LXXIV

After ten minutes Eddy was buzzing. 
Oh my God, Brett hadn't been exaggerating, had he? This really was something completely different from even the best youth orchestra he had been in. Everyone was focused, on the ball, even if they were sight reading. Once a bowing had been discussed it didn't take five minutes until everyone got it; no, everyone just wrote it down and looked back up at the conductor. 
Wow. Was this what life was going to be like here, all the time? 

Before he knew it Mr. Heart smiled at them and waved them away. He packed his violin with glowy cheeks. 
"So, any good?"
Brett's face was radiant, his smile beaming from ear to ear. 
"So good!" he enthused. But why was Brett so radiant? He had been in this orchestra before, right? 
Brett blinked at him, but he didn't say anything else while he put his violin away and slung the case on his back. 
"We'll have to hurry to make the meeting."
Eddy nodded and followed him out. 

He was getting beyond nervous as he was following Brett through the halls of the con and up the stairs on the other side of the building. Brett, who knew his way around, who knew everyone, who looked so very happy to be back here after the summer break. Who the receptionist knew by name. Was he paling in comparison yet? But once Brett pushed open the door to reveal a biggish room with a couple of grand pianos on one end and a whole bunch of students chattering on the other, he relaxed. 
He wasn't the only new one here, after all. He would be okay. And at least he had Brett to hang on to, instead of being here all alone. He followed Brett to a group of kids in the corner and tried to look like he belonged there. 
"Hello gang!" 
He recognised the voice from when he had auditioned and he turned around to see that face, that kind face with blue eyes under blonde hair. Mr. Hill looked just as kind as he had then. 
"Let's all take a seat and we'll go through this schedule."

An hour later Eddy was following Brett again, but this time to another practise room. They had had a coffee with their quartet in the cafeteria and then Brett, ever suave, ever at ease, had scored yet another key. Brett closed the door behind them now and turned to Eddy, that glow he had had all day spreading further down his face, over his cheeks, seemingly growing into his dark, dark hair.
"What's up?" he asked him.
Suddenly Brett looked all demure. He scuffled from side to side and looked away awkwardly. Eddy waited quietly until he talked.  
"I, er... I just have to say how happy I am to have you here."
Brett's tone was soft but oh, so weighted, and all at once it clicked in Eddy's brain. Wait. Was that why all the smiles, all the radiance? Really? Was it because... he was here?
"You've looked happy." he said softly as he looked down at his feet. God, he was feeling shy, so shy. I mean, if Brett had just been happy because he was back here, and it had had nothing to do with him, he'd look like a right arse, right? 

But Brett was suddenly very close to him. 
"I've been happy. It was different, when you weren't here. I know that's stupid because we were never in the same school before but still. It's better like this."
Brett tipped his chin up before he could think about what to say in return. His eyes shot to the closed door, and then he leaned forward and kissed him gently. 
"I get to do this." Brett whispered, and he kissed him again. His lips were soft and moist, and so inviting that Eddy couldn't help himself: he groaned and pulled Brett closer, their tongues suddenly together, allegro con fuoco. 
He could feel that Brett was getting excited, but he understood when Brett let go. 
"These doors don't lock." Brett said hoarsely, with a disapproving look towards the offending door. "We'll have to come up with a solution for that one day."
Eddy chuckled quietly. 
"It won't be a moment too soon."
Even though he couldn't carry on kissing him there was a warmth in him, spreading through his veins. Look. He knew Brett loved him, of course he did. But Brett had been here, at the con, had developed here, had made friends here, and he hadn't. And maybe he hadn't realised before how worried he had been about that. But now, after what Brett had said, it seemed like he had this place, suddenly, a little place, a little nook that had been designed just for him. 
Now it was like he belonged here.