Ash Extras: Part 5

The next day, I went to school again. I was a little happier now that I had a friend. I entered my class and realised that Penelope was shoving her stuff under Lea's desk. Does this mean that she isn't here?
I think I'll join her for today. I mean, I'm sitting alone, and she's sitting alone now too. I might as well join her. She wouldn't mind... right?
I went to her and tapped her shoulder. She turned around and looked kinda shocked.
"Can I sit here?" I asked. "I noticed that Lea isn't here today, so can I sit here instead?"
She agreed and started taking her stuff out. Phew. I was afraid she was gonna reject me. She started asking me about my old school and stuff like that.
I took my phone out and started to read while listening to music on my MP3 to avoid more questions. Penelope looked kinda weirded out but didn't say anything.
Janet and Kate came in and I could actually feel that they were talking bad about me but I just ignored and continued reading this book. After all, that's like way better than hearing gossip about me right?
Penelope told them something and then they just sat down to do their stuff. After that, I felt Penelope staring at me for some reason. I think she's thinking why I wanted to sit with her if I just wanted to use my phone and stuff.
I was very engrossed in reading when Penelope suddenly nudged me. I looked up and saw the teacher coming in. Shoot!
I quickly pulled the earphone wires out of my ears and shoved it under the desk.
The teacher was saying something about our essays again. She was holding up one particular essay that was written in pink paper. If I'm no mistaken, I realised that we were the only ones that handed the essay in paper that was a different colour besides white and yellow.
Penelope couldn't really tell if it really tell if it was our essay but I assured her that it was. So we got the 'Best Essay In Class' award again woohoo.
"So I read your essays and this is the best essay so far," said Miss Smith. "This one is also by Penelope and Ash."
"See," I told Penelope. "I told you."
She nodded without looking away from the teacher. This time she gave us a comprehension worksheet. So we just did our work and I went back to the book I was reading. It was a good book and I liked how whoever this Poppy is, wrote this book.
English class was over and history period came. Our history teacher was also our PE teacher. She makes us do some extreme stuff. Poor Penelope fell flat on her face during one of them.
The teacher forced me to bring the first aid kit and Penelope was just like...
"It's just a scratch, it's nothing," said Penelope. "But it does kinda burn, so I think I'll just have some yellow lotion."
So that's what I did. I just gave her some yellow lotion and she volunteered to do it herself. But it was quite a fall since she actually hit the metal bench that she was supposed to jump over.
So the teacher just allowed her to sit and we continued with the lesson. She looked happy because she was reading our literature novel.
Alright now, back to reality. Now it's history class and everyone's waiting for it to be over so that we can go for recess. Finally, recess came and I went to the cafeteria and Penelope followed. We had break together again.
So I bought some food and waited for Penelope to finish her meal so that I can eat in peace. She finally left and told me that she'll be in the library.
I ate as fast as I can and went to the library. She was there, looking at her phone. I sat in front of her and continued reading that book.
"Hey Ash," Penelope called and I just kinda hummed in reply. "Mind if I ask you a question?"
Uh oh... what is she gonna ask me? Something tells me that it's gonna be hard to answer.
"Depends on what the question is about," I said, without looking up from my phone.
"Well..." Penelope began. "Why do you only eat after I leave the cafeteria?"
Oh no! What am I gonna say? I can't just say that I don't wanna show her my face because I'm a top secret agent or something like that, right? That would ruin everything!
Okay, calm down, Ash. Calm down. Try to answer her as calmly as you can. You can do this!
"No reason, really," I said. "I just wanna eat in peace. I like tasting every bit of the food."
She looked kinda confused. She definitely didn't buy that. Okay, I'm screwed...
"Well if that's the case," Penelope said. "Then how did you eat so fast?"
Okay now I really am screwed. What am I gonna say? It just feels like my brain just broke down and it's not gonna give me any answers. It's like, 404 error or something.
I just decided to say to just act casual.
"I don't know," I said with a shrug. "But yeah I do taste every bit of the food..."
After that she just nodded and said nothing. She continued to look at her phone. I hope she bought what I just said. I doubt that she believes me but I still hope she does...
After that, we went to the bathroom and then back to class. We sat next to each and our maths teacher came. Seriously, I don't know how that old hag became a teacher. She's so boring and clearly too lazy to teach...
But finally maths was over and now it was relieve period because the teacher wasn't here woohoo! But I decided to finish my homework so that I'm free later.
I finished my homework and started reading that book, again. I'm actually half way through and this book was looooong. It had ninety chapters! I mean, sixty something and like thirty extra chapters....
The class was really noisy so I just decided to plug in my earbuds and listen to music.
"Hey Ash," Penelope said, nudging me.
"What?" I asked, turning to her after pulling out my earphones. "What is it that you wanted to ask me?"
Well she looked kinda shocked and she almost fell off her chair when I turned to her. Sorry for scaring you like that, Penelope...
"Well..." she said, thinking. "Why do you wear a face mask?"
Uh oh... I had no idea what to say! It's like, my brain was buffering and it was taking a really long time because of the slow internet. I was just like 'uuuuhhhhhhhhhh....' because I couldn't think of an answer. Oh no what am I gonna say?