Applicants

The sleep you had been looking forward to getting over the weekend would have to wait, to much of your dismay. The Slytherin Quidditch team would be holding its yearly tryouts this early Saturday morning, and Regulus, in all his grandiose kindness, had told you about it only one day in advance.

"Goooooooooood morning, (y/n)!" Ansel exclaimed, waving his arm in the air frantically as you walked out of the common room. "How are you on this lovely daaaaaaaay?"

"I am tired, so please quiet down a bit," you grumbled. "Why are you so energetic, may I ask?"

"Quidditch, (y/n)! Quidditch!" he hummed happily. 

"Liar. You most likely had all the coffee on the Slytherin table," Dustan the beater snickered. "And that's a lot of coffee. I know from personal experience."

"What can I say? N.E.W.T classes are exhausting," Ansel sighed, throwing an arm over the beater's shoulders. "I need something to fuel me for Quidditch."

"I thought your pure love for Quidditch would be enough to fuel you," Ambrose said. "Lucinda would be disappointed."

"Lucinda's not here to scold me about it," he shrugged, his smile leaving his face. "...I miss Lucinda and Alban and Adelaide, too."

"Yeah, they really left a hole, and since Augustus left the team, we're short on general players," Evan agreed. "No second beater, no keeper, and maybe no general chaser..."

"Well, that's why we're holding tryouts this early in the year," Regulus intervened, leaning off the wall. "It should be time to head to the Quidditch stadium. Let's go."

"I didn't know you were Quidditch-crazed enough to hold tryouts at this hour," you hummed, catching up to Regulus as the six of you walked down the empty hallways of the castle.

"I'm not," he yawned. "They're this early exactly to see who is determined enough to join."

"You're taking this captain thing seriously, huh?"

"Of course I am. Quidditch is important for the team, and for all of Hogwarts as well. I can't afford to slack off," Regulus said, placing his hands in his pockets as a breeze from the courtyard blew by. "Do you think I'll be a good one?"

"I do. Not one like Lucinda, but I believe you'll make a fine captain in your own way," you shrugged. "You're Regulus Black, after all."

"You're not wrong there," he smirked, walking into the stadium changing rooms first. "Okay team, gear up quickly and head to the field."

"Oh, (y/n)," Ambrose called out, handing you a folded green robe with your last name and a number embroidered on it. "Your Quidditch robe."

"Number six... This was Lucinda's number, right?" you asked, raising the robe in front of you before slipping it on. 

"She told us- no, she forced us to give you the same one," Dustan said as he put his chest pad on. "Former captain's last will."

"Sounds like something she'd say," you tittered, grabbing your broom alongside the other members of the team.

"Remember to look intimidating," Regulus ordered before walking towards the pitch in front of the group. "We're the Slytherin Quidditch team, after all."

Evil (l/n) face activated, you grinned mentally, crossing your arms as you looked at the group of applicants defiantly enough to be considered a glare. What a diverse group we have here...

"Alright, listen up!" Regulus exclaimed, stepping forward to address the small crowd. "If you think you'll be able to slack off in this tryout, leave the stadium and don't look back. As the new captain, I assure you all that this team won't repeat the same defeat suffered in last year's Inter-House Cup, so only those determined enough to lead Slytherin to victory should stay."