Chapter 18 - "Because I Want to be Caught."

- Chapter 18 - A Visit to the Refuge -
Warnings: Soaking, beatings, crying
Third Person POV

Race takes deep breaths as he walks towards the building.

It was a terrible building, one he hated more than the home he had grown up in.

Race kept reminding himself that this was for Crutchie.

The only reason he was going there was for Crutchie.

Race hides behind a wall as two guards walks past him.

"You heard about the Newsies strike?" One of them asks the other.

Race gained interest on what they were talking about.

"Yeah." The other answers. "Snyder thinks we're gonna get a lot more kids in tomorrow." He says.

The first guard nods. "Serves them right." He states. "Damn kids these days are so entitled."

Race quickly ran off, deciding to stop listening before he got angry.

Entitled, Race scoffs to himself. Sure. We're the entitled ones.

Race quickly climbs up and onto the fire escape, making sure to make as little noise as possible.

Once he had made it to the top of the fire escape, he crawled over to the window of the room he knew Scraps was in.

He figured Crutchie was either in that room or Scraps knew where Crutchie was.

Scraps knew everything about the Refuge. He knew what came in, what went out.

Race knocks lightly on the bars of the window.

Scraps walks over to the window. "Hello?" He whispers.

Race pokes his head up. "Hi."

Scraps stares down at him. "Racetrack Higgins," he starts sternly. "You're one of the most injured Manhattan Newsies and one who's been here the most times- the same amount as Jack- and you're here now?" He questions, slightly annoyed with the Manhattan Second.

Race shoots him a cheeky smile, sitting up. "Yup." He answers. "I'm right here." He gestures to himself, sitting criss-cross on the fire escape.

Scraps almost facepalms. "Why are you here?" He asks.

Race deadpans at him. "Because I want to be caught." He answers sarcastically.

Scraps reaches through the bars and smacks him.

"Ow." Race grabs his shoulder, pouting at Scraps.

Scraps rolls his eyes, walking away.

Race stays there for a moment, before Scraps comes back.

A patter on the floor behind him informed Race that he had brought Crutchie.

Race looks up, his eyes immediately stinging with tears when he saw his brother.