Epilogue

"Draco." My father called for me, piercing the thick silence hanging over us all. Everyone turned their head towards me. They must laugh in themselves. Bad cocky Malfoy that doesn't want to join his own side. Pathetic. Victoria tightened her grip around my hand, it brought me back towards the words of my father on the other side. "Draco, boy." He said more desperate. I didn't had a choice. I wish I just ran away with her when we still could. "Come, Victoria." He stared at the girl besides me, knee high deep in this mess because of me. "You belong with us." He said it as if they weren't planning on marrying us off. Victoria stepped forward first, dragging me behind her. The courage this woman had was something I will never have. I could feel every pair of eyes burning in our backs as we walked over to the other side. My mother took me in her embrace.

"Good boy." She whispered in my ear while stroking my hair. I turned around, anxious on where Victoria was. She was still standing in the middle of the crossing, trying to bare a hug from the dark lord himself. I could just imagine the smell. Only once, I had been that close to him. It was when I had warned Victoria about the burrow. My punishment wasn't worth repeating.

"Good girl." The soulless creature spoke to her. I breathed again when she joined our crowd. I eyed her from head to toe, a voice in me saying it could be the last time. I swallowed the thoughts away the moment they came, I couldn't bare them. Tears stained her beautiful round face over the loss of her friend. I let my eyes follow hers. Harry potter hanged from the giants arms like a rag doll. He was never my friend, but no one deserved this faith. I felt anxiety rise up in me. I hadn't been completely honest with the ones still around me, too afraid that the truth would reveal itself and endanger my life. Her life. The truth was, that I was a coward. The crowd grasped for air and the students cheered. I flung out of my mind to see that the body of harry had fallen onto the ground. No, he stood up.

"He is alive!" I heard people behind me gasp. I couldn't help but feel an overpowering joy rising in me. This wasn't over yet. I looked over at Victoria, who was clearly feeling the same. I wanted to grab her hand, but I was too afraid to aim attention on us. The crowd around us panicked. "This can't be true." Someone whispered. "This ain't right." One by one, death eaters were retrieving and fleeing for their lives. Looking backwards, I should have done the same, but I would never have left without her and she would never leave her friends behind. So here I was, losing everything and I didn't even realise it. I saw Harry looking at Victoria in distress. She was the first person he looked at. I looked over at her. She nodded. Her eyes met mine and gave me a look so disturbing I knew what she was up to. She knew. She knew the wand wasn't Snape's. She knew it was mine and she knew it was Harry's now. She was going to get herself killed. She tried to say goodbye.

"My ass." I whispered to myself, my jaws locked. The boy looked at her again. Now or never. I broke free from the grip of my mother. I would have pushed Victoria back, but I was faster. I caught a glimpse of her face. Confusion and anxiety overflowing her eyes. It would be all right, I wanted to shout at her, but I couldn't. I sprinted over the crossing and threw my wand towards Harry Potter. I could hear my mother cry it out from a distance. I sprinted inside the castle, everyone on my path clearing the way for me. Maybe I could have a redemption after all. I was lucky I got to a good hiding spot. The chances of me surviving that act were as small as surviving the death curse. I got a big target on my back now. But I didn't mind. Better that the target is aimed at me than at Victoria. I thought in myself. I sat there for what felt like hours. Listening carefully who was approaching and what was going on outside. I heard the cracking of wood, stones that fell and people that screamed. I hold my breath when I heard a dragging sound coming up the stairs where I was hiding. Fuck.

"Draco!" A sharp voice screamed.

"Over here!" I didn't had to look to know who it was. Her voice was raw and she was dragging herself up the stairs. "What happened?" The side of her t-shirt was stained with blood and her face was paler than ever.