32

𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚋𝚎 𝚊𝚏𝚛𝚊𝚒𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚙𝚊𝚖 𝚖𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚜, 𝙸 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚖 <𝟹

The sorting continued, the first year students began split off into the houses they were sorted into and were cheered on by their housemates.

"Creevey, Dennis!"

Dennis Creevey staggered forward, nearly tripping over a bag. He walked up and sat on the stool.

"GRYFFINDOR!" the hat shouted. He smiled widely and hopped of the stool, he sprinted to the Gryffindor table.

"Colin, I fell in!" he said excitedly, throwing himself into an empty seat. "It was brilliant! And something in the water grabbed me and pushed me back in the boat!"

"Cool!" said Colin, just as excitedly. "It was probably the giant squid, Dennis!"

"Wow!" said Dennis.

"Dennis! Dennis! See that boy down there? The one with the black hair and glasses? See him? Know who he is, Dennis?"

Harry looked away.

"Oh! It's the boy from the train station! Mum said that he and that girl were doing bad things-"

Fred and George stifled their laughter as they heard the small boy continue to talk.

Ron still seemed confused, though Hermione hid a smile of amusement.

The sorting continued.

 "Oh hurry up," Ron complained.

"Now, Ron, the Sorting's much more important than food," said Nearly Headless Nick.

" 'Course it is, if you're dead," snapped Ron.

And after a few more names were called, the sorting ended. Professor McGonagall picked up the hat and the stool and carried them away.

"About time," said Ron, seizing his knife and fork and looking eagerly at his golden plate. 

Professor Dumbledore stood to his feet. "I have only two words to say to you," he told them, smiling. "Tuck in."

The dishes filled before their eyes. It was a beautiful sight.

"Aaah, 'at's be'er," said Ron, with his mouth full of mashed potatoes.

"You're lucky there's a feast at all tonight, you know," said Nearly Headless Nick. "There was trouble in the kitchens earlier."

"Why? What happened?" Asked Y/N.

"Peeves, of course," said Nearly Headless Nick, "The usual argument, you know. He wanted to attend the feast — well, it's quite out of the question, you know what he's like, utterly uncivilized, Wreaked havoc and mayhem. Pots and pans everywhere. Place swimming in soup. Terrified the house-elves out of their wits —"

Hermione's eye grew wide and she knocked over her goblet.

"There are house-elves here?!" she said, staring in horror. "Here at Hogwarts?"

"Certainly," said Nearly Headless Nick, "The largest number in any dwelling in Britain, I believe. Over a hundred."

"I've never seen one!" said Hermione.

"Well, they hardly ever leave the kitchen by day, do they?" said Nearly Headless Nick. "They come out at night to do a bit of cleaning . . . see to the fires and so on. . . . I mean, you're not supposed to see them, are you? That's the mark of a good house-elf, isn't it, that you don't know it's there?"