Prologue

My name is Penelope. I'm sixteen, and I go to high school, obviously. I don't have many friends, in fact, I don't have any friends! Everyone in school already either has a friend or has a whole gang of them. Well, I'm sometimes enjoy the solitude I'm getting, and I don't really mind. No one wants me to be in their friends' group so what can I do? Force myself in?
But there's this one girl in my class, also like me, a loner. It doesn't seem to bother her though. It's Ash. She's this goth girl. The number of students in our class is an odd number, so one student has to sit alone. She chose to be that one student.
She's kinda hard to describe though. She wears all black, sometimes with a bit of red, and only wears long sleeves. She even wears gothic eye makeup. We can't see much of her face too, because she has really long hair, bottom-length, that covers half of her face. And to make matters worse, she wears a face mask, covering the bottom half of her face. But what's the creepiest thing about her is her piercing pale blue eyes. Her eyes are so pale that from far, it kinda looks like she has no iris.
No one messes with her, because once, a bully tried to pick on her, but she just gave him a piercing stare and coldly walked away, leaving him staring blankly at her in confusion. Besides, she's kinda big for a girl. She's kinda tall, and quite buff. Wonder if she works out.
So now, I'm just sitting in class, during our English class. Our teacher, Miss Smith. She was talking about some essay that needs a lot of elaboration.
"I want all of you to get into pairs," said Miss Smith. "I want all of you to discuss with your pairs about the main points of this essay and elaborate them and write the essay. Is that clear?"
"Yes Miss Smith," said everyone in unison.
I glanced over to where my desk partner was. I was thinking to become pairs with her.
"Hey Lea," I said and she looked up. "Can I be your partner?"
"No sorry," said Lea to my dismay. "I'm to join Janet and Kate as a threesome."
Janet and Kate were the two girls that sat in front of us. They were best friends with Lea.
"Oh... okay," I said. "It's okay, I guess I'll just do this alone then."
I was starting to do the essay alone when suddenly Miss Smith walked towards my desk. She looked at me, then turned to Lea and saw that she was discussing with Janet and Kate, while I'm here, writing quietly.
"Penelope, where's your partner?" she asked me. "Why are you doing this alone?"
"Lea joined another group, so here I am," I said, in a gloomy voice. "I'm fine with doing it alone."
"Wait but there's someone else who doesn't have a partner," said Miss Smith, looking over to the other side of the class. "Ash doesn't have a partner too. Why don't you join her instead?"
"Oh okay," I said, getting up while grabbing my stuff. "Thanks Miss Smith, I'll join her instead."
So I walked over to where Ash sat. There was an empty seat next to her and I just decided to sit there instead. She was doing the essay while listening to music with a pair of earphones. The music was loud, and from what I could hear, it was heavy metal. She clearly can't hear me, so I decided to tap her shoulder to get her attention.
"Umm hi Ash," I said, tapping her shoulder. She turned to look at me after taking off her earphones. "Miss Smith asked me to be your partner for this essay."
"Okay," she said. "That's cool."
"Have you elaborated any points?" I asked her. "I have elaborated some."
I gave her my notepad where I wrote the elaborations. She read it carefully and nodded silently.
"Okay you elaborated enough," said Ash. "I'll just combine it with mine and we're good to go."
"Alright," I said. "Thanks Ash."
She nodded again and started writing out on a fresh piece of paper. She was bending over her table with her hair all over her face. Seriously though, doesn't her hair bother her? My hair isn't as long as hers, but still, I can't bear to leave it untied.
"Hey, you need a hair tie?" I asked her. "I have an extra, do you want it?"
"No thanks," she said without looking up. "Keep it yourself."
"Okay," I said. Gosh she didn't have to be so rude about it, I was just trying to help...
So she finished writing out the essay, and handed it to the teacher after writing our names on the top of the page. The teacher waited for all of our classmates to hand in their essays before leaving. I returned to my desk after the class to pack up my stuff as it was the end of the school day.
I usually go home with my mother, but this time, she said she couldn't make it. So I had to book a cab. I waited outside the school gates and booked one using my phone. While waiting for the cab to arrive, I realised that Ash was just walking down the road, no one came to pick her up.
I heard rumours spreading that she actually walks to school too and walks back. Many people say that she doesn't have parents and she lives alone or that her parents don't really care about her or something...
Finally the cab arrived and I went home. I was alone for now, since my parents were at work. So I just made myself some lunch and decided to do my homework after that.
When all of that was done, I went up to my room and decided to continue writing my book online. It's a hobby of mine. I love writing and when I start typing, I can't stop. I don't really know if my books are good or not, because I don't really have many readers.
But I have this one very loyal reader, though. They read my books as soon as they get updated. I can't really tell of it's someone I know, or if it's a girl or guy. They love voting on my books and always comment. Their comments give me hope that my books are good.
As soon as the tablet finished booting, I opened the writing app and started to continue my book. Time to put all of the ideas that I was thinking out during class at school to action. Before I could start writing, I realised that I had a bunch of comments and voted on the chapters I updated yesterday. Yep, it's the same person. They're really nice... always leaving positive comments on my books.
After replying to almost all of their comments, I started writing. I was so engrossed in writing that I didn't even realise that my parents were back and it was dinner time. I went downstairs to greet them and have dinner together.