Draco

As Sirius had said, grieving was a luxury one could scarcely afford during war, and it was soon after Sirius had accepted his brother's passing that he was called back to the Order of the Phoenix to join the frontlines. 

The usual routine had been imposed into your lives once again, and the exhaustion of having to endure it had been piling up for months. It was on a cloudy July day that you were able to take a breather away from the chaos of the Ministry of Magic.

"I'm glad you've invited me, Narcissa. Coming to Wiltshire is a great escape from everything I have to deal with back in London." You smiled as she welcomed you at the door of Malfoy Manor.

"It's my pleasure, (y/n). I'm glad you could come to discuss this matter with haste," she said in a tired but eloquent tone as the two of you walked towards the tea room of the manor, accompanied by a house elf that trailed behind.

"As you know, I birthed my son Draco in early June," Narcissa said as the two of you sat across from each other. "He's a beautiful boy; and a quiet baby, at that."

You took a sip from the tea in your cup, keeping it at mouth level for a few seconds before placing it back on the small table next to your seat. "Congratulations, it's amazing news. I'm sure you and Lucius must be very happy. I haven't seen him at the Ministry as I did before, so I haven't been able to talk to him about it in a while."

"Yes, I'm sure. And I know we haven't kept in touch much since your graduation... You must know our current predicaments make that difficult."

You were indeed painfully aware that the Malfoys and you stood on opposing sides of the war, but nevertheless, your two families had established good relationships for centuries, and it wouldn't have been the first time you associated with Death Eaters.

"Worry not, for I didn't reach out either." You shook your head. "I was quite surprised when I received a letter from you. Especially considering what the content was."

"Lucius is not here, as you can see, but I know he'd agree with my decision. I would really like you to be Draco's godmother... for many reasons." She twiddled with her thumbs nervously, slightly losing her composed demeanor. "You offer the stability that reassures me, and if something were to happen, I'd feel relieved knowing Draco would be in your care."

"Don't talk as if you're doomed for something to actually happen." You frowned, grabbing Narcissa's hand and looking her in the eye. "Of course, I'll agree to be his godmother with no hesitation, but don't condemn yourself like that."

Narcissa looked at you with a slightly shocked and emotional expression before covering her face with her hands. "Forgive me, (y/n), I should be more composed... but I'm just so worried! My Draco doesn't know of this world we live in. He has nothing to do with any of it, and I'm afraid Lucius and I will drag him in."

"It wouldn't be your fault, as even a sheltered child cannot escape the war in some way or another," you said, swishing your teacup. "The best you can do is try, and I'll be here if you fail."

"Have you always spoken so sternly?" She wiped her eyes accompanied by a small sniff. "You seem to have grown tenfold since the last time I saw you."

"Things have happened- I'm sure you're aware of some of them." You leaned back against your chair. "I only changed as was necessary."

Narcissa stared at you with glassy eyes but smiled sweetly, fixing her behavior almost instantly. "You know, that also reassures me. I hope my son can grow up to be someone as impressive as you."

No, for the only thing I am is a liar. You bit the inside of your cheek to try and keep a neutral facade. "I'm sure he will... Actually, where is Draco?"

"At this hour he is sleeping- a child of routine, I must say," she chuckled and stood up, beckoning for you to do the same. "Would you like to see him?"

You nodded and followed Narcissa out of the tea room, matching her step through the hallways of Malfoy Manor. It was just as you remembered it from the many times you had been there as a child- the place seemed to be frozen in time.

"How are things at work?" Narcissa asked as the two of you headed towards the nursery.

"...You know I can't disclose that to you."

"Right," she cleared her throat in discomfort before opening the door of a room in silence.

The inside was decorated in a variety of greens catered to a young child's taste. There was a singular crib and a rocking chair, as well as a few magical toys floating throughout the roof. The two of you walked towards the crib and peeked inside.

Baby Draco was resting, his porcelain skin and thin blonde hair flawless on his calm sleeping face. "He looks like you, Narcissa." You looked back at the mother.

"You think so?" She raised an eyebrow. "I've been told he resembles Lucius the most."

"Oh no, I see the resemblance to you the most," you whispered to not wake Draco up. "...I was curious about something. Why didn't you reach out to your sisters? Shouldn't they have been your first contact about godparenting?"

"I'm afraid not." Narcissa shook her head. "Andromeda's been shunned from our family for marrying a... Muggle born, and I cannot phantom Bellatrix taking care of a child... My family's situation is rather dire at the moment, so I'm glad you're here."

You smiled at her with a small nod and looked back at Draco. He would be someone you would look after regardless of what could happen to Lucius and Narcissa, and the pure innocence that the baby gave off made you want to protect him.

The Potters should also be expecting Harry any day now... you thought. I wonder when I'll get to meet him too.

Even if James and Lily had written to Sirius and not you about being Harry's godparent, you were not mad. After all, you had not been the closest with the two of them for longer than Sirius and Marlene, so you understood their decision regardless of how much it had bothered you at first.

"Thank you for inviting me over, but I'm afraid I must get going," you said as the two of you left the nursery to not disturb Draco's sleep. "My schedule is very busy."

"Of course, I shall keep you here no longer." Narcissa nodded as she accompanied you to the door of Malfoy Manor.

"I will visit more often if time allows," you mentioned as you grabbed your things from a house elf that had fetched them and prepared to apparate to the Ministry from the courtyard of the house.

"(Y/n), I wanted to thank you once again," Narcissa called out from the entrance of the manor. "I know this can put you in a difficult position, but you've accepted nevertheless. I'm glad I have someone like you that I can rely on for this."

You looked back at her with a grateful stare, feeling a small knot in your throat. People expressing their gratitude towards you was very bittersweet. It made you happy to know you were appreciated, but you felt like you couldn't accept it because of all the terrible things you had done.

"Take care of Draco and yourself." You waved at her as you began to apparate. "I'll be there to make sure he is untouched by your side of the war."

☆☆☆

Draco's godmother but not Harry's. I actually really love that (and that's obviously why I made it happen)

Ngl this is a wack chapter but at the same time I like it because it's a nice breather for what's to come next. Foreshadowing? You know I love it.

Y'all I'm so jetlagged but it works to my benefit bc I'm naturally awake at 4am and I just write. JETLAG IS THE SOLUTION TO MY PUBLISHING PROBLEMS >:D

-Camille