Ash Extras: Part 6

I decided to go for the obvious answer. I mean, what are face masks actually made for? To protect us from germs in the air!
"Well I'm just afraid of germs," I said. "I wanna protect myself from germs, that's all."
"I see..." Penelope said, clearly not convinced by my statement. "Yeah with this air pollution and all now, right?"
"Yeah..." I said while nodding. "The air isn't clean..."
She nodded and went back to reading something on her phone. Wonder if she was reading on Wattpad too...
The bell finally rang and I thankfully packed my bag and left the classroom. Penelope was the first to leave. Guess she's a little mad at me. Well, I don't blame her.
I went to the foyer and I saw her sitting there. I wanted to go and sit with her, but my mind said otherwise. I decided to listen to it and just went home instead.
I entered the house and just crashed on the couch. Gosh today was messed up! I feel like I should avoid Penelope for the rest of my life. I mean, Penelope is a really nice person, but I wanna avoid those questions. I know I'm overdoing this mission, but hey, it's fun to feel like an undercover detective once in a while, right?
This is the first time my parents asked me to aid in their case, and I'm really excited for it. I don't wanna screw up, that would not only put me in trouble, but it would put them in trouble too!
The day went on as usual. I was quite free since I finished all of my homework in school. So I just played around. My parents came home and I told them about what was going on.
"Oh come on, Ashley, you're overdoing it," said mom. "It would be fine if she knew. This isn't even a secret mission. It's just that Daniel shouldn't know. There's no harm in telling Penelope."
"Is Penelope in any way close to Daniel?" Dad asked and I shook my head. "Then why do you have to worry?"
"It's just that I don't wanna mess up this mission," I said. "But Daniel is actually a really sad case, you know? He's nothing but an insecure rich guy who bullies others to seem stronger. Oh and besides, he always gets ditched by his friends, poor guy."
"Well, that's how bullies work," said mom. "Anyway, has he been doing anything suspicious?"
"Nope, nothing at all," I said. "If his father is doing illegal business, then his son has nothing to do with it."
We talked a bit more and soon it was dinner time.
The next day, I went to school, obviously. I can't skip school just because of what happened yesterday, right? Wish I could, though.
Lea was here today, so I don't have to worry about sitting next to her again. That's a relief...
There was English today, though. Oh I hope Miss Smith doesn't give us an essay...
And then there was break time. Huh, I think I can dodge that.
I ate as fast as I can because after all, I am a speedy eater. I ate before Penelope could even arrive. She always uses the long, crowded way to go to the cafeteria, and I always use the short and clear way. Also, I am a fast walker.
As soon as I was done, I decided to take a long walk before going to the bathroom. It felt kinda weird to go alone after the two days that I hung out with Penelope. But it was for a good cause.
I was leaving the bathroom and I heard a few guys laughing in the boys' bathroom next door. A laugh that I've heard so often. It was Daniel and his goons. Or his fake friends, as I call them.
I couldn't just stand outside his door and peek listen into their conversation. Then I realised that there was an air vent that ran around the bathroom's perimeter to get rid of... the stink. I also realised that there was a bench right under the vent. Great.
I put my water bottle down and stood on the bench to listen to their conversation, but I realised that they were just talking about... going out for lunch together? Now that's lame...
"Umm Ash?" I heard someone say. "What are you doing up there?"
I looked down to see Penelope, standing there and looking at me with a weird expression. Uh oh...
"Nothing," I said and jumped down, grabbed my water bottle and ran back to class as soon as I can. Oh great, now Penelope's gonna think that I'm a creep...
I ran back to class and sat down at my desk, behind everyone. Penelope came in short after and fell asleep on her desk. Miss Smith came in and Lea nudged her to wake up.
Miss Smith just gave us a worksheet and I finished it. I took my phone out to continue reading, but my brain just wouldn't concentrate. It was racing.
I looked over at Penelope. Seriously, what does she think of me? She must think that I'm a total psycho! Well, that's what I get for being such a jerk.
To my dismay, Penelope noticed me looking at her and nodded her head upwards at me. Shoot!
I just shook my head and bent my head towards my phone again. God, that was embarrassing! That's it, I'm gonna avoid her for eternity.
The teacher discussed the worksheets and said we could do anything we wanted. I just decided to lie down on my desk. Well I had to lay down sideways because I was wearing makeup, also, contact lens. Pressing my face against my elbow was a bad idea.
The next period came and finally, the last. We were all happy to go back home.
Gosh, today was an even weirder day compared to yesterday. Penelope literally caught me peeking into the boy's bathroom. She definitely got the wrong idea...
I told my parents about this and they tried to comfort me.
"Hey, maybe it's a good idea if you stop this disguise business," said mom. "If you don't want to, then it's fine. You'd be more comfortable if you go to school as yourself instead of some goth."
"But I wanna be a detective too," I said. "Spying is fun."
Well, I didn't wanna listen to them because I liked being a detective.
The next day was Friday and school finished early. I was glad to go home early and relax at home. My parents managed to have lunch with me today because school finishes in time for their lunch time.
I felt bored being cooped up at home so I decided to go for a walk. The weather was nice and cool today, just the way I like it.