Part 33

The first rays of sun found Sebastian in the kitchen, preparing tea and breakfast, something a little more substantial than the typical scone and earl grey. Just as he started the pancakes, Baldo entered the kitchen, crashing through the door, yawning loudly.

"'ey! Mister Sebastian! You're early to breakfast... ooo... pancakes..." he peeked over Sebastian's shoulder.

"Yes, well, today is another busy day. Young Master needs something a bit more than scones and tea." Baldo dug through the icebox, pouring himself a glass of juice and leaning against the sink as he drank it, tapping his fingers loudly on the countertop.

"Sounded like he was havin' a real fit last night..." Pausing, Sebastian turned to look at him, hands still busy with breakfast.

"Yes. The nightmares."

"Didn't sound like no nightmare to me. Sounded more like..." Sebastian slammed his hand on the counter, rattling the plates and jars as he did so. Baldo straightened, quickly closing his mouth, leaning back a little from the sound.

"It was an especially vivid one, I'm afraid." He turned back to breakfast, hiding a little smile and he recalled the sounds of his little Lord's pleasure, given by his own hand.

"Musta been... sounded like a good one..."

"I'm sure he appreciates your concern, Baldo, however, young Master does not divulge such information to the servants of his household." Sebastian gritted his teeth as he finished making the pancakes, plating them with syrup and butter, blueberries and cream. He poured a glass of juice and another of milk, preparing the tea cart for its morning trip.

"I guess so... It's jus' that I heard..."

"What is it that you believe you heard?" Sebastian looked up from the cart, glaring at Baldo, who quieted and lowered his eyes.

"Jus' didn't sound like no nightmare to me. Sounded like he had him a late-night guest in there..." Sebastian raised an eyebrow, leaving the cart and quickly approached Baldo, pinning him against the sink as he leaned there. With one hand on either side of Baldo, Sebastian leaned close, his voice just a shade above a whisper.

"And how exactly did you come to hear things so clearly that you believe our Master brought a lady of the night into this manor?"

"What? No! No, that... I mean... Well, I couldn't sleep... went for a bit of a stroll around the manor..."

"You were spying?"

"NO! No... jus' went walkin' by is all... heard him makin sounds... thought I heard someone in there with him, but everybody was asleep..."

"Eavesdropping, then."

"NO! I jus'..."

"You just what?" Baldo fumbled over his words for a moment, leaning back as far as he was able to escape the intensity of Sebastian's accusation.

"It won't 'appen again... I give you my word... I won't go wanderin down by the Master's room again..."

"That's right. You won't." Sebastian stepped away and Baldo let out a breath, shoving his hands deep into his pockets and heading towards the kitchen door. "Stop." He halted, turning back to see Sebastian standing by the cart once more, finishing the plating. "You will speak of it to no one. You will keep away from his quarters unless called. And you will not wander around this manor at night. Stay in the servant's quarters if you feel the need to wander."

"Yes, Mister Sebastian." Sebastian nodded and went back to work, but Baldo shuffled his feet, pausing before reaching for the kitchen door. "You ain't gonna tell 'em, is you? I didn't mean nothin' by it..."

"Of course not. Master has more pressing matters than the large nose of his so-called chef. However, should it happen again, there will be consequences." Baldo nodded frantically.

"Ain't gotta worry... won't happen again... I jus'... I thought I heard 'em callin' for you... I was gonna come get ya... but he stopped whinin'... so I thought..." Sebastian sighed deeply, pressing gloved fingers to his temple.

"Baldo. Come here." The chef hesitated but stepped forward. "If our Master needs me, he will ring me. His wellbeing is my concern. Not yours." Baldo nodded quickly, fumbling a cigarette from the crushed back in his apron. "And whatever it was you thought you heard; you will not repeat it. I will tend to our Master, and you will tend to the kitchen, if you can manage it." He lit the cigarette and nodded quickly once more.

"Right, yeah! Yeah, I'll take care of the kitchen..."

"And?"

"And I ain't gonna wander no more."

"And?"

"And I ain't gonna tell a soul... I swear it..." Sebastian smiled and nodded.

"Very good. And if you burn Master's lunch, he will be highly displeased." Baldo nodded again, going to the sink once more, cigarette trembling between his lips as he started the washing up.

"You got it, Mister Sebastian... I ain't gonna burn it this time..."

"Good." Sebastian pushed the cart towards the door and Baldo turned to the sink, starting the dishes and mumbling to himself. Sebastian stopped halfway out the door and looked back at him. Baldo stopped, feeling himself being glared at. He glanced over at Sebastian, who narrowed his eyes. "Would you mind repeating that?" Baldo's eyes widened, and he turned away. "Now, Baldo."

"I's just sayin'... it didn't sound like no lady of the night in there with him..." Sebastian quickly approached, placing a hand on Baldo's shoulder, squeezing it hard.

"And if you so much as breathe a word of such a thing, lady or otherwise, they will be the last words you breathe. Do you understand, Chef?" He dug his fingers into the Baldo's shoulder hard, making him wince and lean down with the pressure of the hand on him.

"Yes! Yes I get it... I get it... I ain't gonna say nothin!" Sebastian released him and Baldo grasped at his pained shoulder, looking over at Sebastian, his eyes showing a mix of pain and fear.

"Very good. Get to work." Sebastian nodded and returned to the tea cart, letting the kitchen door close quietly behind him. This was dangerous. He was well aware that Baldo had a big mouth, almost as big as his flame thrower, but he was certain the theory wouldn't be repeated.