Part 53

When Sebastian returned to Ciel's room he knocked three times, waited, and entered. He found Ciel lying in the middle of the bed, draped in Sebastian's shirt with his arms wrapped around Beatrice, the blanket from his bed pulled over both of them. The cat raised her head and looked at Sebastian, and Ciel followed suit. Ciel hid his smile behind Beatrice head and mismatched eyes followed Sebastian as he approached with the teacart. Beatrice slipped from Ciel's arms and stood, stretching, and yawning loudly.

"My Lord... and Beatrice. Your midnight snacks." He pulled back the cover over the tray to reveal a glass of warm milk, a saucer of milk beside it, and two large chocolate cookies. Ciel smiled then, delighted at the sight of the cookies, and sat up, clutching the shirt and blanket closed around him, wearing it like a hooded cloak, all but his little hands and face hidden from view. The cat meowed loudly and hopped off the bed, entwining herself in Sebastian's ankles as he set the saucer on the floor beside her.

"She stayed with me... she never left my side." Ciel said quietly, holding out a hand for own milk. Sebastian handed it to him, placed the plate of cookies beside him and gathered up the clothes Ciel had thrown into the floor, depositing them in the hamper before he sat in the chair beside the bed, being careful to keep his distance and show restraint, considering the circumstances. The butler smiled as Ciel took the first bite of his cookie and made a quiet sound of satisfaction, closing his eyes to savor the taste.

"Of course she stayed. She's worried about you." Ciel snuggled into the blanket and drank a little of his milk, sighing softly. He nibbled the cookie slowly, debating whether or not to breach the topic of his fit, going over the words in his mind before he spoke. Sensing the internal struggle, Sebastian spoke quietly. "I am worried about you." A little taken aback by the emotion in Sebastian's voice, the bluenette opened his mouth to speak but stopped. Still not quite sold on the idea of discussing the event, he looked down at Beatrice, who sat beside her saucer, cleaning her whiskers. She ignored Ciel completely, leaving him to decide on his own, and he remained silent until Sebastian pressed the issue. "Tell me, little kitten?" his tone was gentle and imploring, and Ciel looked over at him, seeing that same look of what could only be described as compassion in his butler's usually sharp crimson eyes. The young Lord sighed quietly and nodded.

"Come sit with me." Sebastian smiled indulgently and moved to sit beside him on the bed, slipping off his shoes and tucking them under the bed as he did so. He sat with legs crossed before him facing Ciel, fingers entwined, elbows on his knees, careful not to come too close, for Ciel's comfort. The young Lord snuggled deeper into the blanket wrapped around him and looked up at Sebastian as he spoke. "I... I want to apologize..." The butler shook his head before the words had finished leaving Ciel's lips and cut him off.

"Bocchan, no..."

"Yes. Now shut up and listen..." Ciel took a deep breath and continued. "I don't want you to think that what happened... I mean... I didn't know I would react that way... and... I didn't mean to make you feel..." Sebastian raised his hands, negating the apology once more.

"Ciel. Stop apologizing." Ciel quieted at his name, looking bashfully up at Sebastian, eyes still wide and remorseful. "I do not need or want an apology. I only wish you would have told me." Sebastian reached out a bare hand to touch Ciel's cheek, but the young Earl leaned away, not quite ready to feel that cool skin against his own once again. "Why didn't you tell me to stop?" Ciel lowered his eyes and shrugged, placing the remaining piece of cookie back on the plate beside him.

"I don't know... I was trying to be quiet, I guess..." Sebastian sighed, looking away himself. He pressed his fingers to his temples; eyes closed and took a moment to assess the gravity of the situation before he spoke.