Invitations?

"That was unexpected," I said. "Never knew he liked to read books..."
"Neither did I," said Ash. "I have to add that fact into my findings."
She immediately took out a black and red striped notebook. It was really cute.
"Where did you buy that?" I asked. "It's really pretty. Must be expensive."
"This? Expensive? Nah," said Ash. "I only got it for two bucks at the shop."
"Which shop?" I asked. "It's so cute, I wanna get one too!"
"Next to the coffee shop that we went to the other day," said Ash. "I thought I always saw you go there."
"Wait, you always saw me in public but never bothered to approach me?" I asked, surprised. "Oh yeah, we weren't friends yet at that time, right? But really? They sell this book there? I only went there a few weeks ago and I didn't see it."
"It only came in last week," said Ash. "So I bought one. There are many colours, just go get one for yourself."
"Thanks I will," I said. "I'll get one in black and pink."
"Yeah that colour is available," said Ash. "We'll go this Friday, unless you wanna go yourself.."
"I think we'll go on Friday," I said. "You can help me choose."
"Okay I will," said Ash. "By the way, I think I should get you updated with the mystery of Daniel's wealth."
"Okay then," I said, leaning forward on the table. "It's free period now, since Miss boring maths teacher isn't here. I have nothing to do, so just tell me."
"Okay so basically, Daniel's father meets a strange man in a trench coat, sunglasses and hat everyday in an isolated part of the city," said Ash. "Whenever they meet, they both act suspicious. So we suspect that he's a drug dealer and his business is just a mask for it."
"Whoa..." I said, surprised. "So what is he actually working as, publicly?"
"He owns an outdoor furniture making company," said Ash. "He makes good quality outdoor furniture that costs a fortune for each item."
"Interesting..." I said. "Well, how do we actually find out what he's trying to do?"
"Not sure," said Ash. "My parents are trying, but for now, it's a dead end..."
Just then, Janet and Kate came in, each holding an orange and black envelope with a Jack o' lantern printed on it. They were waving it around while laughing.
"What's that?" I asked Janet.
"It's an invitation for the best Halloween party of the decade," said Janet. "Hosted by Daniel White. Didn't you guys get one?"
We both shook our heads. Janet and Kate looked confused.
"That's strange," said Kate. "Daniel said literally everyone is invited. Are you sure you two didn't get the invitation?"
"No we didn't," I said, a little hurt. "Looks like we're nobody, then."
"Who cares," said Ash, said in a low voice when the girls in front of us sat down. "We'll just go."
"Wait what?" I asked. "How?"
"It's a Halloween party, Penelope," said Ash. "So we should both go in costume!"
"That's a good idea," I said. "What are you gonna dress as?"
"I think we should do costumes that relate," said Ash. "Like you know, superhero and sidekick, or hero and villain."
"Good choice," I said. "Let's see... Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson?"
"No..." said Ash. "That's lame."
"Okay then," I said, thinking of another solution. "How about Devil Jin and Devil Kazuya?"
"Now where do we get those costumes?" asked Ash. "Besides, it's gonna be hard to find giant wings..."
"Okay then how about Pennywise and Georgie?" I suggested. "I mean it would kinda work?"
"Bad idea," said Ash. "We're both too big to dress as Georgie."
"Annabelle and Chucky?" I asked, and Ash shook her head. "Okay I know, it's a bad idea. Why don't you suggest instead?"
"Okay fine," said Ash. "I was thinking we should do Batman and Robin?"
"Batman is okay..." I said thinking. "But Robin seems a little... hard to hide our faces."
"Okay then how about Batman and the Joker?" asked Ash. "The Joker costume can easily hide our face."
"Nice idea," I said. "I think I'll take the Joker. You have the Batman vibes."
"Okay I'll be Batman," said Ash. "I saw the costume sold at the costume shop at the mall."
"I guess it is a good idea that we're going out then," I said. "Wait, so when's the party?"
"I don't know," said Ash. "We need to get ourselves one of those invitations too. For all we know, the party might be invitation only..."
"I have an idea," said Ash, watching Daniel. "Just sit back and watch."
She went over to Daniel's table and started talking to him. He was in the middle of reading the book that he borrowed. Wonder what she's gonna do.
Ash POV
I went over to Daniel. He was so engrossed in reading that he didn't even notice me coming. He was so startled when he saw me, that he almost fell off the chair. I must look very scary to this guy. He put his book aside, on top of a stack of text books. He put the book on top of the extra invitations that was also on the text books. Lucky for me, the text books were on the edge of the table. Perfect.
"Hey Daniel," I said, in the gloomiest voice that I can muster. "So I heard you're hosting a huge Halloween party?"
"Maybe?" said Daniel. "It's none of your concern. I don't want weirdos lurking around my party. Especially you and Penelope."
"But why?" I asked, pretending to not know the reason. "We have nothing against you..."
"I just don't like you, okay?" said Daniel. "Besides, I think your costumes are gonna be lame. Now can't you just go?"
Well, little did he know, what I'm wearing now is a costume too. Let's prove him wrong by coming with literally the best costume in the party.
"There's one more thing I wanna ask you," I said. "Is that book good? I haven't read it yet. Can I see the synopsis?"
"Sure..." he said and gave me the book.
I read the synopsis and gave it back to him.
"Thanks," I said. "The book looks good. I think I'll borrow it after you."
I walked a little and 'accidentally' bumped into his desk, causing his textbooks to fall.
"Oops, clumsy me," I said, and started to pick up the books. He came down to take them too. Good, he's distracted. I picked up some of the books and gave it to him, and while he was lifting them up, I stuffed two of the invitations into my hoodie pocket.
"Sorry," I said, and quickly ran back to my desk next to Penelope.
"Did you get them?" asked Penelope. I nodded and showed her the invitations. "How?"
"You saw how I knocked over those books right?" I asked and she nodded. "Well, the invitations were in the stack. So I just swiped them."
"Smart move," said Penelope. "So we're officially invited then."
"Not really, but yeah we have access," I said. "Now we just have to look forward to the party."