Daniel Extras: Part 4

I still felt like I was missing something. I had goodie bags, all neatly packed in Jack o' lantern-like baskets. But I feel like I'm a little short on gifts, considering there are so many games.
"Are you sure those lip balms are a good idea?" Gabriel asked, digging in one of the gift cauldrons. "Like... what if it's a boy? This is tinted at that."
"I have a backup, idiot," I frown, pulling the cauldron away. "That one's over there, but I'm not gonna show it to you. You might steal it."
"Sure, whatever," Gabriel said with a shrug. "It's your party. Anyway, what costume you doing?"
I glare at him. "I thought I showed it to you..."
"Right, sorry about that," I roll my eyes and go back to the cauldron. I didn't tell him I added inscribed Airbuds. Yeah...
But I still am missing some decorations. We set up some mannequins near the front door, and they look as plain as ever. I think they need a makeover.
During lunch, I brought it up. It was Dad's day off, so he joined us. It's one of those rare days where he isn't busy in his office.
"I think we need to go to the costume store again," I said as soon as I was done eating.
"Why?" Dad asked. "I thought you got everything?"
"Yeah about that..." I trailed off. Ended up burping. "Sorry about that... anyway, I think the mannequins outside need a little makeover."
"Told ya they look lame," Gabriel sneered. I gave him a glare. "Okay, whatever. Your party."
I turn back to dad. "Can we go?"
"Sure, son," Dad says with a light shrug. "Go with your brother."
I bite my lip. "But I wanna go with you. It's your day off! This is the only chance I get to hang out with you!" I blurt.
Mom gave him a nudge and he sighed. "Sure, Danny. We'll leave after lunch."
Victory!

I drag dad to the costume store and started taking the things I needed. Baskets, cloaks, masks, more decorations, stuff like that.
"This would be perfect for the mannequins at the entrance!" I exclaimed, grabbing a few cloaks for the mannequins "They would look SICK in these decorations!"
"Go ahead, son," said dad. "Take whatever you want. It's your party after all."
I turn and grin at him before making my way to the fake reptiles section, with Dad at my heels. I took a few bats and spiders before seeing a few more things.
"I think I'm done," I said, looking at the basket of stuff that was growing heavier by the second. "Yeah, I'm done."
We go to the counter and started paying.
"Last minute Halloween shopping, I see?" The cashier said with a grin.
"Yeah," Dad said, shifting his legs slightly.
"Not buying a costume?" The cashier asked again, packing the stuff one by one right after scanning them. "Because two girls just came in and got themselves a Batman and a Joker costume."
"We already got costumes," I said, slightly annoyed.
"Okay," the cashier said and continued packing the things. I could hear Dad smother a laugh next to me.
"Have a nice day, sir," the cashier said, handing dad the bag. He then shoots me a grin before going back to Dad. "Are you two brothers?"
"This is my son," Dad said with a chuckle.
"Oh, sorry, sir," The cashier's said rather sheepishly. "Happy Halloween!"
We walk out of the shop and Dad still had a smirk on his face.
"Somehow someone mistakes us for brothers," I say with a frown. "Why is it like that?!"
"It's not my fault I look young, Danny," Dad said with a grin. "And, it's not my fault you and Gabby look just like me too."
I sighed and turned to the front. I suddenly spotted the waffle stall we always go to.
"Dad, can we get some waffles?" I ask with a grin.
"You still hungry?" Dad asked in surprise. "How can you be hungry after that large lunch we just had?"
I just frown and avoid his gaze. Dad starts laughing.
"Fine, I'll get you some," Dad finally said. "I was just joking, son."
We passed a boutique and I could hear two girls giggling in there. Why does it feel like I'm being watched whenever I go? Ash in school, and these two girls now? We went to the waffle stall and bought some waffles and a drink before heading home.

