24 - DARKNESS AND MONSTERS 1

(A/N: Hi. Sorry for this late update. Supposed to be, this update is for yesterday but I didn't able to do it for I was distracted by the book I'm currently reading right now. Sorry... Hehe...  😅🙂✌️ I won't promise anything but I'll try to update today as long as I can. )

*BLAAAG!*

The ground suddenly shook making me unstable in my spot.

"An earthquake? No..."

In the dark, I focus on the huge sound accompanied by the shaking of the ground. 

*BLAAAG!! *

*BLAAAG!!! *

My eyes widen with realization. 

Not an earthquake but a giant footsteps.

I slowly move sideways out of nowhere.

So this is how blind people really felt like.

F*cking scary.

The ground continued to shake and the large sound echoed every step till it reach my side. 

I could also feel the ground crack below my feet. 

I tried to steady myself till it walk pass me. 

Yet, when moving, my foot suddenly slide on something. 

The huge sound of my fall echoed at the same time the giant footsteps stops.

I froze. 

*DUGDUG!*

The place was filled with dead silence.

D*rn! 

I silently cussed as I heard the air whooshed above me like there's a large thing being swung around.

I can't see what is it. 

Good thing, my senses were already hightened that I was able to avoid it, by laying completely on the ground just in time.

I gulped and didn't move, not even a little. Sweat starts to trickle within my forehead.

I heave a deep sigh when the giant resume his leave and seconds later finally gone.

I started to walk my way again with my stomach keep on making an embarrassing sound.

I'm hungry. 

If I can just use my spatial ring, that would be totally fine. I pack lots of desert to it. 

Argh... What a waste.

Sometimes my body hit on something sturdy, then I would become alert only to find out a tree is really existing here but... 

I really can't see anything. 

But knowing those simple things somehow comforted me.

I was really in a forest after all. 

This place was really weird but being here myself proves that what people keep on saying about this place was actually true. 

I feel something was watching me.

From somewhere, I think I could hear some deep groan. 

Succumbing to instinct, I ducked my head in time before my head could be chopped of.

"WHAT THE HE--"

HECK!

I screamed but stop myself from doing it further.

I only had a dagger and a dart from before. You know the time, when the failed assassination of the general's son.

(A/N: See chapter 16 titled You're Crazy) 

I hold the dart between my fingers, hightening my senses again and observe the surroundings.

I need to be careful because in this place, I am the prey. 

I could feel the wind shift slightly and I ducked again. This time, whatever the weapon the other is using barely miss my head. 

… Am I going to die here…?

The fast I thought about it, the quickly I banished it.

I quickly follow the attacks line of trajectory and release the dart I was holding. 

Then suddenly I heard a loud thud on the ground near my right followed by a large splurting sound. 

I pause and seconds later, slowly approached it. I tightened my grip on the dagger and when I can feel something on my feet. 

I slammed my dagger down and feel a squishy thing in front of me. 

Once… 

Twice… 

Three times for good measure. 

When I felt no movement at all, that's the time I conclude.

It was definitely dead. 

My knees buckle and I collapsed to the ground.

It was a living thing, a monster to be precise. After all, the forest of despair is really a home for monsters. 

A monster that already adapted to the darkness.

I lay there still, unmoving. Steadying my breath, I sit up and moving my hand feeling the squishy thing making me grimace, but when I finally hold the dart which I discovered… 

deeply penetrated the monster's head.

I pulled it out and felt something wet trickled as I held the weapon once again. 

I move my hand this time, near the monster corpse, until I can make up of something hard and long.

I slowly hold it and trace the weapon carefully. 

An axe.

I try lifting it up but only to failed making me realize on the process that… 

My superhuman strength also doesn't work in this place just like my spatial ring.

D*rn it! 

*GRRR…! *

*GRRR!!! *

My eyes fluttered open by the sound of deep low growl.

Seems like I had fallen asleep. 

I glance at my dark surroundings and I felt the chills run down my spine.

A lot of pair of red eyes glaring at me in the dark. 

Dogs?

No. 

Where can you see a lot of dogs with red glaring eyes?