41

𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚋𝚎 𝚊𝚏𝚛𝚊𝚒𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚙𝚊𝚖 𝚖𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚜, 𝙸 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚖 <𝟹

"Thank you miss!" Winky said with a bright smile on her face as she flung her arms around Y/N, saying her last 'goodbye' before she went off to meet Y/N's parents.

Hermione stood there with her arms crossed, "Winky... are you sure about this-  just think about it being a free elf is really goo-"

Winky shot Hermione the rudest of glares, silencing her. 

She turned back towards Y/N, beaming up at her. "Winky will see you on holidays!" 

And with a snap of her fingers, Winky left.

Y/N had tried to explain what a house elf looked like through a series of letters to her parents, even though they were expecting an odd looking magical creature to appear at their home, Y/N doubted her parents wouldn't be frightened.

At least in the beginning. 

Hermione let out an exasperated sigh, wishing that all House elves had the same mindset as Dobby.

Y/N and Hermione walked out of the kitchens and towards the Great hall for breakfast. 

"Have you asked for a dress yet?" Hermione asked as they climbed up the stairs.

"I knew I was forgetting something"

Hermione rolled her eyes, having expected this answer. "Well I heard that there's a small shop that's opened in Hogsmeade, it sells dress robes and dresses, you can probably find something there."

Y/N nodded, she didn't have many options. Besides, if she asked her mum for a dress, she'd make a big deal out of it, probably order some big, expensive, custom dress from a small high-end boutique.

And the last thing that Y/N wanted was for her dad to tease her about going to the ball with Harry.

She didn't plan on telling them about the ball until after it's happened.

They walked into the Great Hall. Ron and Harry were already there, Harry eating a piece of toast, Ron completely devouring a plateful of scrambled eggs and bacon.

"You know, Ronald. No one is going to take your plate away" Hermione said as she and Y/N sat down.

"Leht me lihve" Ron said through a mouthful of food. Hermione rolled her eyes.  

Just then, 2 elegant white owls swooped in.

Y/N furrowed an eyebrow as they came towards her dropping off a sleek black package tied in silky emerald green ribbon.

Tucked neatly beneath the ribbon, was a crisp white envelope; Y/N Black was written on the front of it, in a beautiful cursive.

"Woah" Ron said. He reached out to touch the packing, only to be smacked away by Hermione.

"Your fingers are all greasy," she said, handing him a napkin.

"Who sent it?" Harry asked raising an eyebrow. 

Y/N grabbed onto the edge of the envelope, pulling it open and taking the letter from inside.

Dear Y/N,

We haven't spoken much over the past few months, I hope everything is okay. I was informed that the Yule ball is soon, though I'm sure that you already have a dress picked out, I wanted to give you another option. When your mother passed, most of her belongings were given out to close friends and family, this dress in particular was one of her personal favorites, I think it'll compliment you beautifully. Don't worry about the sizing, it's been charmed to accommodate to you. Please don't feel pressured to wear it, I only wanted to expand your options.