CXLIII

This had, without a doubt, been the longest twenty four hours in the history of the world. He had taken Lily to her parents' and helped her get settled in with Brett, while Todd and Ian went to Matt's house to pick up some clothes and stuff. There had been no way in the world they were going to let Lily handle him on her own, had there? And Todd had told him, when he came into Lily's parents' house with holdalls full of stuff in his hands, that he actually hadn't said a word to Matt. That he had just given him the stink eye and packed up Lily's belongings as quickly as he could. So Eddy had smirked, patted him on the shoulder and told him good man. Then the four of them had filled her cupboards together, and when everything was done at last he had given Lily the longest, longest hug. Lily's mum had smiled kindly at him as they left. She didn't know anything about the baby yet. Lily had been adamant she was going to tell her parents when they were alone. 
Eddy had shrugged as Todd had looked at him questioningly about that one. 
"It's the Asian way. You don't let others see your dirty laundry." he had told him, half unpacked bag in his hand, and Todd had seemed to understand. 

So now that they were finally back in their room he walked to the balcony and opened the double doors. It was completely dark out, but the moon was almost full, hanging heavy above the horizon. In the silvery glow he could just about see the contours of the park underneath. He took a deep breath of chilly night air, and gripped the railing tight. 
God, what a mess. 
He could sense Brett behind him before the hand came on his shoulder. 
"Hey."
He moved very suddenly, pulling Brett in, burying his nose in his neck, in the unruly dark hair, inhaling deeply. 
"Hey." he whispered. 
They stood there for a long while, just breathing, being. Relaxing. Then Brett turned his head and kissed him on the neck. 
"You okay, there?"
Eddy let go so he could look at his face, contoured in the moonlight 
"Dunno." he said honestly. "It's been a long day."
What did Brett want, now? He knew full well what they had been planning, a day ago when the world had looked normal still. But he didn't know if he had that in him, now. He was exhausted. 
"I know." Brett said gently. "But you did good, Eddy. Real good."
"Really?"
To be honest, Eddy had felt so awkward the whole time. Never sure whether he was doing the right thing. 
"Yes, really. You were a great friend to her."
"Well, so were you."

Brett was quiet for a moment, looking out over the dark lake below. The moonlight glinted off it, making it look like liquid silver. 
"Thanks. You tired?"
"Exhausted."
"Me too. Can we get to bed? Or do you want to stay out here a bit?"
One last look at the moon. It was shining on everyone, arseholes, pregnant friends and his love alike. 
"Yeah, of course. Let me just brush my teeth."
"Okay. See you in a mo."

Brett was already in bed when he came back, the overhead light in the room already off. Eddy looked at the curtains, but decided to leave them open. He padded over to the bed in the dusk and slid under the covers. 
"You good?" Brett asked softly, as he extended his arm so Eddy could put his head on it and snuggle into his shoulder. 
"Yeah. Is it going to kill your arm if I fall asleep like this?"
Brett chuckled once. 
"Nah. It'll survive. Who needs his arm to play the violin anyway?"
He was kidding, of course. Still, Eddy contemplated moving. But no. No. Because this was so comfortable. Brett's calming presence seemed to envelop him, seemed to keep him safe. 
How would he have slept, had he still been in his mum's house? He knew full well it would have become a night full of anxiety and worry. 
Not now, not with Brett by his side. He closed his eyes and hummed contentedly. He could have known, earlier on the balcony, that Brett would know what he needed. Or maybe it was what he needed too? 
"I love you." he murmured. 
"I love you too." Brett replied, but he was already drifting.