Part 44

Only a few hours passed before Ciel woke, Sebastian stirring beside him, whispering to him. He felt Sebastian leave the bed and rubbed his eyes, still half asleep.

"Shh, Bocchan, stay here..."

"Sebastian? What's... what are you..."

"Shh!" He covered Ciel's mouth with his large hand, pressing a finger to his own lips. He listened for a moment, crawling off the bed, quickly stepping into his trousers as he made his way to the door, bare feet moving silently over the floor. Ciel sat up, eyes wide and watched as his butler leaned in towards the door, listening. Drawing the blankets up around him, as though they were an extra layer of protection, the young Lord stared at the door, his breath caught in his throat in anticipation. After a moment Sebastian stood straight, an embarrassed smile on his lips, almost laughing as he spoke. "Bocchan... I'm very sorry..."

"What? What is it? Who did you hear???" Sebastian cracked the bedroom door and in trotted his little black cat, who rubbed adoringly against his leg as she entered. "THAT CAT?" She hissed at Ciel, entwining herself between Sebastian's feet. Ciel dropped the blankets from around him, glaring at the feline as she announced her presence loudly, begging at Sebastian's feet.

"Please... Master... don't shout... Beatrice is just lonely... I've not spent a full night apart from her in quite a while..." Sebastian looked down at the cat, then back to Ciel, still looking rather embarrassed by his own hypervigilance.

"She's lonely?! So, she comes here?"

"She comes to me." Ciel sighed, crossing his arms over his chest. He watched Sebastian pick up the cat, and she immediately started purring, rubbing against his cheek, soft paws kneading at his chest as he held her. He closed his eyes, nuzzling against her cheek as she chattered at him, purring happily. "Yes, that's my little girl... she sleeps with me."

"You said you don't sleep."

"But she does." He hugged her gently and went to place her on the floor. She meowed loudly at him in protest, and he pressed a finger to his lips as he looked down at her. Ciel rolled his eyes, charmed by the affection he showed for the bundle of black fur and slipped back under the blankets.

"Fine... she can stay." Sebastian tried not to smile as he looked down at her, then back to Ciel, surprised, considering his Master's distaste for cats.

"Yes?"

"Yes. Now come back to bed." There it was, that genuine smile again, and it made butterflies rise in Ciel's stomach. He closed his eyes, curling up in the bed. Sebastian looked down at the cat, who meowed loudly once more, still begging to be held.

"You heard our Master. Come to bed, we are sleeping here tonight." She pranced around his feet as he slipped back out of his trousers, finding his place in the bed, this time lying on his back. He curled an arm around Ciel, cradling him as the bluenette laid his head on his shoulder. The cat hopped up on the bed gracefully and began to walk around, sniffing everything there was to be sniffed in this new bed. When she sniffed at Ciel he opened his eyes, watching her suspiciously until she found her place on Sebastian's stomach.

"What do you call her, again?"

"Her name is Beatrice." Ciel nodded and closed his eyes, snuggling into his place.

"Beatrice." She lifted her head, looking at Ciel, and meowed quietly, reaching out a paw to tap Ciel's shoulder.

"She is grateful." Ciel rolled his eyes, scoffing at the idea.

"Oh, how do you know? Are you telling me you speak cat?" Laughing softy, Sebastian stroked Beatrice's fur and she closed her eyes, laying her head on her paws.

"No... but I understand them. And we are both grateful. Thank you, Bocchan. Truly. Thank you." Sebastian kissed Ciel gently, and Beatrice began to purr once more. Ciel closed his eyes and listened to Sebastian breathe, and the sound of the cat's purr. Eventually he slept, and so did Beatrice, while Sebastian held them both in his arms smiling, and whispered to himself. "My two little kittens..."