Postmortem

It was a sunny but cold spring day the day of Marco's funeral. It was a small gathering, even a charming man like himself did not have many friends after moving to England.

His estate lawyer had met with Remus and you earlier in the day, giving you Marco's will and postmortem wishes. Marco did not have many possessions- he was a minimalistic man, but the lawyer had handed the two of you individual letters written by the deceased, which you had held onto and reread for hours.

'(Y/n), I've written this to avoid regret but with hope you will not have to read it in a long time.

I will never be able to express to you how grateful I am that you took care of Dafne when the two of you were still at Hogwarts. I know it was very special to her, and I'm sure she was also grateful to have met you before passing away. As an older brother, it reassured me that she had someone like you in her life, as I knew you too cared for her as I did.

I too, am extremely fortunate to have befriended you, (y/n). An incredible student in who I saw so much potential, and an equally amazing friend to connect with and get to know. Please don't mourn me very long, as you have goals to focus on. Get Sirius back, I'll count that as a way to repay me anything you might feel indebted for.

Now that I'm no longer here, I'm afraid. I'm frightened about what will happen to the people left behind. Take care of yourself, but please also look after Remus since I won't be there to do so; that is the only request I beg of you. Watch over him and help him carry on with his life. 

I will confess to you that I am a selfish man. I don't want him to move on. I cannot help but not want him to find someone else even years after my death, but I also do not want him to suffer for long because I am gone. I trust you understand my dilemma.

It is quite difficult to end a death letter when one is still alive, but I can only hope for the best for you going forward, (y/n). Post tenebras lux; After darkness, I hope for light.

M.H'

Folding the letter once again, you held it tightly before slipping it into the pocket of your black blazer. Even in your postmortem letter, you still only talk about others, you selfless fool, you scoffed, walking back towards the small crowd that had met at the cemetery. 

You found Remus sitting on the ground leaning against a willow tree next to Marco's grave, staring aimlessly into the distance. You sat next to him in silence, grabbing one of his hands in both of yours. You stared at the marble tomb, which read the phrase Vivamus, moriendum est; let us live, since we must die.

"...When I imagined him coming down an aisle, I never expected it would be in a casket," he whispered, leaning his head on your shoulder. "You know... I was going to propose to him... Back in 1979. But Dafne had died, I couldn't be that selfish. But now I hate myself over it. I should've done it."

You covered your mouth with your hand to muffle a cry of frustration. Remus and Marco were meant to have a happy ending. At least one of the Marauders had to. But death spares no feelings, and it destroyed the small hope of a better life after all the loss of the war.

The once sunny sky had started filling with clouds, and as the scenery became darker, it set the ideal scene for the funeral to end- it would've been too unbearable for any of you to keep it going any longer.

"(Y/n), please do the finishing words for me. I don't want to face anyone- I can't." Remus tugged on your sleeve, looking at you with desperate eyes.

"Stay or wait in the carriage if you'd like. I'll take care of it," you stroked his cheek, pulling him into a quick hug before he scurried away to where Claude awaited.