Part 56

Long weeks passed and found Ciel seated at the game table in his room, watching as his broken headboard was hauled from the room, along with the rest of the bedframe. Sebastian served his tea and stood silent as Ciel supervised the goings on.

When Ciel had woken the morning after the incident and the panic attack that ensued, he was alone, and Sebastian had been keeping his distance ever since. He had neglected to schedule the servants their nights away, claiming there was extra cleaning to be done, but the young Earl was not stupid, and he knew that was not why. He had done everything in his power to make Sebastian notice him, to see that affectionate gaze again, to no avail. After the first week he had become impatient, crass and quite frankly unpleasant, and it was becoming increasingly hard to overlook as mere mood swings. He felt neglected, only beginning to realize that his longing for Sebastian's companionship ran deeper than he dared to believe, and it infuriated him. Frustrated at having his advances overlooked, he had most recently been going out of his way to annoy Sebastian as punishment.

Sebastian filled his teacup and Ciel watched him, eyes roaming over that lithe, lean body, remembering the sight of his butler in his bed, all but on display for him to admire. When garnet eyes flicked away from the teacup and met his own, Ciel looked away, clearing his throat quietly as he looked over the small group of workers disassembling his bedframe.

"What will they do with it? The mattress and bedframe?" When the workers pulled the headboard down it cracked in half lengthwise, the top crashing to the floor with a loud bang. Ciel covered his smile, stifled a laugh as the workers hurried to gather the splintered wood, whispering among themselves. As they whispered to one another they cast quick glances to the young Lord and his butler, and Ciel became more and more sure they were discussing the many ways such damage could have happened.

"I should assume it will be disposed of." Ciel nodded, taking a drink from his cup, then paused, looking up at his butler once more. Sebastian smiled politely down from behind the chair the young Lord sat in and after a brief pause, Ciel decided that since his tactless attitude had failed to get his butler's attention, perhaps a bit of kindness would do.

"Should I have it taken to your quarters? The bed you have is far too short for your height." Sebastian smiled but shook his head, leaning closer to whisper to him and the young Lord caught a faint whiff of his handsome butler's cologne.

"That is very kind of you, my Lord... however that bed is far too large for the room... and whatever would I do with such a large bed, when I do not sleep?" Ciel nodded and drank his tea, fingering the cup as he watched them begin to assemble the new frame. Frowning, the bluenette wracked his brain to think of a way to regain Sebastian's attention. Sensing his Master's frustration, Sebastian lowered his voice further, placing a hand on Ciel's shoulder as he spoke. "Unless you plan on spending time there yourself, such a luxury is unnecessary for a butler." Ciel scoffed and shot Sebastian a look, not amused by the formality of the reply.

"Shut up... I was trying to be nice." he whispered and rolled his eyes. A few of the workers were mumbling to one another regarding tools and dimensions; one in particular cast occasional glances at Ciel, eyes moving slowly over the young Earl as he sipped his tea. The moderately handsome brunette had been eyeing the young Lord since their team had come in to set up; green eyes flitting to him at every opportunity, a few whispers to one of the other workers, their eyes casting occasional glances as well. Only he dared more than a momentary glance, and Ciel noticed him right away. Not terribly unattractive, but certainly no comparison to his loyal butler. Ciel smiled as an idea formed at the forefront of his mind.

Ciel glanced at Sebastian, who was busying himself with the tea cart, then back to the worker, who smiled kindly at him. He returned the smile, sapphire eye giving him a lingering look before glancing away, fingers still fiddling with his teacup. Sebastian noticed right away, raised an eyebrow and cleared his throat; the man dropped his eyes back to the work at hand. The attention, as insignificant as it was, made Ciel chuckle softly, bottom lip caught between his teeth as he dared another glance, egging him on. Their eyes met and the man licked his lips, winking at the young Earl, who looked away, a slow blush just beginning to rise to his cheeks. Sebastian rolled his eyes, placing himself between Ciel and the worker, eyes narrowed as he looked down at his Master.

"Perhaps, my Lord, you would like to retire to the library..." Ciel looked up at him curiously; he could see the fire rising in Sebastian's eyes, the tightness in his jaw that suggested this whole ordeal was not to his liking. Ciel looked back to the worker, then up to Sebastian, offering him an innocent smile as he handed him the empty cup, feigning naiveite, pleased that his hastily devised plan seemed to be working.

"Oh? Is there something more interesting there, or are you trying to get rid of me?" Sebastian frowned, placing the cup on the table beside them and stared down at him, eyes wrathful and knowing.

"Certainly, the noise is offensive to your delicate sensibilities..."

"Oh, you are trying to get rid of me... why?" Sebastian glanced over his shoulder to the man, who had been watching, and looked quickly back to his work. The butler looked back to Ciel, his frown deepening.

"It would seem your presence is... distracting." Ciel laughed quietly and shook his head. "If you would prefer the library... perhaps the work would be completed in a more acceptable timeframe." After a moment of thought Ciel nodded, thinking about how he could play this move to his benefit.

"Yes... yes I believe I will. Stay here, do not let them out of your sight. I do not like strangers in my bedroom." Ciel stood then, straightening himself slowly, taking his time as he felt deep green eyes moving over him. He glanced to the worker and smiled a little, quietly delighting in the attention. The young Lord moved slowly as he walked towards the door, putting on a bit of a show, head raised, hips swaying, aware that his every move was being followed by those green eyes. He smiled to himself and exited, heading towards the library to initiate his plan.

Sebastian had been watching this interaction, and as soon as Ciel disappeared through the door, he glared over at the man who had been so closely watching his Master, a sneer forming on his lips. The man chuckled softly to himself as he worked, then felt eyes burning into him. He glanced up and saw Sebastian glowering at him, crimson eyes bright and full of fire as he stared through him.

"You." Sebastian snapped his fingers, motioning the green-eyed man to come near. With a brief moment of hesitation, the man stood and approached cautiously, eyebrow raised.

"Yessir?" The other workers slowed, growing quiet as they listened in, attention drawn to Sebastian, who commanded respect and compliance with his tone.

"You seem to have trouble keeping your eyes on your work." the man looked towards the door Ciel had disappeared through and chuckled quietly.

"Yeah... sorry 'bout that..." Sebastian crossed his arms before him, tapping his fingers against his upper arm.

"Are you?" Sebastian leaned close, lowering his voice. "Tell me, do you think it would be easier to focus with only one eye?" Green eyes widened and he leaned back, surprised by the severity of the threat.

"I... I..." Stumbling over his words, he took a step away from Sebastian, panicking and unsure of how to redeem himself. He glanced at the other workers and they all looked away, pretending not to have noticed his scolding.

"You... you...? It appears you have just as much trouble with conversation. Perhaps you are not so well suited for this type of work." Sebastian stepped closer, towering over the man, and stared down at him, eyes full of fire. The man raised his hands in defeat, nodded and backed away, nearly falling over the tools he had left in the floor when Sebastian beckoned him near. "Disgraceful..." Green eyes remained on the floor as he went back to his place, a little smirk now that his back was to Sebastian, and he could only see his coworkers. He could still feel Sebastian's eyes boring into him as he went back to the task at hand. "And you." The brunette looked back over his shoulder, silent. "You will keep your eyes on your work, where they belong. Yes?"

"Yessir... I hear 'ya..." Sebastian turned away, seating himself in the chair that Ciel had left vacant upon his departure. Crossing his legs at the knee, he watched them, occasionally checking his pocket watch, and growing more impatient with every passing minute.

"It's impossible to find good help these days..."