***

I somehow managed to paint my face perfectly. I went downstairs and flourished my costume to the rest. The others weren't here yet, so it was just our guys.
And Jason.
Alma didn't come because she had her own Halloween party to go to. Good thing too.
I definitely look better than Gabriel's lame Doctor Who costume. He still looks like Gabriel, not in the least like a doctor. Let alone Doctor Who...
Jason wore a vampire costume. I must say, he really did a good job with it, going simple.
"Nice costume, Jason," I said with a grin. "How much gel did you use to slick your hair back?"
"A lot..." Jason said with a frown. He lisped slightly, because of the protruding false fangs he was wearing. "At least I look good, right?"
The guards were forced to dress up too. One wore a Mad Hatter costume, while the other wore a Pennywise costume. They stood at their post outside and checked if each guest had an invitation. Dad didn't want an unruly party, so we only allow those with invitations.
My classmates started arriving, and I decided to greet them. Hope they recognise me, because with all this face paint, I definitely look different.
Some of them even mistook Gabriel for me.
"Guys, I'm over here," I said, going to them with a frown. "Ya know what? Just enjoy the party."
The group laughed and made a beeline for the buffet table. Everyone came for the food...
I was about to call everyone for the games when two people walked in. I smiled and went to greet them.
"Hey there!" I said. "Welcome to my Halloween party! Feel free to enjoy the snacks and drinks served! They're all served at the buffet table over there. We'll also be playing some games in a while!"
The two girls nodded, clad in a Batman and Joker costume. But I didn't seem to recognise them. That's funny, everyone I invited came. Who are these two? They must have invitations, considering the guards let them in without a word.
"The two of you are friends right?" I asked. "Do I know you? I can't really tell who are you two with the costume..."
"I'm Batman," the girl in Batman costume said. Instantly the Joker started laughing hysterically. "Obviously, this is Joker."
Looks like they wanna be in character, even introducing themselves with their character's names, and not with their real names like the others...
Their costume's really good too, considering some of the girls wore hairbands with a dress, with mild face paint, and declare they are in costume.
"Ah I see," I nodded. "So you don't wanna break character huh? That's okay. Go ahead and enjoy the party!"
I heard someone call me and left to see what's up.
"When are the games starting?" I couldn't see his face because he was wearing a Slenderman costume, but judging by his voice, I think it's James.
"Around now," I said. "Go sit down, so that we can play. Can you even eat in that thing?" The guy was holding a plate, but none of his face was exposed. Not even his nose or mouth.
He pulled his mask off and grinned, his hair a little tousled. "I don't have much of a choice besides breaking character. Sorry dude."
"Nah it's okay," I said. "Cool costume, by the way."
He grinned and brought his friends to the centre, where we arranged some sofas. Had a hard time doing that, but it's worth it.
I spot our mysterious guests grabbing platefuls of finger food and drinks before making their way to the sofas too. They do feel familiar, but I can't tell who they are...
Since everyone were at the centre space, I decided to start my first game.
"Now we'll be having a game of charades," I said. "The person who guesses right, will receive a bag of treats. Are you ready?"
Everyone started cheering, the two mysterious guests looked at each other and shrugged.
"So first round, I'll be doing the charades," I said. "The one who correctly guesses will take over after me and so on. Okay?"
"Sure!" Everyone said.
I took a paper from the Jack o' lantern and read it. It said Mummy.
So I started acting it out, and someone shouted out Zombie! I shook my head and did the same thing again. Batgirl raised her hand and shouted out the right answer.
"That's right," I said, pointing at her. Mathew went to give her a basket of treats. He insisted on helping, I don't know why.
Batgirl took the basket with a grin and went back to her friend. She's next on the line, but she seems more interested in that gift basket.
"Come over here, Batman," I said, beckoning to her. "It's your turn to do the charades."
She gave her basket to Joker, who started laughing hysterically, and came to the centre. I chuckled and stood next to the table to watch.
She picked up a paper and stared at it for a moment before putting it next to the bowl. Wonder what she got...
She pointed to her forehead and lifted her head up slightly, bringing it forward like she was shooting something. Eh? What did she get? None of what I wrote looked like that...
Joker gasped and raised her hand. "Devil!" She screamed.
What? That's... that's so far away from what she did. How did she guess?