Making a statement

You dragged your feet down the courtyard corridor, unwillingly heading towards the staircase that led to Serpentine Corridor, where the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom was located. It might be one of your favorite subjects, but you knew Marco would show absolutely no mercy to the N.E.W.T students for the first class coming back from winter break.

"That amount of sulking is unlike you. Is everything okay?" A high voice coming from behind you asked. 

Turning around with a small shocked jump, you were met with the petite figure of an all-familiar Hufflepuff, who looked at you with a worried expression drawn on her features. "Dafne!" you smiled down at her. "You always appear out of thin air, one might think you're a ghost."

"I know my way around the castle," she shrugged. "So? Is anything the matter?"

"I'm dreading your brother's class, that's all." You shivered at the thought of what Marco would have in store for the first class of the day. "You know how he is when it comes to teaching."

"It's the first N.E.W.T-level DADA class since winter break, isn't it..? Oh Merlin, good luck," Dafne chuckled nervously. "Can I walk with you?"

You nodded as she matched her pace to yours, heading towards the same staircase. "Is this not making a detour for you, Dafne?"

"Not at all. I have Ghoul Studies," she shook her head. "If I'm being honest, I'm quite glad I bumped into you in this hall. Peeves has a tendency to pester students here, seems he's taken a particular liking in bothering me."

"Well, you're in luck then. Only professor Dumbledore and the Bloody Baron are known to keep Peeves in check, but as a direct descendant of the latter, I might be of some help if that sneaky poltergeist shows up."

Dafne stopped in her tracks with widened eyes, almost dropping her textbooks. "What?! No way! (Y/n), you're related to the Bloody Baron?!"

"I guess you can say it that way. My mother's family tree dates back centuries in detail," you explained, reaching the stairs before sighing at the thought of having to climb them. "But tell me, why Ghoul Studies?"

"I thought it would be an interesting optional class," she said, falling a bit behind you on the stairs due to her shorter height. "Apart from heading towards the dread of my brother's teaching, how are you, baroness (y/n)?"

"Oh, drop that!" you tittered, reaching the top of the stairs. "I'm doing great. I envision many interminable study sessions and sleepless nights from now on, but a part of me is looking forward to them."

"I bet so! You want to join the Wizengamot, don't you?" Dafne exclaimed with her usual bubbly enthusiasm as you nodded. "That's ambitious, but I'm sure you'll make it. After all, you're (y/n) (l/n)."

You laughed at the last comment and stopped when you reached the intercepting hallways, each one leading to your respective classrooms. "See? No Peeves," you smirked. "I guess I am (y/n) (l/n), descendant of the Bloody Baron."

"What a mighty title. Peeves is surely quaking within a wall," she said, fixing her glasses. "Well then, I shall hold you back no longer. Marco doesn't like students being late... considering he was late for his first class."

"Good luck in Ghoul Studies," you called out as you split ways.

"You're the one who needs luck in N.E.W.T classes with Marco!"

Waving Dafne off, you hurried to classroom 3C, walking in with a few other students, amongst them Remus. "Good morning," you hummed as he sat at the desk behind you, on the seat near the window like usual. 

"Morning," he yawned.

"Someone looks tired."

He nodded, burying his face in his arms with a sigh. "You'll understand why soon enough. Just give it no more than five minutes before we both share a headache."