47

𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚋𝚎 𝚊𝚏𝚛𝚊𝚒𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚙𝚊𝚖 𝚖𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚜, 𝙸 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚖 <𝟹

Y/N and Harry listened to the clue a few more times before stepping out of the water, that's when they realized how cold they actually were.

After casting several drying and heating charms on each other, they finally began on their walk back to the castle. It was still dark out, so they were careful not to make any noise.

Harry held onto the marauders map tightly, watching for any names that might be approaching them.

"Filch is lurking in Snape's classroom.."Harry said, his hand on Y/N's back as they walked into the castle. "We can go through— wait.. what's crouch doing here?" Harry said, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion as he pointed it out to Y/N.

"What?" Y/N said in a low whisper, looking at the dot labeled 'Bartemius Crouch', the dot moved around the room, pausing from time to time.

"What's he sneaking around Hogwarts for?" Harry said, starting to walk towards it.

"Ah ah ah" Y/N said, pausing him. "That's none of our concern."

"but-" Harry said, attempting to argue.

Y/N huffed. "Listen Harry. it's late, i'm tired, and you're tired, lets go to sleep."

With a last glance at the moving dot, Harry let out a defeated sigh. "Fine, but we've got to talk about the egg first."

Y/N nodded as they turned around and started towards the Gryffindor common room. Just as they began climbing the steps, Harry's foot fell into a trick step that Neville usually forgot to jump over.

Y/N let out a gasp as the egg slipped from Harry's hands, falling down the staircase, slipping open and began to wail, the invisibility cloak nearly slipped off of them but Harry managed to grip onto it at the last second, Y/N grabbing the Marauders map that was threatening to slip out of Harry's hands.

Harry and Y/N stood frozen under the invisibility cloak, both hearing loud footsteps rapidly approaching them.

"PEEVES!" shouted Filch furiously. "What's this racket? Wake up the whole castle, will you? I'll have you, Peeves, I'll have you, you'll . . . and what is this?"

Filch's footsteps paused. There was the sound of metal on metal and the wailing stopped — Filch had closed it.

"Egg?" Filch said quietly at the foot of the stairs. "This is a Triwizard clue! This belongs to a school champion!"

Y/N glanced at Harry's ankle, which was lodged tightly in the staircase.

"Pull your foot out" Y/N whispered quickly, bending down and trying to pull his leg out.

"I cant—"

"Just- try—"

"Ouch—" Harry said, feeling the pressure of the stairs tighter against him.

"Sorry.." Y/N muttered, standing back up and not knowing what to.

"PEEVES!" Filch roared. "You've been stealing! Hiding, are you?" he said softly. "I'm coming to get you, Peeves. . . . You've gone and stolen a Triwizard clue, Peeves. . . . Dumbledore'll have you out of here for this, you filthy, pilfering poltergeist. . . ."

Filch started to climb the stairs.

Both Y/N and Harry stood there, a few more steps and Filch would walk right into them.