, you added sarcastically, not even knowing how badly you wanted to tell them that to the face.

" I'm (y/n)." You huffed at the boys, hoping it would sound normal to introduce yourself as a method to break the ice. " (y/n) (l/n)." The mention of your last name appeared to catch the second boy's attention, who had turned his head from the window and looked at you for a split second before directing his gaze at the train station that was beginning to blur in the short distance away.

" Severus Snape." Replied the greasy haired boy from across you in a muffled tone. You both eyed the other boy, who didn't look like he wanted to start a conversation, but neither did you, not really. Noticing he was being rude and ridicule, the other black haired boy looked away from the window, but didn't stare at either of you. " Regulus Black." He muttered. 

Black... you repeated in your head, trying to place from where you knew that last name. Of course! The Black family! You told yourself, wanting to slap your forehead as you noticed the obvious that had taken you some time to remember to the fullest, but of course, you remained unreadable on the outside, when mentally you had just slapped your brain for being so dumb and slow. The Black's were part of the Sacred twenty eight, which the (l/n)'s were also a part of. You had heard your parents talk highly of the black family, especially of the man of the house: Orion Black. To your eyes, the man appeared to be a jerk, and the boy beside you: Regulus Black, seemed to be his son. 

Don't they have another son? In Gryffindor I think. you mentally asked yourself, trying to see if you remembered your parents talking about the offsprings of the greatly admired Orion and Walburga Black, but you suspected they would even mention the name of the heir that defied his parent's beliefs on blood purity and who was sorted breaking the house tradition, so technically, you couldn't place the name nor the appearance of the brother, but you had your doubts he would look similar to Regulus.

" Pleasure to make your acquaintance." You muttered, forcing a faker smile than the affection your parents showed for you. 

---

Hello there!

This is an edited author's note written in July 2021, so it's been a while since this story has started. I just wanted to say that a considerable amount of chapters at the beginning will not have the best grammar. 

I never thought I would get so invested in this story, but obviously, I did. Grammar mistakes get fixed in future chapters, and writing drastically improves as well. I'm asking to give this story the benefit of the doubt considering that this might be a rocky start for some.

ANYHOW, I AM TOO LAZY AND BUSY TO GO BACK AND EDIT ALL THESE CHAPTERS, SO BEAR ALONG :D

Thank you for choosing to read The Project, I hope you'll enjoy it!

-Camille