The great lake

Light refracted through the water beyond the window of your shared dorm, illuminating the small note you held. The grin you had was starting to hurt your face, but you couldn't stop smiling after reading the paper again. 'meet me at the shore of the great lake at nine' was the only thing the note said, signed off with a small star.

You slipped on your leather jacket silently to not wake your dorm mates before sneaking out of the room and the empty Slytherin common room towards your rendezvous point. "I can't believe I'm smiling like an idiot so much," you whispered to yourself.

The note had no context, but just the thought of what Sirius might have planned out of the blues was enough to make your heart flutter for the duration of the walk. You were welcomed into the empty courtyard by a nice morning breeze, which brushed against your skin as you walked along the south of the Hogwarts castle. 

The shore of the great lake was visible from the top of the small hill Hogwarts was located on, and from the distance, a colorful quilt was set on the ground, with Sirius sitting on it, staring at the body of water.

He looked over his shoulder when the few twigs and leaves on the ground crunched under the weight of your feet as you headed towards him with the same unshakable grin on your face, which Sirius was soon to return.

"Oh my, what have I done to deserve such a beautiful smile?" he asked as you sat down next to him on the quilt.

"I don't know, you tell me. What do you have planned? After all, your letter was yet again very brief."

"A date at the shoreline of the great lake, love," Sirius explained, putting his hand on top of yours before rubbing his thumb on your palm. "It's the end of September, and it'll get cold soon, so I thought we should enjoy being outside in this nice weather while we can."

You squeezed his hand as you looked around, towards the water, the trees, and finally Sirius. "This is a familiar scene. I remember being here with you very vividly."

"Last time we were here was... almost a year ago. December of 1976," he nodded to himself. "Though I've made sure James won't interrupt anything this time."

"That's good to hear," you laughed, bringing a knee to your chest. "He does have a talent for terrible timing."

"I didn't tell him where I was going this time," Sirius snickered, observing you. "I see you brought your jacket."

"I had the feeling you would too, so I thought we should match," you shrugged, lacing your fingers together before staring back at him as well. "Is that eyeliner? You look really good in eyeliner, Sirius."

"I know I do," he smirked, running his hand through his loose hair to brush it away from his face. "I wanted to look my best for you, (y/n)."

Yet again, Sirius' way with words had made you flustered, and you instinctively looked away for a few seconds, still not used to the compliments he constantly gave you. "...You always look good. Sometimes it's really unfair."

Sirius laughed and scooted closer to you before wrapping his arms around your waist and leaning his head on your shoulder from behind. "Now, now, don't be jealous. Isn't it great that your boyfriend is the definition of beauty?"

"Okay, that's enough for you. We get it, you're handsome. No need to brag that much," you scoffed, bumping your head against his.

"Well, you're beautiful too! Just not as beautiful as me."

"I will smudge your eyeliner if you say another cocky thing like that," you rolled your eyes and pushed him off to turn around and face him.

"Please don't. It takes skill and precision to make it look like this," Sirius sighed, stretching his hands towards you.

"You're awfully touchy today, Sirius."

"Well I've missed you," he shrugged, grabbing your hands before swinging your arms along with his. "Do you mind? Is it okay with you if I'm 'touchy', as you call it?"

"Surprisingly, it's fine," you smirked. 

Sirius nodded and laid on his back closing his eyes, still holding onto your hand tightly before tugging on your arm to silently ask you to lay down as well, which you did after a few seconds of him insisting. 

"I like this," he sighed after a nice silence between the two of you. "Spending time with you, I mean."

"So do I," you smiled, grabbing his hand without taking your eyes off the clouds. "Who would've thought, huh? If someone told me I'd willingly be on a date with Sirius Black one year ago, I would've laughed... or hexed them. Maybe both."

"How mean of you, (y/n)," Sirius grumbled. "...If someone would've told me the same thing, I probably wouldn't have believed them. That the great (y/n) (l/n) who never looked my way would agree to go out with me."

"That doesn't sound like you at all," you hummed, turning your head to the side to look at him. "Aren't you the great Sirius Black, the prettiest person to have walked these halls? Hogwarts' resident bad boy with a leather jacket and a motorbike?"

He opened his eyes and looked at you too with an innocent smile on his handsome features as he leaned back on his arms to sit. "But you're still (y/n) (l/n), the most slytherinish Slytherin, intimidating but flawless, who I've fancied since- never mind."

"Oh no! You can't just not tell me now!" you exclaimed, sitting up. "Pleeeeease?"

"Fine... Since the end of fifth year," Sirius mumbled as he pulled his knees to his chest and hid his face, but you could clearly see how red his ears had gotten. 

"Wait, really?"

"Yeah, I guess that's when it started," he shrugged, leaning his cheek on his knee so you could see him. "Didn't expect that, did you? Neither did I if I'm being honest."

"You're right, I didn't expect that, but what a nice surprise," you nodded and scooted towards him. "Can I lean my head on your shoulder?"

"Merlin and his white frizzy beard, (y/n)! Please do," Sirius grinned. "You don't have to ask something like that. My shoulder is all yours, anytime you want."

"I'll keep that in mind," you tittered. "Oh, your hair smells nice."

"Of course it does," his smile turned into a confident grin. "My hair is the definition of sculpted by the gods."

"There he is, the Sirius Black I know," you rolled your eyes. "Just take the compliment you confident asshole."

"Oh please, you love it when I'm a confident asshole." 

"Considering I'm dating you, I suppose I do," you sighed. "It's still a bit odd to say it out loud. That we're dating. Though I like the sound of it."

"I do too," Sirius agreed as he stood up and dusted off his clothes. "You know, I'm jealous of you, (y/n)."

"And why is that?"

"Your partner is way hotter than mine," he burst out in laughter as he started stepping back.

"Wait- but we're dating?" you scrunched your eyebrows before the realization hit. "COME BACK HERE SIRIUS ORION BLACK, YOU LITTLE-"

☆☆☆ AUTHOR NOTE☆☆☆

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE cocky, confident, heartthrob Sirius, but insecure and timid Sirius just hits different. BUT UH, WE STILL GOT 'CONFIDENT ASSHOLE' SIRIUS, though I really need to put in some of that more vulnerable side of him, because I have ✨plans✨

Okay, this is a nice little filler (AT LEAST I MADE IT NICE) to give me time to build up towards a plotline I actually know for sure I'm going to use. The dots are being connected... THEY'RE BEING CONNECTED.

Not me being jealous of (y/n) as if I didn't make this story- 

-Camille and ᓚᘏᗢ