Chapter 80 - Something Doesn't Feel Right

- Chapter 80 - I'm so evil hehe -
Warnings: injuries, mentions of drunk poker men in NYC, frustration
Third Person POV

Albert sat at the table with the other boys, his eyebrows furrowed.

Something didn't feel right.

Something hadn't feel right about this whole situation for a while.

"So," Jack sighed, staring at the map they'd come up with, "we're going to check around these areas again and possibly confront the men who play poker in those parts?"

Red nodded. "That's where we found Sling," he informed him.

Albert sat up a bit. "Do you not get the sense that maybe, Revenge still has something to do with this?" he questioned, smiling a bit when he feels Finch rubbing his back. However, that smile quickly faded when he again thought about the situation they were dealing with currently. "I think we should still confront him."

Smokes frowned. "Are we sure that's a good idea?" he questioned. "Revenge has been quiet for a while. Maybe, he's backing off."

"Revenge? Backing off?" Hotshot scoffed. "If only."

Albert pointed to Hotshot. "Maybe, he was backing off so he could plan something like this? Make us be less suspicious of him? Have us lower our guard a bit?" he suggested. "I hate to say this because it makes Race sound like an object, but Race is literally the perfect target for anyone who has beef with Manhattan and Brooklyn," he pointed out. "He can protect himself, unless you team on him. He's Brooklyn's malnourished Prince and Manhattan's sleep-deprived second in command."

"But all of that would make it easier for the drunks to get him too," Ace pointed out. "They just have no reason to unless he and his mouth angered him," he stated.

Albert frowned. He saw where Ace was coming from, but something still didn't feel right about the poker men situation.

"Spot?"

Spot turned around.

Rags stood in the doorway.

"Rags? Is everything okay?" Spot asked, standing up.

Rags nodded. "Sling's awake," he informed him quietly, not looking at anyone else in the room. "Cloth's worried about him, and about Race's possible injuries."

Spot muttered a curse under his breath.

"Sling doesn't remember what happened at all," Rags informed him. "He's trying to get up and is clearly dizzy and out of it," he explained.

Spot sighed. "I'm going to see him." He looked back at the others at the table. "No decisions are made until I get back. If you'd like to argue, remember that this is my boyfriend and my turf." He turned and followed Rags upstairs.

Specs got up and followed them.

Albert raised his eyebrows. He rolled his eyes and shook his head, leaning back against Finch.

Upstairs, Spot walked into the bunk room where Sling was. He found the boy trying to sit up on the bed and Cloth telling him not to and that it was a bad idea when he had a head injury. "Sling, lay back down," he told him.

"Spot?" Sling looked up. "Spot, where's Race? They won't tell me anything," he said quickly, trying to get up to get to him. "Did you guys find him too? Is he here?" he asked.

Spot lightly pushed Sling back down, helping Cloth lay him down.

"He's been panicking about this since we informed him that he had a head injury and that's why he was in pain, he asked how, and we explained that we found him in an alley," Cloth explained to Spot, making sure to speak quietly. "He only remembers walking with Race, then waking up here. He doesn't remember anything in between," he informed him.

Spot sighed.

"Guys?" Sling looked between the two, clearly worried. "Why won't you answer me? Where is Race?"

Spot frowned. "Uh... Race... uh... he isn't here." He cleared his throat. "We haven't found him yet."

Sling's eyes widened and he shot up. "What?!" He cringed in pain.

Cloth quickly laid him back down. "You idiot," he mumbled. He looked over at Specs.

Specs handed him a wet cloth that was laying in a bowl on the floor next to him.

Cloth nodded to him as if to thank him. He turned back to Sling and laid the cloth on his head.

Sling relaxed a bit. He still looked at Spot. "What happened? Was he taken? Did we accidentally cross into dangerous back allies?" he questioned.

"Well, no back allies are particularly safe," Rags muttered, watching him.

Spot looked over Sling. He sighed again. "We're searching for him now," he explained. "Can you remember anything else?"

Sling was silent for a moment. "No," he mumbled. "I- I can't... I'm sorry."

Spot shook his head. "Don't apologize. You can't help it," he responded, rubbing the temples of his forehead.

Sling watched him carefully. "Do... do you know if someone took him?" he asked quietly.

Spot looked at him. He sighed and shook his head again. "No... we don't," he answered. "But we think you two may have stumbled into the area where the drunks play poker all of the time and he may have angered them with his big mouth, causing them to snap," he explained.

Sling nodded.

"Anyway, I'm going to let you rest, since you clearly need it," Spot decided. He turned to Specs and Cloth. "Let me know if anything changes or happens."

Both medics nodded.

"I'll be downstairs with the others." With that, Spot turned and walked back downstairs.

Cloth turned back to Sling. "Is it only your head that's injured?" he asked.

"Well, I wouldn't say that it's inju-"

Cloth shot him a look.

Sling sighed. "Yeah, it's only my head," he mumbled.

Cloth nodded. "You know, resting will help it," he told him.

Sling nodded a bit.

Cloth looked him over again. "We'll leave you be so you can sleep," he decided. "If anything happens, call for us. One of us be in every so often to check on you," he informed him.

Sling nodded again. "Thanks, Cloth," he whispered.

Cloth nodded, taking the cloth off of his head. He grabbed his stuff, with the help of Specs and Rags, and left.

No one noticed the smirk on Sling's face.

1028 Words