Chapter 67: my golden place

A cheer broke from the students. I had to retain myself to not cheer with them. I would get murdered on the spot. Harry looked over at me with a meaningful look and then at his friends on the opposite side. I looked over my shoulder at Draco, who was intensively looking at me. A fuss broke down from the death eaters. Most of them looking confused and scared at the dark lord, some of them took the risk and fled. Voldemort didn't knew what we knew. He couldn't kill Harry with the elder wand he was using, because a wand can never kill its owner, which was Harry. As long as Voldemort didn't figure this out, he was safe. which brought us to the next challenge. The wand of Harry was connected with Voldemort's, they simply cannot kill each other with their own wands, they have to use different ones. Voldemort thinks he is already using a different wand and is able to kill Harry, which is not true. A wave of hope overcame me with the realisation that we are in our favour. I looked back at Harry, who was again giving me quick but meaningful looks. I had to give him my wand. Okay this was it, my hero moment, saving us all, after betraying all of them. Maybe I would still make it to heaven if I set this right. I breathed in deeply and gave Draco one more look. A little longer than I should have. It was like he could read my mind. Like he knew what I was about to do. Draco bursted free from the grip of his mother and sprinted towards the opposite side, passing Harry. He threw his wand onto the ground in front of Harry and ran as fast as he could inside the castle to hide. My heart jumped inside my ribcage, almost vomiting. He had sacrificed himself for me and everyone else. Screams filled the thick air. Most of the death eaters were running now they saw that their odds were not in their favours. Spells started to fly in the air again. The war wasn't over yet. I stormed inside, crossing the other side. Passing through Harry and Voldemort I got hit by a spell in my right flank. I fell onto my knees on hard stone, blood rushing from my insides. I scrambled myself up and crawled inside. Looking back, I saw Voldemort and Harry in a duel. Before me Neville was about to behead Nagini. Of course, it all hit me. Nagini was one of his horcruxes. I crawled up the stairs to look for any sign of Draco. I didn't believe he left without me. "Victoria here!" He whispered from my left. He was hiding in a cupboard that was somehow still standing. "What happened?"

"How did you know?"

"I knew enough the way he looked at you and how you looked at me. It was a goodbye." He said while lifting my shirt to see the damage. "Just a wound, you will be fine once the bleeding stops." I nodded. "You remember your plan to run away?" He asked me. "We need to do it now." He urged me to my feet and led my out of the room.

"How? This place is crowded and we are now blood traitors on both sides." I almost screamed.

"We have to make a run for it." He said with a straight face. He kissed me one more time before we ran for our lives, leaving everything and everyone behind. The chaos was even worse than expected. Harry fighting Voldemort, Students against the few dead eaters left who really believed in their dark lord or were just too scared to take a run for it. A big hairy death eater came into my vision. Draco yelped besides me. I turned around to look at him, something had hit him. He shot a spell back and finished the job by knocking out his opponent. I looked in front of me again, seeing that a red haired tall figure stood now in between me and the tall hairy death eater. I recognized Fred and my heart made a little jump. The hairy man swung his wand in the air and a green spell seized out if it, hitting Fred in the chest.

"NO!" I dropped everything. I sprinted towards Fred and threw myself in between the big wizard and him, tears blurring my gaze. I saw Draco in a distance not knowing what was happening. "Avadakada-" I wanted to shot back. Another green light hit my flank and lifted me up in the air for a couple of seconds. I remember that I looked at my side, seeing how Harry finally destroyed the dark lord, his body turning into ashes. At my other side, I saw my friends. Hermione, Ron, Anna and Derek. I couldn't make out their facial expressions anymore. With a hard crack I fell back onto the ground, feeling as if my spine was bend in half. A vague figure hovered above me. I think it was Draco. I felt hands on my body, not being able to exactly locate them. The thickness of the air was intoxicating here. I wondered what moved the dust particles around me. They look like little meteorites, small but infinite. I saw a star through the trees, it said hello. We've met before at the river. It was dancing then. As the ashes fell from the sky, I took my last breath, pretending that it was not ashes settling upon my skin, but that it was snow. I closed my eyes now to see clearly, the darkness appeared to comfort me. This feeling is familiar, but am not sure why. Then my meteorite came, illuminating the dark ashy sky, taking me with it to my golden place.