CXXXVII

They must have pulled the sheets over them at some point, because they were lying under them when Eddy woke up. More rested than he had been in a long time, he knew straight away. He was still naked, lying against his love, and he had slept through the night. 
It only took a moment for the images of last night to come back into his brain. 
Oh my God, had that really happened? It had simultaneously been the best, and the most awkward thing ever. 
Even though he hadn't moved a finger Brett stirred next to him and opened his eyes. And he could see it play out in him exactly the same way. There was that tiny little shine of his eye, and then there was the slight colouring of his cheeks. Eddy smiled. 
"Yeah."
"So... good morning. That... that was something else."
"Yeah."
Brett glanced at the clock. 
"We need to get up, right? Good thing you woke up, because we never set an alarm clock. We'd've been late."
"Yeah."
Eddy was aware that he had other words in his repertoire, but right this moment none seemed to be forthcoming. He got up and searched for the clothes he dropped last night. For some reason the trust Brett had put in him seemed to have changed something, seemed to have made them even closer. It certainly made him feel like a million dollars. 
They got dressed quickly and silently. There was no need for words, now. 
Todd and Ian had already left. Eddy grabbed a couple of bagels from the fridge and held one out to Brett without words. He smiled and took it, threw his violin on his back and put his shoes on. 

It was a very different experience, walking into the con today. He felt taller, somehow. He looked at the glass wall, where just yesterday he had rested his head in disgust, sure that Brett would leave him, or something like that. 
The glow spread further when he thought of what Brett had actually been planning. He squeezed Brett's hand gently when he was sure no one was watching them, and hoped he understood. 
"Hey, guys! You're here! We have rehearsal in like five minutes. Haven't you warmed up?"
Eddy looked up and smiled at their great friend, who was there at the bottom of the stairs, his cello case leaning off one shoulder. He would need other words than just 'yeah' now, right? 
"Yeah."
Brett stepped forward. 
"Yeah, we forgot to set the alarm. But we're not late."
Todd's eyebrows waggled up and down. 
"Well, there's a first time for everything, hey? Come on then, we're in 116."

The day passed quickly in a daze of rehearsing, lessons, more rehearsing, practise. Then some Chinese take out, shared between the four of them in their living room, and then even more practise in their studio. But all the while, with everything that he did, he could feel that glow deep inside, that faith that Brett had had in him. 
He knew exactly what he wanted tonight, if Brett was up for it too. 
Just the thought of it made him glow more, every time it swirled around his head. 
And Brett was the same, he was sure. He kept catching him, all throughout the day, distracted, his eyes far away. He even made a couple of mistakes that Eddy knew full well he wouldn't usually make. 

He was just about to suggest they each take a shower and then, finally, turn in for the night, when suddenly the door bell rang once, twice. His eyes shot to the clock. It was way past ten. 

Wait, what the fuck?