The trial of Igor Karkaroff

Possibly the most ground-breaking trial that the first wizarding war would see would soon take place in one of the Wizengamot's trial rooms. A multitude of high-ranking Ministry officials had gathered in the wooden bleachers surrounding a cage large enough to fit a single person in the center of the room; all awaiting the arrival of the convict.

Dressed in your plum-colored robe with the elaborate silver W on the left side, you entered the busy trial room, zigzagging your way through the crowd as Dumbledore himself had called for you to sit next to him.

"Good evening, Dumbledore." You bowed your head in courtesy before sitting down. You had learned to drop formalities with the Chief Warlock, as he had told you to do so many times in the past. "I'm grateful you requested I sit with you for this trial."

"Why of course. You were a student I saw great potential in; a brilliant mind at that." Dumbledore smiled at you as he ran a hand through his long beard. "It's only natural I want to oversee you in your endeavors in the Wizengamot."

"I'm flattered, though I am not acting as an interrogator tonight," you tittered, "I'm afraid you won't have much to observe from me."

Dumbledore shrugged and skimmed the room, seeming to eye every individual present. "I observe with much more than my eyes, young (y/n)."

Alastor Moody sat in the row above the two of you, mumbling to himself. You could feel his intense gaze drilling holes in the back of your head. The same intimidating intensity you had felt weeks ago when the Imperium In Imperio had been announced. 

"Alastor, you've joined us. That's a surprise." The older wizard exclaimed as he looked back at him. 

"I haven't got a good feelin' about this trial, Dumbledore. I'm just here to look out for trouble."

"As cautious as always," Dumbledore hummed before placing a hand on your shoulder. "Oh, I've been wanting to introduce you to (y/n) (l/n), a brilliant witch and prospect successor to my position in the Wizengamot."

"...It's a pleasure, Mr. Moody. I've seen you before but never had the chance to properly introduce myself." You cleared your throat and turned around to face the war-ridden Auror. "Congratulations on the capture of Igor Karkaroff, I heard you'd been tracking him for months."

"Nothing to congratulate me about- just doing my job," Madeye Moody grumbled as he crossed his arms and leaned back against the bench. "Heard he was a close friend of your parents, that Karkaroff. Attending this trial will do you no good, kid."

"That won't be a problem, as I am not my parents." You slightly glared at him. "Mr. Crouch is here, it seems the trial will begin."

You turned your attention back to the center of the room- towards the cell. The mechanisms installed in it were starting to move. Igor Karkaroff ascended into view, gripping onto the metal bars with shaking hands as Ministry guards adjusted protruding spikes to prevent him from moving.

"Igor Karkaroff." Barty Crouch's voice echoed throughout the trial room. "You have been brought from Azkaban to present evidence to the Ministry of Magic. You have given us to understand that you have important information for us."

He did not look like the proud man you remembered. Igor constantly shivered and shook, and his face was sickishly pale and sunken. "I have, sir. I wish to be of use to the Ministry. I wish to help. I- I know that the Ministry is trying to- to round up the Dark Lord's supporters. I am eager to assist in any way I can..."

"Should your testimony prove consequential, the Wizengamot may be prepared to issue your immediate release. Until such time, you remain in the eyes of the Ministry a convicted Death Eater," Crouch warned. "Do you accept these terms?"