Part 25

As they entered the manor, the festivities were already in full swing, music and dance, faces mostly unrecognizable in the sea of masks and makeup. Ciel stayed close to Sebastian as they moved through the room, searching for anyone he might recognize. At the sight of the Viscount, Ciel ducked behind Sebastian, little hands tugged at his tailcoat.

"Go! Don't let him see me!" but in hiding from one threat, he was discovered by another. Elizabeth's arms engulfed him, and she shrieked his name, nearly squeezing the life out of him with her embrace. Ciel recoiled, struggling against her surprise embrace, and gasped loudly.

"ELIZABETH!" She finally released him, and he grasped at his chest, gasping for air. After taking a moment to gather himself, he looked her over. She was radiant and smiling in a knee length gown, all her petticoats, bows and ruffles matching the tone and style of Ciel's own costume. He smiled at her, offering a hand, and she pulled him forward violently, turning him around to see his full costume.

"CIEL!!! Oh, just look at you! Don't you just look perfect! Isn't he just the cutest little Ringmaster?! Except... where is your hat? I know there was a hat..." He looked up at Sebastian, confused as Elizabeth frowned and went about picking at his costume until she felt it was just right.

"Ringmaster? I'm supposed to be a Ringmaster?" The moment she stopped, Sebastian reached out and straightened the little Lord's vest and collar, paying special attention to his collar, using it to help cover the few small scratches he'd left behind the night before.

"Indeed, Lady Elizabeth... he is quite the little Master..." Ciel looked up at Sebastian again, hitting him in the thigh with this fist when Elizabeth couldn't see. "I'm afraid I must not have received a hat... I don't recall finding one." Sebastian tried not to smile and bowed his head. "If you'll excuse me..." Ciel looked panicked for a moment as his butler stepped away and started to reach out for him, but Elizabeth swept him away into the crowd, and he lost sight of him in the sea of partygoers.

Sebastian watched as his Master was pulled from group to group, fondled and pawed at by both his fiancé, and most of her acquaintances. He kept an eye on the Viscount, who was busy fawning over several young mistresses, and he was quite certain he had seen Trancy, but had lost track of him. From behind him he heard an unwelcome familiar voice speak softly into his ear.

"Your little Master is the belle of the ball." Claude stepped forward, standing just behind Sebastian's shoulder, watching Ciel as he stood with his hands on his hips, tapping his foot impatiently as he waited for Elizabeth to stop talking.

"Shouldn't your eyes be on your own Master, Faustus?" Sebastian hissed the demon's name, glancing back at him for only a moment before his gaze fell back to Ciel.

"My master doesn't require such constant supervision... yours, however, does warrant it." Sebastian shot him a look, sneering at him, his eyes beginning to glow bright "I suppose I cannot blame you... such a sensual little thing must be terribly distracting..."

"Enough." Sebastian whispered, gritting his teeth, eyes fixed on Ciel, who was desperately trying to escape his fiancé's grasp, but was still a safe distance from the Viscount.

"Put him on display and admirers will always come to gawk at him..." Claude lowered his voice, now barely audible as he leaned close to Sebastian's ear "... to imagine the taste of him..." Sebastian turned on his heel, fiery eyes burning into Claude, his expression deadly serious. He spoke softly, but his tone was intense, deep and threatening.

"And what of your little Highness, hm? Are you quite confident in letting him barter himself away for small prizes? Are you not worried there will be no soul left for you to devour?" Claude glared at him, golden eyes flashed, and he frowned, adjusting his glasses. He cleared his throat and stood tall, looking down his nose at Sebastian to impose a sense of authority.