Encountering Daniel

Penelope POV
"I don't know how I'm gonna do it," I said with a gulp. "It's gonna be hard, but I think I'll go through with it. It's easier for you, all ya gotta do is be serious and speak with a deep voice."
Ash gave a light gasp and started pulling me into the wig section as soon as the cashier was done packing our stuff. We waited there and Ash kept peering over the shelves that held the wigs.
"What are you doing?" I asked. "Why are you pulling me?"
Ash just shushed me and continued peeking over the wigs. What was she looking at? I fixed my gaze at where Ash was looking. And then I saw them. Lo and behold, Daniel and his father had come to do some last minute deco shopping. Daniel's father looked like an older version of Daniel. Same face, same height, just older and less annoying.
He didn't really look like a snob despite being rich. He looked modest. They were buying jack o lantern baskets, some masks and a few cloaks.
"This would be perfect for the mannequins at the entrance!" exclaimed Daniel, grabbing the things. "They would look SICK in these decorations!"
"Go ahead, son," said his father. "Take whatever you want. It's your party after all."
They turned the other way and went into the isle that had those creepy fake reptiles.
"Now's our chance!" whispered Ash and signalled me to follow her out. "They're busy choosing reptiles."
We ran out of the store and headed for the bench that was well away from the shop. We sat there and had a good laugh.
"If they saw us, our plan to go to the party uninvited would have been a miserable failure," I said. "It's a good thing you saw them before they saw us, or else we would've been exposed!"
"I know right!" said Ash. "I was like oh my gosh is that Daniel?! That's why I just pulled you away."
"It's a good thing too," I said. "I was so confused that I didn't even know what was going on!"
We were busy laughing when suddenly I realised that Daniel and his dad were walking towards where we were. They were carrying a big bag of stuff. I started to nudge Ash to make her stop laughing.
"Uh Ash?" I said, trying to make her stop laughing. "We've got company!"
"Uh oh," said Ash, when she saw Daniel and his father approaching. "What do we do now?"
"We just quietly get up and walk into the nearest shop," I said. "Come on, quick."
We got up and walked into the nearest shop, as calmly as we can. The shop was a nice looking boutique. We waited at the entrance and watched the father and son walk by.
We heaved a sigh of relief and decided to look around the shop we were in. The clothes looked good. We looked at the price tags and the prices were not bad. In fact, they were good! We shopped and I bought a cute sundress. Ash bought the same dress too.
"Now we can wear matching clothes," said Ash, paying for the dress. "We should take a photo together, wearing that dress in the future."
"Yes we should," I said, nodding. "We should do that after your mystery is solved."
"Oh come on," said Ash. "That would probably take forever..."
"Okay fine," I said. "Next week."
"Yay!" exclaimed Ash, loudly and threw her fists up in triumph. "Woo yes!"
Now everyone were staring at us because of Ash's loud exclamation.
"Stop that," I said. "Everyone's staring at us..."
"Oh sorry," said Ash, looking around in embarrassment. "Come on, let's just get out of here..."
We left the shop and booked a taxi. We were going to my place to see the stuff that we bought. My parents would only come in an hour.
"So we're going to the Halloween party that we weren't invited too," I said. "That's awful..."
"Nah," said Ash. "We're going there for a reason. It's for our case."
"Yeah fine," I said. "Your costume actually looks awesome! For a mall costume shop outfit, it actually looks really good."
"I know right," said Ash, taking out the mask and putting it on. "Do I look like Batman?"
"Yes you do," I said with a laugh. "But what are you gonna do with your hair?"
"I'll figure something out," said Ash, taking the mask off. "So I guess I'll come over to pick you up tomorrow for the party at seven."
"Okay," I said. "I guess I'll start getting ready hours before then."
"Yes yes," said Ash. "Do it carefully. We must get the best costume award!"
"Are they even gonna have a competition for that?" I asked, doubtfully. "What if there isn't?"
"There is," said Ash, taking out the invitation from her purse. "It's written on the invitation. It says here, two people with the best costumes receive a surprise gift."
"Oh," I said, reading the invitation. "One question. Why are you bringing the invitation wherever you go?"
"I have no idea," said Ash with a shrug. "I left it in my purse, just in case, you know?"
"Yeah but don't forget to bring it tomorrow," I said. "If you leave it behind, I'll have to go alone..."
"No of course I won't forget it," said Ash. "I'll have it with me. Right here in my purse."
Ash left when my parents came. I had dinner with my family after that. We talked while eating.
"So have you gotten your costume for the party tomorrow?" asked mom. "You said you wanted to go get it today right?"
"Yes we did," I said. "Ashlianna and I bought the costumes a few hours ago at the mall."
"What are you two going as anyway?" asked dad. "Both of you are going in costume right?"
"Yes we are," I said. "I'm going as Joker while Ashlianna is going as Batman."
"Wait what?" asked mom, surprised. "Batman and Joker? Together? So you're going as enemies?"
"Nah," I said. "We're just doing it for fun."
"Okay then," said mom. "Want me to help with the makeup?"
"Sure!" I said happily. "I'm so gonna need some help with it..."
"Yeah," said dad. "Especially because you're bad at painting..."
"I know I'm a messy painter," I said. "I never said I'm good at painting. Anyway, thanks mom..."
We played a game using our home console before going to bed. The next day, we woke up late and just sat around. Around four, I started to get ready with my costume. I put the costume on and mom came in to help me with the makeup. It took us a while, but it was worth it. It looked good.
Turns out, I was ready an hour in advance. So I just took photos and decided to play a game on my phone in the meantime. I took a selfie and sent it to Ash.
According to her, she wasn't even ready yet. In fact, she said she hasn't even started yet. I can't believe this girl...