Harry Potter; The boy who lived

Sirius and you had taken almost a year to yourselves- to heal, to catch up, to find your place in the post-war world that had been emptied of those you cared about. It was well-needed time, but someone important weighed on your shoulders every day: Harry Potter.

With Sirius out of Azkaban in a stable condition and Harry at four years of age, there was no better time to bring his godson back into the wizarding world where he deserved to be. 

Your eyes followed Sirius' figure in the reflection of the mirror of your room as he stopped behind you, both hands on your shoulders as he laid a kiss on your head. "You look absolutely enchanting, my love."

"I'm hoping it'll give a good impression." You took a sharp breath, standing up after fixing the collar of your blouse. 

"It most certainly will." One of his hands trailed down to your waist to keep you close. "Are you worried? I've rarely seen you stress about first impressions, especially for a four-year-old."

"...We're not cut out for parenthood, you know that, right?"

"Yeah, that was obvious from the start." Sirius shrugged with a small nod, holding you in a light hug. "But he's James and Lily's boy. He's our Harry, too. You wouldn't have fought for his custody for so long if you knew you wouldn't be able to take him in."

"I know. I'm reassured that you're here to do it with me... And if we're not very good at it, Mildred and Claude can always help."

He laughed at the last comment and grabbed your hand, leading you out of your room towards the grand staircase. You followed in silence and anticipation. It was another of those moments that you had waited for so long and were unsure how to react to.

"Can we take her on a ride?" Sirius called out as he leaned against his motorbike at the entrance gate of the Estate. "It's been a while."

"Admit you just want a grand entrance as your first impression, you Cassanova." You crossed your arms with a smirk. "And yes, we most certainly can."

Climbing on the seat behind him, you wrapped your arms around Sirius tightly as the motorbike drove on land for some momentum before taking off the ground as abruptly as it always did. You stroked your thumb on the fabric of his leather jacket, in the space over the scar that Azkaban had left on Sirius' shoulder under the tattoo of your name in ancient runes.

"Still scared of flying?" he asked over the sound of the wind, looking over his shoulder.

"At least you're legally allowed to."

"..."

"Right. I forgot you refuse to register the motorbike," you grumbled and rolled your eyes, earning a small laugh from Sirius.

The rest of the flight eventually turned to the normal use of a muggle motorbike as you approached the town of Little Whinging. Arabella Figg lives on one of these streets, you thought to yourself as you drove through the town. Both Dumbledore and you had asked the Squib to watch over Harry until you could be with him.

"It's my second time in a Muggle neighborhood."

"And both were with me," Sirius hummed. "It seems so long ago that I took you to that Muggle town for Christmas."

"It was long ago... Almost seven years?" You nodded against his back. "We've been together for a while."

"No regrets, huh, (l/n)?" 

You couldn't see his face, but you knew he was smirking. "We're not playing Quidditch, don't call me that."

Neither of you said anything after. You could feel the nerves from yourself and Sirius. The two of you were doing something completely unknown, something important, but nevertheless, you had no idea how it would go- and that was scary. 

Sirius stopped the motorbike at the end of Privet Drive street and hopped off, offering his hand to help you down. "Nervous, my love?" 

"How could I not be." You let out an unsure laugh.

Arms locked, the two of you walked down the street of suburban houses, counting down the numbers before walking into the driveway of number 4, Privet Drive. 

You knocked on the door with little hesitation. It didn't take long for a woman to open the door, and as she saw you, she jumped back with a loud gasp. "You- you're that woman from my sister's funeral."

"Yes, Petunia, I am." You nodded as you crossed your arms with a stern look. "I'm sure you know why we're here."

"Bring Harry and his belongings right now, I'd like to bring my godson home with haste," Sirius added with a frown.

Petunia scurried back into the house, most likely hurrying to get wizards away from her home as quickly as possible. It didn't take very long for her to come back with a small bag in one hand and a young boy in the other.

"...Hello, Harry." You crouched down to his height with a smile. "My name is (y/n), (y/n) (l/n). This is Sirius Black, my partner."

Harry looked back and forth between you and Sirius with nervous eyes, unsure of what to do or what to say with the limited words he knew. He was a carbon copy of James and had the bright green eyes of Lily. Your heart ached bittersweetly at the sight of him.

"I'm your godfather." Sirius grinned as he ruffled Harry's already messy hair. "If you'd like, we're here to take you home."

The young boy's eyes lit up as he threw himself into a big hug with Sirius; as if he had known him for ages. Sirius was stunned before wrapping his arms around Harry tightly, standing back up with him in his arms. 

"You two go wait by the motorbike, I'll join you soon," you said before Sirius kissed your cheek with a nod and took Harry with him.

Waiting until they were halfway down the street, you turned your attention back to Petunia, who was nervously fidgeting with her hands and hiding almost half her figure behind her door.

"I thank you for letting us do this without much trouble." You slightly bowed your head. "Your collaboration saved me a lot of paperwork."

"My husband isn't fond of the boy- or of magic for that matter, so it wasn't hard to decide." She crossed her arms as she cleared her throat. "...Do take care of him, please. He's what's left of my sister."

"Don't butter up your words, Petunia. Just keep on living your Muggle life away from the knowledge of ours." You stepped back into the driveway, not sparing a second glance in her direction. "Harry will have a life better than you could ever imagine going forward."

You walked up Privet Drive street with a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. You had done it- you had Sirius and Harry at your side. What you had fought for so long to have was finally coming to life.

Seeing Sirius with Harry on the motorbike at the end of the street was enough to slowly dissipate the anxiety that had eaten you alive that very morning. You were definitely not fully prepared for the responsibility of raising a child, but maybe it wouldn't be so bad after all.

"Are we ready?" You smiled at the pair as you all sat on the motorbike, with Harry between Sirius' arms to have a better view of what he would see. "It'll be your very first taste of magic."

Sirius drove out of Little Whinging quickly and took off into the cloudy sky of London. Harry was laughing over the sound of the wind- it was like music to your ears. He really was Lily and James' boy, so full of life for the entire ride back to the Estate.

You hoisted him off the motorcycle and carried him on your hip as you looked at the large manor in front. Mildred and Claude were waiting at the door, and Sirius stepped beside you with Harry's small amount of luggage in hand. "This is it, Harry. Welcome to the (l/n) Estate, your new home."

☆☆☆

When the once gloomy place becomes a loving home to welcome others into... I'm so proud of myself for this evolution- like I'm not even going to deny how much of a self-absorbed individual I become when it comes to this. My pride and joy.

I kid you not when I say this is literally the last chapter. BUT I HAVE ONE LAST THING PLANNED FOR Y'ALL SO FEAR NOT.

-Camille