The first wizarding war

The Ministry of Magic had finally been able to eradicate the Death Eaters that had terrorized the magical and Muggle worlds for over a decade. The Dark Lord had been defeated by Harry Potter, the child of the prophecy, and the end dawned over the first wizarding war. 

"But at what cost?" You gritted your teeth, swishing your bottle of firewhiskey mindlessly. "They're all gone... Regulus, Sirius, James, Lily, Dafne, baby Harry, Peter... What good is it that it's over if they're not here?"

You were supposed to play a major role in the events that would lead the world post the wizarding war, but instead, you had been laid off and sent back to the (l/n) estate; forced to constantly think about those you couldn't save without having work as a way to distract yourself.

It was lonely. You were still in utmost shock about what had happened in Godric's Hollow the night of October 31, but the feeling of loss weighed down on you unbearably. The dreams you had of Lily and James eventually introducing Harry to you had crumpled away into nothing but longing for something you would never have.

The snow-covered landscape was supposed to bring so much joy now, but lately, it was a bittersweet reminder of what used to be the loveliest moments of your life. I should've celebrated his birthday and finally seen everyone in safety again by now, you bit the inside of your cheek to choke back a wail.

"It's not fair... It's so not fair." You took another long swing of alcohol.  

"Miss (y/n), they're here," Mildred knocked on the open door of your study. 

You looked up at her and put away the bottle. The maid waited for you at the door with pitiful eyes before following you out into the hallway. At least what she had said was good news. The unbearing solitude of your own thoughts was over.

"Please change that look on your face," you told Mildred. "You've always had a tendency to mirror the feelings of others, and it isn't a nice expression right now."

She nodded with a small sigh and headed towards the door of the Estate, where Claude already waited by the guests. Marco and Remus stood at your door with a few suitcases behind them. During the Potter's funeral, they had agreed to move into the Estate, as being mostly alone in the large manor was driving you crazy.

"Thought you might need our company earlier than planned," Remus smiled. "How are you holding up?"

You took in a sharp breath and wrapped an arm around each of their shoulders, letting silent tears spill onto their shirts. "Being laid off sucks. There's too much useless time on my hands, I have nothing to do but dwell in misery and alcohol."

"You do reek of it." 

"I appreciate the honesty Marco," you huffed and rolled your eyes, stepping away from the couple. "I also appreciate you two being here. Really, it means a lot."

"Don't you thank us." Remus shook his head. "Life post-war isn't easy. We all need support and understanding."

"On that subject, my apologies for bringing this up so suddenly as I know it's difficult to talk about, but Remus and I need to understand exactly what happened. Ministry officials are censoring too many things- they're too busy taking care of the loose strings of this war to upkeep The International Statute of Secrecy." Marco delicately gripped your shoulders. "But as I like to think, atrox melior dulcissima veritas mendaciis; 'the bitter truth is better than the sweetest lies'."

"You are correct- as you always are," you sighed, rubbing your temples. "...Let's talk in the tea room, this will be a heavy and long subject."

The two of them followed behind you hand-in-hand in silence. Anxiety and tension were visibly rising as Remus and Marco awaited clarity and you overthought how to explain the current situation to them because you had yet to fully get a grasp of it yourself.

"As you said, Marco, I won't spare the two of you from the truth, so please be prepared because it isn't a pretty one," you warned as you sat across from them on the three couches that you had never replaced. "You know Lily and James were murdered by the Dark Lord. There was a prophecy that foretold his defeat at the hands of an infant; that baby being Harry. 

"Even I am not aware of the full details, as Mr. Crouch has made it so I barely have access to information other than what is disclosed by the Ministry- something about keeping me away from the stress of the truth for the time being or some gibberish like that. 

"Peter's dead, too. The only thing remaining from him is a piece of his finger. It is said he was a victim of Sirius' onslaught after he sold off James and Lily's location. He's suspected of being responsible for the death of a dozen Muggles, which is why he was sent to Azkaban without even a trial." 

"...That's unbelievable. I can't even begin to imagine the Sirius we know doing something like that," Remus gasped, covering his face with his hands. "What of Harry?" 

"Harry's been taken to Lily's sister- a Muggle family of three. We saw her at the funeral. A woman by the name of Petunia Evans," you explained. "I wasn't given custody of him. I mean, I've never met the boy, but it was a reasonable request, no?" 

"Marlene and Sirius are his godparents and neither of them are here to take care of him. You have no legal ties to any of them, and James was an only child. It's unfortunate but inevitable that he was sent to Lily's sister." 

"Do you think you could raise a child, (y/n)?" Marco stared right into your eyes with boldness. "In the current situation, would you even be prepared to take in and care for Harry?" 

You averted his gaze because you didn't have an answer to that. Your life was falling apart because most of the people that helped keep it together were gone- murdered, disappeared, or imprisoned. 

"I must be selfish," you let out a dry ironical laugh, blinking away frustration tears. "How could I even think about bringing Harry into such a messed up life like mine?" 

"It's true that many bad things have happened to you- to all of us, but that doesn't mean it can't get better. Even if it's been really hard to find, I would still look for hope," Remus reassured with his warm smile, "and Marco and I will be here to support you- so we can support each other." 

"...Yeah, you're right." You nodded sternly, looking back at your werewolf friends. "I'll get him back." 

"Pardon?" 

"Sirius- I'm getting him back." You stood up and stared out the snowy window of the tea room. "I know him better than anyone, he would've rather died than sell off James and Lily's location. I'm going to prove that and get him back from Azkaban no matter what." 

☆☆☆

Beginning of avenge and revenge era??? 

This is not even funny The Project is so (relatively) close to the end like woah how when who where what did that happen? I'm going to work my ass off so that I won't have to go on another hiatus before finishing but I'm literally so unreliable. 

THE FACT I HAVE TO HOLD BACK ON FORESHADOWING BC IT'LL BE LITERAL SPOILERS IS KILLING ME 

- Camille