LVIII

Yeah, as promised he had been sore, his feet heavy, his legs protesting every step he took, but at least he had not been so sore that he couldn't move at all. So he had simply gone through the day, acting as if nothing at all had happened, and everyone had had fun, he thought. There were only a couple of days to go until they went home now, and if for nothing else Eddy was going to make absolutely sure they would be great for Brett's sake. And for everyone's sake. 
During the day that shimmer he had felt, that resolve had grown, and by now he had decided exactly what he was going to do to make last night up to Brett. Before, he hadn't been sure if he would ever have the courage, but now he knew he did. Well. He thought he did, anyway. So despite all the shit that had happened he had enjoyed the day they had had and he smiled at Brett now over the table in the restaurant, over the remains of the burgers and chips on their plates. He couldn't help but shiver slightly in anticipation of what he was planning, the tremor running down his spine despite the heat. 
"So, I've seen a couple of houses we can look at when we go back." 
Eddy studiously ignored the pang he felt at the mention of the house and nodded enthusiastically at Todd.
"Cool! Close to the con?"
"Yeah, one of them is like four blocks away, and nice and close to the bit where the bars are too."
Under the table Eddy's foot was out of his flip flop and on Brett's, caressing him with his toes like he would with his hands, with his lips at another point. He sent him a look and he saw the answering little shiver in Brett's face. 
Oh yeah.
"Sounds good, Todd!" Ian piped up. Ian had been a bit quiet, all day, but Eddy had never seemed to have a chance to talk to him. He looked okay, though. God, he hoped he was okay. 
"Yeah, we should definitely go and check them out next week, if we can."
"I'll call the agent and set it up. Mornings are good for everyone, right?"
Brett grinned suddenly. "If you mean Eddy is free? Yeah. If you mean Eddy will be on time? Well, I don't know about that."
Eddy rolled his eyes and increased the pressure on Brett's foot a little while his friends erupted in laughter around him. 
"Yeah, yeah. I'll be there. Don't worry." he said slightly sulkily as the others took bites of their food again. Only slightly sulkily though, because of course Brett had a point. That's why he was giving him that little lobsided smirk now that he loved so much, right? That was why his eyebrows where wiggling in irony. 
Oh fuck, when would he even tell his mum about these plans? 
He quickly pushed that thought to one side. 
Let's not think about that now. Look at the house first. That'll be early enough to make any decisions. 
"It'll be awesome, with all of us there." Brett said quietly, his eyebrows back where they belonged. Everyone nodded. 
Yeah. It would be. 

It was about an hour later, all the food eaten and the cokes drunk, when Todd got up. 
"Turn in, you reckon?" 
"Yeah, sure." he replied. He tried not to let his voice show how much he had been waiting for this moment. The shiver pulled through him again, but stronger now. He got up, groaning softly at the pull in his tired legs. Then he waited by his chair for a moment so he could follow the group out of the restaurant to where the cars where waiting. The heat outside was still intense, even so late in the day, the warmth shimmering above the asphalt of the parking lot. He hung back slightly, managing to tug at Brett's shirt so he did as well. He could almost feel the energy crackling between them by now. Brett turned to him with a slight question mark in his eyes. He didn't say anything in return, he just gave him the most sensual look he could muster. Brett's eyes widened and he licked his lips. 
Oh yeah. 
"I have a surprise for you when we get home." he whispered then, soft enough so the rest of the group wouldn't hear. 
"Oh?" Brett's voice was instantly breathy. 
Eddy nodded. "Yeah. I hope you'll like it."
Brett blinked and looked down at the ground for a moment, before looking back up with an expression that could start a forest fire. 
"I'm sure I will."