Chapter 61: forbidden touch

Next morning I jumped out of my bed when the first light touched the horizon. Draco had quidditch lessons at sunrise today. I would confront him about the memory loss. I was determined to make everything right again, trying so hard not to look at the ink above my wrist. I dressed myself and hurried outside towards the quidditch pitch. Breakfast wasn't served for another hour or so. I was so nervous about my confrontation with him, that I wasn't even thinking about food at all. In the past couple of days I had lost a lot of weight. I couldn't keep anything down. In a rush I put my shoes on, not tying my shoelaces. Outside, I saw the Slytherin team prepping for their practice.

"Draco!" I shouted, rushing towards the field, sweat glowing on my face.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He was snappy, which I had expected.

"I need to talk to you, it's urgent!" I sighed out of breath.

"Yeez, I have practice." He tried walking away. I held him back by his arm. His reaction scared me.

"DON'T YOU DARE FUCKING TOUCH ME, CREEP!" And he flew off with his broom towards the pitch. I took a big step backwards in disbelieve.

"Fuck." I said to myself. How did I manage to fuck this up this bad? I couldn't wait, this needed off my chest. I looked behind me to see that the door of the storage room was still open. In the morning light I saw an old, but decent, nimbus 50 standing against the wall, ready to be used. I rushed towards the room and took a close look at the broom. Everything seemed fine with it. Probably not new enough for the Slytherin team. I took a deep breath in and embraced the fact that I would make a fool out of myself and get yelled at. I jumped on the broom while yelling "UP!" To my surprise, the broom was eager to be used. I was a few meters up in the sky when my shoe slipped off the handle and almost lost balance. My untied shoelaces were strangled around the handle, not making it any more easy to fix my posture. My weight lifted forwards on the broom and in a sudden motion, I made a deep dive. Almost hitting the morning dawn on the grass, I pulled with all my strength upwards, happy that grass was not on the breakfast menu for me today. As I fixed my balance I flew off towards the quidditch pitch. "Here goes nothing." I tried to clear my sight by narrowing my eyes. Everyone looked the same, except for Malfoy. His platinum blond hair could be seen from miles away in this light. I flew towards him and hovered above them for a couple of minutes. The sunrays of sunshine made place for a couple of low hanging clouds, where I hid myself for a severe moment, collecting all of my bravery. Slowly, I lowered the broom. "Draco." I shouted right behind him, making him almost fall of his broom.

"Where the fuck do you come from?" He made and u-turn in the air, now facing me. "What is it, Blackburn?" He seemed less pissed that I had expected him to be. "Why are you stalking me?"

"I am not, you entitled prick!" I shouted. "If you just let me explain for once, there is no need for me to harass you anymore."

"So you do acknowledge that you are harassing me?" He smiled and looked back at his friends, still playing.

"You have to touch me."

"Excuse me?" He almost choked on his words.

"Yesterday when I slapped you, I got flashbacks from a week ago when Snape wiped my memory." Malfoy was quiet, clearly trying to hold back a laughter. "Don't laugh, I mean it Draco." I continued.

"Okay. What does that have to do with me?" He answered bluntly.

"He used the obliviate spell on the both of us." I couldn't make out a thing about his facial expressions. They seemed neutral, but curious.

"Why would he do that? And if they did, how do you remember?" He asked me on edge.

"When I touched you yesterday, they all came back. You have to touch me!" I repeated myself.

"Draco?" A boy from his team shouted? "Almost done with that chick, we are waiting?" Another one shouted. Draco lifted his hand and all of them stopped talking.

"This doesn't make any sense, Victoria." He said uncomfortable. "When you slapped me, my skin touched yours too. And nothing. Maybe you are just lying, trying to manipulate me." Draco said in a low voice. "That dark mark I set." He nodded at my wrist. "I touched you then, nothing." He lifted his eyebrows, mockingly.

"Okay, then touch me." I answered, sticking my hand out. He looked at me like I had just risen from the death. "If my theory isn't correct, you have nothing to worry about. So touch me." I dared him, looking straight into his icy blue eyes. In a quick motion he touched my sleeve. "My skin Draco. SKIN." I spelled every letter out loud. He looked anxious.

"I can't." He said confused.

"Why?" I asked him, proving my point. "See how you can't touch my skin? When you gave me this abomination on my wrist, you did it through my sleeve! You subconsciously know that u can't touch me. It's very smart of them to be honest."

"You are bullshitting." He said angry all of the sudden.

"I dare you to touch me." I said. "They are playing you, Draco." I said.

"Leave me the fuck alone!" He screamed and flew away, off the pitch, pushing someone of his broom in the meantime. Unbelievable.