Chapter 66: cold stone hug

I woke up with a start. Jumping on my feet, looking at my surroundings. I was still in the harbour, dead Snape besides me. Harry had knocked me out with a spell.

"Shit." I grabbed my wand from the floor and sprinted towards the edge of the castle grounds. Stopping at the gate of Hagrid's house, I peered into the forbidden forest, trying to locate any movement or noises. I heard nothing. This was searching for a needle in a haystack. I couldn't help Harry from here, so I returned to the castle, trying to find Ron or Hermione or literally anyone who would know what he was up to or could help. I had no idea for how long I had been knocked out for. My thought went over to Draco. A knot tightened inside my stomach, I hope he was okay, or at least alive. The school was not recognizable anymore. Bodies decorated the floor, blood painted the walls and the noise of crying people filled the air. I looked around for familiar faces, my anxiety spiking up every time I didn't recognize someone. I didn't dare look at the ground, afraid I would recognize someone. "ANNA!" I screamed out of the top of my lungs. I crushed myself into her arms and couldn't supress a sob. She reached for her right side when I embraced her. I drew back. "Are you hurt?"

"Probably just a broken rib." She shrugged. "I was so worried about you, I couldn't find you and when I found Draco I..." She rambled.

"You found Draco?" I broke her off. "Is he okay?"

"Yes he is. He is in the dungeons." She said. Without any hesitation, I set off towards the dungeons when Anna drew me back by my robe. A hand grabbed my shoulder. I didn't need to turn around to know whose it was. I dug myself into his chest and he hugged me back tightly. A tear rolled down his cheek. Anna pulled my sleeve again. In the distance a parade was coming our way. Led by Voldemort, followed by...

"Is that Hagrid?" Draco asked, his voice sore. I almost choked when I saw Hagrid, in chains, carrying a lifeless body. Everyone gathered around the castle door, looking at the wall of death eaters coming our way.

"Harry Potter is dead!" The demon shrieked.

"NO!' Ginny's scream when through bone and split the air. She was standing a few meters farther away from us, with Ron, Hermione and Neville. I could feel her sadness and grieve. I was feeling it too. it tore me up of from within. A wave of guilt washed over me. Was I the only one who knew what Harry was up to? Am I part of the reason he is dead? Draco took my hand into his and squeezed it tightly. I had to spare the emotions for later. This was about survival. I saw Fred in a distance, blooded from head to toe. My heart made a turn when he saw how bad of a shape he was in. I wanted to make everything good with everyone. No more fights, no more yelling. Just getting along and love. The darkness overtook my brain again. The mark won't let you. Nobody will want you as a death eater. The voice was probably right. The grip on Draco's hand brought me back to reality. Harry is dead.

"Surrender yourself, and join us. The side that will win." The demon announced. Nobody moved. Suddenly I was very aware of the fact that we were standing at the wrong side. Draco stiffened besides me. It was very quiet. I looked besides me. Anna had disappeared and stood opposite of us, with mother.

"Draco." Lucious cut the silence. "Draco, boy." He gestured to cross over. Everyone looked at us, the two Slytherins who turned bad. Draco looked blankly in front of him, his face painted with pain. "Come, Victoria." Lucious drifted his attention towards me. "You belong with us." He said friendly, almost as an invite. I looked besides me. Hogwarts students making a circle around us as if we were contagious. I caught a glimpse of Fred, instantly wishing I didn't. His face was washed away with disbelieve and disgust. I felt like I had no other choice. Nothing to lose, but Draco and Anna, who both belonged to the dark side. With big effort, I made my legs move and stepped forward, dragging the blonde boy who I was madly in love with, with me. A cheer broke down from the death eaters. Every step I took, pained my joints and my muscles. My body was physically protesting my crossing. I let go of Draco's hand. Letting him walk towards his parents, already knowing that the dark lord is approaching me.

"Good girl." He said. He came to halt right in front of me and gave me a stone cold unwelcome hug. I stopped breathing for a moment, tensing every muscle in my body. I didn't dare look around me. A student fucking the son of a death eater and now hugging Voldemort. I couldn't go back now, even if I could escape the dark mark, they wouldn't want me back. I broke away from the hug and joined the crowd. I looked over at Hagrid, grieving the death of a fellow friend when the body of Harry fell toward the ground and jumped onto his feet. I Drew back in shock.

He is alive.