Chapter 71 - His (S) Trust = His (R) Annoyance

- Chapter 71 - My Book is #1 in the Sprace tag Yayyyy -
Warnings: Worry, foreshadowing, trouble sleeping, nightmares, nothing too bad
Third Person POV

Spot smiled slightly as he looked at the sleeping boy beside him. He gently brushes his hair out of his face as it had been falling in front of the younger boy's eyes.

Spot would never forget these little moments where he was up before Race and could just admire him.

He looked so peaceful when he was asleep.

Spot's mind drifted for a moment.

"Take care of him. He has sleeping problems and nightmares most nights. I need you to promise me that you'll help him and watch over him because I can't."

Spot frowns slightly. He was just learning Race's past.

Slowly, but he was.

Jack had warned him about the nightmares and Spot had promised to take care of him.

He was trying.

Race was stubborn. It was hard to take care of him.

If Race had a really bad night, Spot would sell with him to keep an eye on him.

Other than that, Race usually went with Ace, Hotshot, Cloth, or Sling.

It was interesting to Spot.

Sling and Race had gotten really close.

Spot wouldn't have thought that Sling and Race would get close, so he was slightly shocked when they became friends.

Sling was the type of person who'd stick to themself a lot.

Maybe all it took was the right person and Race had a habit of making friends with everyone.

He was really good at getting people to come out of their shells. He could always find the one thing they'd talk about for hours.

Spot loved that about Race.

Well, that and everything else.

Spot quietly gets up, making sure Race was still asleep.

He needed the extra rest. It would help him.

Spot slowly gets ready for the day, making sure to be as quiet as he could.

He had a lot on his mind.

The one he needed to think about the most was who Race would sell with today.

Something was brewing in the boroughs and Spot wasn't sure he trusted random Newsies with Race.

If it was any other day, he'd trust Race to go with Waves, Skittery, and Tumbler, or Sling, or someone.

Spot had a sinking feeling that Revenge was planning something big, so he wasn't going to trust Race's safety with anyone.

Red and Hotshot.

Spot nods to himself.

His fourth and fifth sold with each other due to buddies (they would sell with their boyfriends, but they're in Manhattan).

They were two people he trusted with not only his life, but Race's life.

There was just something in Spot that told him that today, today something was going to happen.

Hotshot and Red would keep Race safe. He knew it.

Spot slips his pimp-cane into the belt loop he always kept in it and puts his hat on his head.