Daniel Extras: Part 6

I laid in bed, still thinking about the two unknown guests that arrived. Two of the extra invitations went missing, and two unknown guests showed up.
Something's not right.
Think, Daniel! Think!
Who could've stolen them?
When was the last time you saw those two invitations?
When I put them on my stack of textbooks! I counted exactly four before laying them on my books. I was there the whole time, no one even touched those books.
Wait a second...

"Hey Daniel... so I heard you're hosting a huge Halloween party?"

"Oops, clumsy me..."

She must've swiped them when the books fell! That witch! She was the one in the Batman costume, I'm sure of it. But... who was the Joker?

"Joker. That's who I am."

That voice sounds more and more familiar. Where have I heard it before? Wait a second...

"Excuse me, but this is the girls' room. Can't you read the sign?"

"You gave us, duh. Come on, Batman, let's go."

"Lose one of them and you're done for. I mean, if they're connected with wires, you won't lost them as easily."

It was Penelope...!
Was she in on this too?
I'm confronting them tomorrow.

***

I came in a little late, and saw Penelope sitting at the empty desk next to Ash. I couldn't help but shoot them a few glares every once in awhile.
They looked pretty anxious too, and they were whispering...
"Uh Ash?" Penelope whispered. "Why is he staring at us?"
"I have no idea," Ash whispered back. "Do you think he's suspicious?"
It's them. It's definitely them,
"I don't know..." Penelope said, evidently panicking. "What if he is? What do we do?"
"As if I know," Ash whispered, her usually emotionless voice sounding panicked. "Let's just act as if we didn't notice that."
Wait till recess, I'm confronting them then.

I found them sitting at the far corner just like usual. This time, they were laughing and talking. That's not something you see everyday.
"So, how was your weekend?" I asked with a smirk. "What did you guys do?"
"We didn't do anything," Penelope said, trying to sound cool. "We just sat around."
"What about you, goth girl?" I said, turning to Ash. "What did you do?"
"That's none of your concern," Ash said. This is the first time she isn't wearing her mask. "What I do during the weekends does not concern you."
"Well I had an epic Halloween party," I said with a shrug. "I just wanted to ask you if you know who two mysterious girls, wearing Batman and Joker costumes were."
"How should we know?" Penelope said with a frown. "We didn't even come to the party."
"Yeah that's what I thought too," I nodded. "How should you know?"
"Well then let us eat," Ash said in an annoyed tone. "You know that we don't know right?"
"Yeah whatever," I said, pretending to walk away. I stopped and turned to Ash. "Forgot your eye makeup?"
"Didn't feel like wearing any makeup," Ash said, frowning. "You should try them, then you'll know."
I took a good look at those eyes again to make sure, and yep. Those were the Batgirl's eyes too.
"You..." I said, pointing at her. "Those eyes... you were Batman?"
"What do you mean Batman?" Ash said, standing up. "I'm girl, can't you see?"
"Yeah Daniel," Penelope chimed in. "Can't you see?"
"And you..." I pointed at Penelope. "You were Joker! I knew that voice seemed familiar..."
"What?" Penelope gasped, definitely panicking. "Me? Joker? No!"
"But I gotta admit," I grinned. "I thought your costumes were gonna be lame, I didn't expect that you'd wear the coolest costume in the party."
"We have no idea what you're talking about," Ash said, shaking her head. "We didn't come to the party. We just sat at home, chilling with our family!"
Hmm... so they're playing dumb. Let's see how long this lasts.
"Hmm..." I said, playing along. "I guess you're right. Sorry I accused you..."
"Yeah whatever," Penelope said. "You must be crazy to think we came to your party..."
Yeah, and you must be crazy to think I wouldn't find out.
I excused myself and walked away, scratching my head. I need to think of a Plan B to make them confess.
They're always at the library, right? Right.
I went back to class and took out that Hardy Boys book. Turns out, I finished it the day I borrowed it. Ash said she wanted to borrow it, right?