XLIII

"Hey." 
The voice was soft and gentle and it floated like a feather through his consciousness. He opened his eyes and saw Brett's face, that lovely face he had seen a thousand times, the face he loved; so close now, just over there on the other mat. The light of the sun was already shining through the roof of the yellow tent, casting everything around them in a soft, muted light. 
"Hey. How long have you been awake for? What time is it?"
Brett smiled. 
"A bit. No idea what time it is. I didn't want to move and wake you."
Brett bent forward and put his arm around him. He kissed him gently on the edge of his mouth. 
There were soft sounds coming from outside already; the sound of a zipper being opened, a muted 'good morning'. 
"Hmmm. I could stay here forever." he whispered, softly enough so whoever had said good morning wouldn't hear. Brett smiled. 
"Yeah, me too, but we would float out of this tent in about half an hour I think."
Eddy grinned softly as he leaned over and buried his face in Brett's neck. It was true, it was already getting fucking hot in here. He closed his eyes and nuzzled. Brett smelled great; like a mixture of his after-shave from yesterday, Mrs. Yang's wash powder and his own sweet, sweet smell. He hooked his leg around Brett's and held him tight. Brett's hand was on his back, stroking him softly all the way from his neck to the small of his back and back up again. 
Oh, this was heaven, and he wished he would never have to leave. 
Last night had been heaven too, of course, after they had finally been able to break away from the fire and go to bed. He allowed the beautiful images back into his mind for just a moment. Their mouths, welded together, his nails digging into his love's back...
Yeah. Heaven. 
He cleared his throat and looked up again. 
"We should probably get up or we'll never leave. We're going to Sydney, right?"
Brett nodded. "Yeah. Just the four of us though, Lily and Matt are visiting her aunt in Sydney, remember? And Todd's still refusing to tell us what we're doing, the travel operator extraordinaire that he is."
Eddy laughed and shook his head as he sat up and pushed the sleeping bag off him. He picked up his shorts and dragged them on, then he threw a t-shirt over his back. 
"So, you getting up or anything?" he teased then. 
Brett was showing no signs of planning to move as yet, he was lying back on his mat with his hands folded underneath his head. He smiled. 
"Yeah, some point, I guess. I was just enjoying the show."

It didn't matter how many times Brett said things like that to him, it was still hard to believe that this beautiful man really felt that way about him. God, he really, absolutely was the luckiest guy alive. 
"Thanks. You're not so bad yourself." 
He gave him one more quick kiss, and then he opened the zipper and climbed out of the tent awkwardly. Matt was sitting on his hunches by the stove, heating up water for coffee, he guessed. Lily was nowhere to be seen and Todd and Ian were cross-legged, huddled on the tarp. Todd was rubbing his head and groaning quietly. 
"Morning, guys. Bit too much beer last night, Todd?"  he quipped as he walked up to them. 
"Piss off, Eddy." 

It was already getting quite normal to walk to the cars with their light bags and pile in. Brett and Eddy in the back, their great friends in the front. Ian was driving again today, even though Todd seemed to be over his headache by now. 
"I should get my license when we get back." Eddy said quietly to his boyfriend as Ian drove from gravel onto tarmac, going towards the main road to Sydney. Somehow he hadn't gotten it yet, just because he had no funds for a car anyway, and he could walk or take the bus anywhere. But look, what kind of adult had no driver's license?
He settled a bit deeper into Brett's side and looked out of the window at the little bit of the coast he could see from here. Right now he was so happy that he felt like nothing would go wrong in his world. 
Like, ever.