Chapter 66

I actually put some effort in my appearance today. I put on makeup for the first time in weeks, and wore something that actually fit me.

As I was walking to the river, I couldn't help but twiddle with my thumbs. I was so nervous. I'm not mentally strong enough for bad news.

The sun was starting to set, and the skies were beginning to take on that comforting orange. But was it enough to calm me down? Would it be enough to stop tears from pouring out of my eyes if he really did file a restraining order against me?

I saw him from the distance, sitting on the ledge, his feet dangling above the water.

I was so nervous to approach him but knew I had to.

Silently, I sat beside him, joining him and looking down at the view of swirling waters below the sunset.

Hyunjin looks at me and I return his gaze.

"Figured you might want this back," he says, holding up my diary.

My eyes start to water, but I blink the tears away. "It's a gift. Please keep it."

He nods and stares back towards the horizon.

Was that all he called me here for? To return my diary?

"Mimi, Yumi, you made me feel stupid," he says.

I look at him, his words stinging.

"My entire life I've been betrayed over and over again."

He pauses. 

"My mom left me, my dad left me, my best friend, my only girlfriend, and the one girl I thought would be different. I should've known it was too good to be true."

My throat starts to close up, fighting the urge to sob.

I feel so guilty for everything I've put him through. I feel like a monster.

"Well, I guess some of it was true."

He lets out a small smile and looks down at my diary.

My eyes widen, a tear falling from my eye.

Is he implying what I think he is?

He looks over at me, his smile slowly morphing back into neutrality.

"I've always wondered why I felt that level of familiarity with you. I felt comfortable from the moment I met you, which always confused me. I guess it makes sense now."

I blink repeatedly, pretty confused where this was heading.

I finally gain the courage to speak. "H-hyunjin, what does this mean?"

"I've missed you."

I accidentally sob, and he wraps his arm around me, pulling me into his chest.

"I didn't think it was even possible to miss someone so much. I honestly felt really happy seeing you there on my porch. I just knew I had to stay strong and stick to what was good for me, that's why I was so rude."

"I'm so sorry," I whispered.

He shakes his head. "I just needed time to process everything. I knew you liked me, I never doubted that. You couldn't fake that night in Busan."

I blush and laugh.

"Definitely not."

"I just hated being lied to. And I couldn't believe it was really you."

I nod in his chest.

"I also felt guilty. I was mad at myself too."

I pull away. "Why? Why would you ever have the right to feel mad?"

He frowns. "I read your old journal too, Mimi. I know I should've treated you better in the past. I should have stood up for you instead of being the lame wimp I was. I created the mess and I didn't have the strength to clean it up."

I didn't really know what to say.

"I always promised myself that if I ever ran into that sweet girl again, I would apologize profusely. I guess I was also upset I was robbed of that opportunity."

I bit my lip. "Well, I think I definitely did the worst act between the two of us."

He slowly nods, which breaks my heart. "I'm glad you did though."

My mouth slightly falls open.

"If you didn't create that stupid plan, you would've never horribly flirted with me that day, and you wouldn't have caught my attention."

"Heyy," I say and jokingly frown.

Hyunjin laughs and I can't help but beam in joy.

"You're still the same Mimi I've known this whole time. I guess we just have a little more history than I thought."

Another tear falls from my eye and I hug him.

"I've missed you so much."

He smiles and rubs my back.

"Me too."