Chapter 21 - "You Can Speak Your Mind Without Jack."

- Chapter 21 - Betrayal from a Brother -
Warnings: Betrayal, crying
Third Person POV

Race looks around the Theater.

There were a lot of people there.

Race's eyes travel over to the Brooklyn Newsies.

Guess Knobs found Dice. Race looks Knobs, who sat on Dice's lap.

Knobs felt Race's eyes on him. He looked up at him and smiled, waving.

Race waves back.

Race was shaken out of his thoughts by a panicked Davey.

"What do I do?" Davey asks Medda, panic seeping into his voice. "Jack's not here yet."

Race looks around, concern flooding onto his face. Jack's not here...

Medda shakes her head. "I'm sorry, Davey." She says softly. "It looks like you'll have to do a solo." She tells him quietly, gently patting his back.

Davey's panic started getting worse when people kept asking for Jack.

It started with just a few confused Manhattan Newsies, but people heard them, and now a good amount of the Newsies there were chanting for Jack.

Davey felt like he was drowning in his anxiety.

He was snapped back to reality when Race grabbed his wrist and tugged him to the middle of the stage.

Davey stares at him, his eyes wide and slightly startled.

Race looks out over the Theater. "Hey!" He shouts, silencing everyone. "Don't know if you've realized, but Jack ain't here yet." He starts, looking completely serious, like he was going to take no jokes.

And honestly, Race was in no mood for jokes.

Davey noticed Spot staring at Race.

He was staring at him with a lovesick look, one of admiration and longing.

"For now, here's the smarts behind the strike." Race continues. "So, shut your traps and listen to him." He snaps.

Davey stares at Race, but not in the way Spot had.

He was slightly shocked and kinda relieved.

He also knew that Race was in no mood for certain things- like Newsies being rude or annoying- at the moment.

Race turns around to face Davey, his hand on his shoulder. "I believe in you, Davey." He tells him quietly. "I believe that you can speak your mind without Jack speaking for you. You're smart. You can do this." He whispers, before walking off-stage.

Davey watches him as he goes and stands next to Albert and Blink.

Davey looks back over the Newsies. "Newsies of New York..." he starts slowly, trying to swallow his anxiety.

The Newsies stare at him, their stares piercing through his soul.

Race noticed multiple Brooklyn Newsies glaring at him.