Chapter 2

Hwang Hyunjin. 

My old bully. 

Why did I have to bump into him of all people?

I quickly apologized and walked away.

Hwang Hyunjin... Even thinking of his name makes me want to throw up. 

He was one of the worst human beings on the planet, along with all the other assholes who bullied me. He was the very reason everyone even started bullying me in the first place!

- - -

It all started because, believe it or not, I was actually friends with him. We hung out sometimes in the summer, and when school finally started, we started hanging out everyday after classes. Grade 8 sucked, and not a lot of people liked me, but having him made things better. I had been friends with him for a few months, because we met each other at camp. I was so excited when I found out he was going to be in my class. Looking back on it, I was so wrong. If I could go back, I would've just never been friends with him at all. The school year had only just started and of course I sat beside him. The first few weeks of school were great. Even though he and I weren't in the same friend group, I was still glad to be friends with him outside of school. Of course, he was friends with the popular kids, and I had my quiet group of friends. Then, near the end of September, we had a big fight. I greeted him once I got to class, like I did every morning, but he ignored me. Confused, I did what any smart person would do: annoy him until he talked to me. I poked his arm, giggling. 

"Hyunjinnn, what's wronggg?"

He continued to ignore me so I kept asking.

"Hyunjinnnnnn, what's wrongggggg?"

"..."

"Hyunjin?"

"..."

"Hyunjinnn, why are you ignoring me?"

"..."

I kept on poking him. 

"CAN YOU STOP THAT?"

Before this moment he had never raised his voice at me and it completely caught me off guard. I didn't even know how to react.

"H-hyunjin, why are yo-."

"YOU'RE SO ANNOYING!"

"Excuse me? Says you, you bitch."

He looked a little hurt by my words, because I had never insulted him before. Too bad... he started it.

"Yumi, don't talk to me."

"Why are you being like this I didn't even do anything!!"

"DIDN'T DO ANYTHING? PLEASE. DON'T ACT SO INNOCENT."

"HYUNJIN, I REALLY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING! WHY ARE YOU BEING LIKE THIS?"

"DON'T TALK TO ME, I NEVER WANT TO TALK TO YOU AGAIN!"

I was hurt by his words. I knew this man had anger issues, but goddamn.

"NEVER WANT TO TALK TO ME AGAIN? FINE. I DON'T CARE."

"I NEVER EVEN LIKED YOU ANYWAYS, YOU WERE ALWAYS JUST CLINGING ON TO ME!"

"OH REALLY? 'CAUSE THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU SAID IN THE TENT THIS SUMMER."

I noticed his friends start snickering, and Hyunjin's face turned bright red. 

"I HATE YOU. JUST STAY AWAY FROM ME FATTY!"

 I was shocked. One of my worst insecurities at the time... and he used it against me

I didn't say anything after that. I was so hurt. 

"Y-YEAH. JUST STAY AWAY FROM ME FATTY!" he said, having the final say.

I turned away and ran to the bathroom crying. I could hear all of his friends laughing at me as I ran out of the classroom.

After that, his friends quickly caught on to the trend of making fun of me, and fatty became my new name. Hyunjin was the one who gave them the green light to bully me, and that's how it all started. I even overheard some of the teachers call me it, when they thought I couldn't hear them. My new life began... as one of the most hated kids in the school. 

They bullied me all year, and I ended up losing all of my friends. There wasn't a person in my grade who didn't make fun of me. I spent most of my days wishing I hadn't provoked that fight, how if I had just let Hyunjin be when he was mad, maybe things would have been different. 

I spent the whole year begging my parents to move schools, and they only let me once the school year ended. Graduation day was horrible, because my dress was too tight, and everyone made fun of me even more. Most of the kids went to Seoul High School after that, except for me. But I was glad to leave everyone. As I said goodbye to the elementary school I had attended my whole life, I thought to myself how sad it was to say goodbye to the kids I've known for so long like this. 

That night was the night I promised myself I would change for the better... and I did. 

- - -

Now looking at the school I dreaded going to so much, I realized I was fine. The old me is gone, and no one would ever treat me the way they did in grade 8 again.