Gown

It was a nice, chilly evening for December. You didn't really know if that was true, but you assumed because there was no visible snow falling outside your bedroom window. You were laying on your bed staring at the ceiling, with a couple letters in hand. The letters you'd exchanged with the Marauders and Lily for the past week.

One of them always made you laugh, it was the first sent by James and Sirius. The writing style changed, and based on the ink stains on the paper, you knew they'd been fighting over a quill. You'd spend your days since the beginning of the holidays sending and waiting for letters to arrive. Never in your life had you exchanged letters with anyone so frequently, but it had kept you sane in the (l/n) estate. 

Even if every day in the manor had been absolutely unbearable, you were actually looking forward for tonight, because you would be leaving this dammed place. The day of the engagement party between Narcissa Black and Lucius Malfoy had finally arrived, and you had to admit you were excited for it. The Malfoy's had always been good at organizing gatherings.

A soft knock came at your door, and you stood up swiftly, placing the cherished letters into a small box on your bed side table. " Miss (y/n)?" Came the voice of Mildred from the other side of the room. 

" You can come in, Mildred." You sighed, and the handmaiden courteously entered your room. " Is it time to get ready to go to Malfoy manor?"

She nodded. " Yes, miss (y/n). The dress that Mrs. requested for you has arrived." Your mother was very persistent when it came to looks. If the Malfoy's were known to throw perfect bourgeois parties, then the (l/n)'s were famous for their appearances that were always on point. 

When your mother had gone to France for the first week of the holidays, she'd ordered special garments for the engagement party to be made from the family's personal stylist who lived in Paris. " Very well. I'd like to see it, please." You said. 

Mildred opened the door to your closet, where she had placed the delicate dress not long ago. " Wingardium Leviosa." You swished your wand to take a better look at the dress your mother had requested you wear for the night. 

Once again, she wouldn't let the (l/n)'s be dressed with anything, of course, but this year, she had gone over the top. A dark metallic green- almost black- short cap sleeve silky gown floated in front of you. It appeared that the fabric would cling to your waist comfortably, yet not loosely. There was a lack of sleeve in your opinion, but of course you wouldn't be able to complain. 

With another movement of your wand, the dress began turning in place, so you could see all the details. Your jaw dropped when it got to the back. There is no back. You huffed mentally. The gown was indeed backless, but the one your mother had ordered of you was different. This is where she had gone over the top. 

Attached to golden strands coming from the short sleeve and the waist of the gown was a golden snake shape jewel. You scurried towards the floating dress and grabbed the golden snake accessory. Oh, bloody hell. There is no way. You rolled your eyes, but they weren't deceiving you. 

There was really a snake jewel that replaced the back of the gown. It was pretty big, going from between your shoulder blades to your lower waist. " Hopefully it's not heavy. There's no way I can get rid of it." You mumbled to yourself. 

The snake was of course, the family's recognized emblem. The (l/n)'s were obsessed in making their name and symbol known throughout all purebloods, that was a fact. What better way to do that than literally having the family crest's snake my back?! You grumbled.

" Mildred?" You exclaimed as you swished your wand so the dress would float away to the side. 

" Yes miss (y/n)?" She cleared her throat.