In the library

The weekend went by very quickly. Soon, it was Monday morning. I sighed as I got out of bed and went into the bathroom to shower. When I came out, I wore my glasses and started to choose an outfit. It didn't take me long. Soon, I was having breakfast with my parents. After that, my parents dropped me off at school.
I went into the classroom and sat at my desk. Lea wasn't here today, not surprising. Ash came over and sat with me instead. She seemed like a whole different person now. Last time she came to sit with me, I was weirded out, but now, nope.
"Hey," I said. "So you are welcomed to come here whenever Lea isn't here."
"Yeah she's always not here," said Ash. "Anyway, how was your weekend?"
"Quick," I said in dismay. "After the movies, we just sat at home."
"Same actually," said Ash. "But we had some plans."
I nudged Ash when I saw Janet and Kate coming in. They looked at Ash questioningly, but didn't say anything. Ash took out her earphones and put her emo persona into action. I smirked as I saw how she changed so fast.
She saw the smirk and nudged my knee under the table, signalling for me to stop. I stopped and but I it was hard to not laugh at it. So I pretended to be sleeping on the desk, resting my head on my elbows.
"Oi get up," said Ash, tapping my shoulder. "Didn't you get enough sleep last night?"
"I did," I said, sitting up. "I just had to hide my laughter."
There came a muffled giggle from Ash. The class went on and it was kinda boring. Turns out, Ash doesn't actually listen to music in class. Only sometimes. She just wears the earphones so that people wouldn't wanna talk to her.
"Yeah but my plan failed," said Ash during recess. "Because you actually nudged me to talk to me."
"Well I was excited to know that someone else besides me shares my preferences in music," I said. "You know, you're literally the only one that I know that likes playing fighting games besides me."
"Yeah me too," said Ash, nodding. "You're the only one I know too."
"Wait why aren't you eating?" I asked. She had food in front of her, but she wasn't eating. "I know what you look like, remember?"
"Oh right," said Ash and took off her mask. "Yeah I almost forgot about it."
She looked kinda different without the mask. She looked better, she only looked creepy because of her stare. It just made everything creepy. It's a good thing she didn't wear dark lipstick or anything.
"It's actually really uncomfortable to wear this much makeup around my eyes," said Ash, eating her food. "It kinda feels... heavy."
"Yeah I feel you," I said. "As soon as I get home from an event, the first thing I do is remove my makeup."
"Yeah same," said Ash. "I prefer not wearing any makeup."
Just then someone appeared at the table. Ash quickly put her mask on.
"I can't believe that you're actually friends with her," said Daniel, appearing at the table. "I mean even after you caught her peeking into the boys' bathroom the other day?"
"Wait what?" I asked. "How did you know?"
"Well, my man Matthew saw you," said Daniel. "He saw this creep running away when you caught her."
"She was looking for something," I said, trying to cover up for Ash.
"Looking for what?" asked Daniel. "For me? Wait how do you eat with that thing on? Do you absorb the food or something."
"Mind your own business," said Ash, annoyed. "I was looking for my earbuds. I thought you stole it, so I was seeing if you had them. Turns out, I left them in class."
"Now why would I want your ugly earbuds," said Daniel. "Bet they're trash compared to my Airbuds. Wireless, and easy."
"Lose one of them and you're done for," I said. "I mean, if they're connected with wires, you won't lost them as easily."
"Whatever," Daniel said, turning to walk away. He turned back to me for a second. "You're just jealous."
"Well we were anything but jealous," I said, turning to Ash who was taking off her mask to eat. "He's just flexing his wealth."
"Wonder where he gets his money..." said Ash. "For all we know, the police suspicions of it being illegal money may be true."
We finished eating and tried finding Daniel. We saw him entering the library.
"Is he gonna hit the books or something?" I asked and Ash shrugged.
"Only one way to find out," said Ash, running towards the library. "Or maybe he just wants to feel the air conditioner."
We put our stuff outside, and went in. We saw him sitting on one of the tables in front of the air conditioner. We sat at the table next his. He looked disapprovingly at us, but didn't think much of it. He was reading a book. A book? What book was he reading?
"Can you tell what book he's reading?" asked Ash. "I can't see from where I'm sitting."
I nodded at her and leaned forward to see the book. He was reading a Hardy Boys Adventures book.
"It's a Hardy Boys book," I said, leaning back. "I can't really see the tittle, but it's one from the Adventures series, the one that depicts them in the modern era."
"Have you read them?" asked Ash. "You're always reading..."
"No I didn't read all of them," I said. "I only read two of them. The books are quite rare."
I leaned forward again and this time Daniel, looked at me confused. Uh oh...
"What are you doing?" asked Daniel, laying the book he was reading on the table, face down. "Are you trying to sit on the table?"
"Umm no," I said and quickly saw that tittle of the book he was reading. 'The Phantom Heist.' I read that book! "That's a really good book. Do you like it?"
"What?" asked Daniel, lifting the book. "You read this?"
"Yes I did," I said. "It's good. About some spoilt girl's party getting crashed."
"I see..." said Daniel and took the book to the counter. Ash and I just looked at each other in confusion. Was he borrowing the book?
"Is he borrowing the book?" asked Ash and I shrugged. "He likes reading the Hardy Boys?"
"I have no idea," I said. "Come, lets see if he is borrowing the book."
We took a random Hardy Boys book from the same series from the shelf behind us. We headed over to the counter and sure enough he was borrowing it. Wait what?
He borrowed it and left the library. Ash and I were confused. Ash left the library to see what Daniel was doing and I borrowed the book. I went out to see Ash and Daniel staring at each other.
"Why is your friend so creepy?" Daniel asked me. "Look at her, she's been staring at me ever since she came out!"
"I don't know," I said, grabbing my stuff. "Why don't you ask her?"
"She give me goosebumps," said Daniel, backing away. "I'm gonna make an exit. See ya!"
He ran away. He just ran away without looking back. He borrowed the book though.
"Oi what were you trying to do?" I asked Ash. "Were you trying to give him a hint that you're a spy?"
"No," said Ash and started laughing. "It was fun to creep someone out, especially because he started sweating like he was in a sauna!"
"You really are a weirdo, Ash," I said. "One minute you're a cheerful happy girl, and the next, you're an emo girl that creeps everyone out. No one wants to even come your way."
"Honestly, even I don't wanna come across emo Ash," said Ash. "I think I might win the Oscar for being able to act so differently."
We headed back to class and seated ourselves next to each other. Daniel was on the other end of the classroom, reading the book that he borrowed. His friends were looking at him weirdly.