Author's Note

Hi guys! I'm surprised you made it to the end. This book is long as hell. I honestly probably wouldn't even read it haha.

It's been a fun journey for those who have been here since the beginning. I actually started writing this book almost exactly two years ago. I was bored and lonely and decided to let my imagination speak for itself.

I was actually in Grade 10 when I started writing this. At the time Grade 11 seemed so far, but I ended up outgrowing the characters. It has been a little awkward writing a love story about children (since I'm a legal adult now who just turned 18, blegh), but it was still fun. I never had to worry too much about things being perfect since this is far from formal or professional. I felt like I could be myself and be weird and stupid with you guys.

I'd like to give a little shoutout to my very first reader and wattpad author buddy @artinvisual. She reached out one day to do a read for read and I was so excited since for months my story was getting zero attention. She was the person who set my this story in motion and got wattpad to recommend it to more people, including you guys, so you should be thanking her in a way. She has some content so be sure to support my author buddy!

I would also like to thank those who commented on my story. Even if it was something silly like screaming insults at the characters, it always made my day. I find you all so funny and I'm sure you're all lovely people. To those of you who reached out to me, commenting to express gratitude and support, I cannot even begin to express how much your words have impacted me. It's so mind boggling to know such kind and patient people exist in this world, and I'm so glad to have connected with you guys here.

- - -

Anyways, the tone is going to get a little dark from here forth, but I had some issues I felt were necessary to address.

First, I'd like to apologize for putting you through some of the more difficult themes in my book. Eating disorders, bullying and fatphobia.

Sometimes I really wish I left out all the fatphobia (especially since I'm aware some of you are young and I'd never want you to internalize some of the horrible things said), but I felt like the topic needed to be addressed. The words from the bullies you've read about are the voices in my own head and the voices of my father who I grew up with. I remember once I opened up about my eating disorder to him and my struggles with anorexia only for him to say "that's not an eating disorder" and give me tips on how to get away with it.

Fatphobia is a disease of the public and we are all victims. Even those who aren't necessarily "obese" are victims because no one knows what real bodies look like anymore.

Hyunjin represents the love we should be giving ourselves and the love we DESERVE. Never let your weight define the person you are, because so much more goes into a person than the way they look. I know that sounds easier said than done, but Hyunjin is such an important character for all of us. There really are people like him who will appreciate and love you for all that you are (and love your insecurities or "flaws" even more).

Luckily, times are changing. I was shocked the other day in class to have the popular pretty girls passionately speaking up about eating disorders (even binge eating disorder which I feel doesn't get enough attention). They were saying that fatphobia should die and that overweight people are not lazy, rather they are victims of a broken food system rampant with chemicals which cause many to gain unnecessary weight. These beautiful girls were the voice I've been needing to hear my whole life, and maybe even some of you guys.
My teacher fought their beliefs saying that overweight people do have control over their life and are just being lazy, but to my surprise these popular girls really fought against it negating every word my teacher said. They proudly spoke up about the importance of body positivity and how that is the most important step to fighting the problem with eating disorders, poor mental health, and so many many other problems.

I wish we could fix this broken society quickly, but at least we are slowly approaching a better reality filled with less hatred and more love. Being kind and, most importantly, being compassionate is the simple key to fixing everything that is broken.

So please, if you can take away anything from this story, learn to choose your words and actions wisely because EVERYONE deserves a good life. Everyone deserves kindness even if you think they don't "look" like they do.

Sorry for rambling, I just wanted to make it very clear that I want fatphobia to die, even if in this story it may have seemed that I was for it.
Fatphobia only encourages eating disorders (ALL kinds), and body positivity DOES NOT encourage unhealthiness.

Thank you so much for joining me in this journey. I've learned so much and I hope you've had as much fun as I did :)

I love you guys <3

- K