Chapter Ninety-Seven

a/n: trigger warning, mentions of suicide during this chapter.

Kai's Pov

"Easy, you're the problem,"

"I'm the what— Jade I don't think you heard me right, Ari—"

"-No, I did. You can't blame Ariana for past mistakes, when you keep getting with her, knowing it's still bothering you. Plus, you're leading her and Billie on. Either you want to be with Billie or Ariana, but you can't pick and choose whenever you want because they won't wait for you for much longer. You have growing to do." She explained, staring down at her cup as she mixed her drink in her hand.

"But I love Ariana, yet, I like Billie,"

"Do you think you would've been happily married to Billie if you hadn't called off your engagement?"

I shrugged, looking at the younger girl. "I don't know. I know that it would hurt to see Ariana move on."

"What the hell kind of game are you playing?" Jade asked, shaking her head. "You want to keep both of them strung along with you, but you don't want to see them move on? You're toxic. I'm sorry but you are, and I don't think you deserve either of them with this kind of attitude,"

"You're right," I muttered, sighing.

She was completely right, they both deserved better. I was toxic to them, I was probably causing them both pain, and that was the last thing I wanted to do. Ed was right about me, I'm not good for his daughter.

I'm no good for anyone.

"Hey, I'll see you tomorrow. We have an early filming day and I want to get some rest. Love you K," Jade said, with a small smile. She got up from her spot, before collecting her things and deciding to leave.

"Bye loser, don't crash into anything this time," I chuckled.

"Fuck you!" I heard her yell.

My life was chaos at the moment. Ever since Chicago, I pretty much ghosted everyone. I didn't want to cause more drama, especially with Billie nominated for an award, and Pete coming home to Bella and little Bella. Lauren was also pretty pissed at Pete, and she was dealing with things on her own after finding out about John and Victoria. The rest of my castmates texted me every once and a while, like Billie's family did, but I only replied sometimes. I didn't understand this. I didn't understand how I became like this. Did it start after Nick died? Or when I started dating Billie? Or was I always like this and never noticed?

"Hey, I can't believe I'm asking this, but who do you buy from?" I mumbled, into the phone.

"I'll be over in 20, what do you need?"

Ariana's Pov

"Hey, where's Kai?" Mom asked, as soon as she stepped inside of my house. I invited my family over for a small dinner so I could announce that I was gonna step back into acting for a role.

I shrugged, "Oh, she uh, she's at home,"

Frankie looked at me suspiciously, "You're fighting?"

"No, we're just taking time apart," Truth is, I hadn't heard from her in two weeks. I was worried about her, but I figured she was just avoiding me.

"I talked to her back in Chicago, and I'm so happy you guys picked each other. I can't wait for you guys to get married," Frankie beamed, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "You think she's gonna do it anytime soon? Everyone knows you want to be married before you're 30."

Mom smirked, with a small chuckle. "I think so as well, Frankie. They're practically married now, why wouldn't she?"

"Hmm, I hope so," I said. "Anyways, I ordered food. Are you guys hungry?"

"Oh yes. The girls kept me up all day so I wasn't able to eat," Frankie sighed, wandering off into the kitchen.

"I didn't wanna say this while Frankie was here, but the ring is almost ready. Apparently, the last touches are being added!"

"Wait, what? Chris is done that fast?!"

"Yup, he's amazing. Have you planned out your proposal?"

"Mama, I don't even know if we're still together,"

"Ari, what are you talking about?" She said before I told her about everything that happened in Chicago. She stayed silent after I broke the news, and I was pretty nervous about what she was gonna say.

"She hasn't reached out in 2 weeks," I added, showing her my phone.

"It's okay, Ari," She sighed, embracing me as I let a few tears fall. "Sometimes people walk away from commitments because they're scared of losing you, they'd rather walk away now before things get too deep. She knows marriage is right around the corner for you both, so that's why she's walking away now. After everything that's happened, I think she has a right to feel scared about if you're gonna leave or not. That's why she's attracted to Billie because she and Billie aren't as serious as you both, so she's not as scared of losing Billie, compared to you. She's damaged Ariana, and I think she's scared you're gonna finally break her,"

"What about this space she's giving me?"

"I think she needs you more than ever, but she won't allow herself to admit that."

"So you're saying I should go to her?"

"You know her better than anyone," She smiled, "Frankie and I will be fine. Yes, I'm sure,"

Without another word, I followed my Mom's advice and drove to Kai's. She was right, I did know her better than anyone, which meant she wouldn't be at the house she shared with Billie. She would be alone, at her other house. As much as I didn't wanna admit it, I was nervous for this proposal. I had it all planned out at first, with her siblings playing a big role in it, but after their argument in Chicago, I didn't think that was gonna be a good idea. So maybe something intimate... with just us.

November maybe?

December was always full of events.

Yes, November was perfect actually.

Pulling up to her driveway, I used my keys to get in and the house was quiet. It was pretty clean, with lots of papers pinned to her calendar. For June alone was a movie premiere, filming for the sequel, meetings to discuss her career, etc. My thoughts were interrupted when I heard a noise coming from upstairs.

"Kai! It's Ari, I'm coming upstairs!" I yelled, receiving no reply.

When I reached her room, I was frozen, only feeling the scream I let out. She was slumped across her bed, with her skin slowly turning blue, and her lips spread apart. Pills trailed from the bathroom, as some were even spilled near her.

I rushed over to her, shaking her as hard as I could while I tried my best not to break down. I was scared, most then I ever have been, she was dying right in front of me and there was nothing I could do. I didn't have my phone because I was in such a rush that I forgot it at home.

If I came earlier none of this would've happened. She would still be here.

Everything was happening so fast. I was searching her whole house, looking for her phone. Only seconds after I left her bathroom, I found her phone in her kitchen, next to her toaster.

Deep down I wanted to believe she was still with me, I wanted to believe I was dreaming, and that she'd be right next to me when I woke up... but after dialing 911, and staying by her side to the paramedics came, this fantasy I created became harder to believe, as she only got colder, and darker shades of blue.

The next thing I was conscious of, was fighting to ride in the ambulance with her.

Neighbors of hers even stepped out into the streets, wondering what was all the commotion going on outside.

While everyone else barely got a glimpse of her face, I was busy repeating the death of my girlfriend.

7:53 pm.