Chapter 52

It's been three days since school started. Luckily, Hyunjin and I have been acting normal enough. He's very flirty with me at times, but I usually shut him down. I need to stay strong... even if that's proving itself to be the most difficult task ever.

Every single time he gives me those eyes... that indescribably exciting expression he gives when his pupils widen and his features darken... God, it never fails to send shivers down my spine.

I picked on my thumbs lost in thought. 

If only picking off my skin could make my problems go away.

"How many pushups do you think I could do?"

I looked up confused.

"Huh?"

"I think I could do 50."

I laughed and rolled my eyes.

"I'd say 20 at best."

His mouth fell open in shock.

"20?! That's how highly you think of me?"

I sat back, resting my head on the brick wall behind me.

"I was actually being generous."

His brows furrowed at first, but then he regained his composure. He flashed me his stunning cocky smile, showing off his pearly white teeth.

"I'll just have to prove you wrong."

I narrowed my eyes.

"Do it."

Hyunjin quickly stood up and rolled up his sleeves. "I'm gonna blow your mind," he said and shook his limbs before quickly falling into pushup position.

I watched his muscles flex and contract as he moved up and down.

"One," he said, not an ounce of struggle in his voice.

I shook my head and laughed.

"Two... three... four..."

Eventually, I ended up tuning him out. I've been so lost in my thoughts lately... if you couldn't tell.

Maybe it was winter, or maybe it was just the stress of the consequences my stupid failed plan, but I've been feeling rather glum lately. I find myself unable to focus for very long, always quickly shifting my attention from one thing to another.

I frowned slightly, starting to pick at my thumbs again; my anxious relief not feeling so relieving.

RINGGGG!

I flinched at the sound of the loud school bells, signaling lunch was over.

"43..."

I grabbed my bag and stood up to leave. 

"No, wait! You haven't seen me hit 50!" Hyunjin exclaimed slightly out of breath.

I smiled and squatted down in front of him. "Don't worry, I trust you," I said and raked my fingers through his hair, moving it out of his face. I swear I saw his eyes sparkle for a moment, but I ignored it and walked back towards the school interior, leaving Hyunjin behind.

- - -

I looked into my reflection frowning at the stupid tiny pimple sitting on my chin. I rolled my eyes and shut my locker door gratefully saying goodbye to the small magnetic mirror on it.

I flinched at the sudden sensation of arms being wrapped around my shoulders. "Why so glum?" Immediately, I relaxed at the realization that it was just Hyunjin. I felt him rest his chin on my head and I couldn't help but smile.